Running thread 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever suffered from hip bursitis? I think I might have this and it's completely ruined my progress... Had got myself down to 19m14 for 5k (pretty much the maximum distance I want to do, bar the odd "endurance" run of 10k or so) but at the moment I'm getting hip pain every time I run, and even a bit afterwards. It almost feels as if my hip is slightly burning or misshapen fit for the socket, but only once every so often not all the time. Some googling has led me to think it's hip bursitis - I'm going to go to the docs, but anyone any ideas on how long I could be sidelined for? Absolutely gutted.

I've only ever had knee & elbow bursitis but when I had it in my knee I was told that bursitis is usually a symptom of a bigger issue & while each occurrence can be treated with R.I.C.E. if the underlying cause isn't treated it would most likely keep happening.

I've only ever had knee & elbow bursitis but when I had it in my knee I was told that bursitis is usually a symptom of a bigger issue & while each occurrence can be treated with R.I.C.E. if the underlying cause isn't treated it would most likely keep happening.
Trip to the docs is definitely in order then - some further reading has made me think it might be something to do with my ITB band, but not sure if that's just a new "thing" that seems to be popping up in magazines/websites?

Anyway, managed to get out for a leisurely 5k this morning, clocking in 23.22 and not feeling any after-effects as of yet.

Trip to the docs is definitely in order then - some further reading has made me think it might be something to do with my ITB band, but not sure if that's just a new "thing" that seems to be popping up in magazines/websites?

Anyway, managed to get out for a leisurely 5k this morning, clocking in 23.22 and not feeling any after-effects as of yet.

HA! I dream of the day when I can call anything sub 25 leisurely. I had to strain every sinew to get my Parkrun PB down to 26:09

HA! I dream of the day when I can call anything sub 25 leisurely. I had to strain every sinew to get my Parkrun PB down to 26:09
Good on you man, I've still not managed a park run yet because I'd have to drive half an hour for the nearest (living out west form Glasgow) but they're probably good for running PBs I'm guessing because you can compete against others? Do you do much over 5k yourself?

Good on you man, I've still not managed a park run yet because I'd have to drive half an hour for the nearest (living out west form Glasgow) but they're probably good for running PBs I'm guessing because you can compete against others? Do you do much over 5k yourself?

Did the Great north 10k & Hartlepool 5 miler earlier in the year & Run Northumberland Big 10 Miler last weekend. I'm doing the Loftus 8 miler on the 21st & that's it for this year. I've set myself a target of at least 1 event a month over 10k from now on & I've entered next year's Greater Manchester Marathon (my 1st longer than a hm) . I'm not bad for a lad who competed at 400 metres & didn't star distance running til I was in my 30s but I doubt I'll ever be fast enough to get close to the front of a Parkrun.

Did the Great north 10k & Hartlepool 5 miler earlier in the year & Run Northumberland Big 10 Miler last weekend. I'm doing the Loftus 8 miler on the 21st & that's it for this year. I've set myself a target of at least 1 event a month over 10k from now on & I've entered next year's Greater Manchester Marathon (my 1st longer than a hm) . I'm not bad for a lad who competed at 400 metres & didn't star distance running til I was in my 30s but I doubt I'll ever be fast enough to get close to the front of a Parkrun.
Good going that though, decent schedule. What you managing to do a 10k in? I can't run anything much over that these days due to aforementioned injury problems, I also have no desire to be out on the road for much longer than an hour!

Only done 2 10k timed runs & they were both my 1st events after long injury layoffs so the best I've done is 1:08:36. If I was to do the Great North 10K today though it would be more like 55mins I think. Definitely under an hour. It would be interesting to see what I could do on a flatter course than Gateshead's though because that bank back up to the stadium at the end must steal at least a minute from someone down at my level.

Only done 2 10k timed runs & they were both my 1st events after long injury layoffs so the best I've done is 1:08:36. If I was to do the Great North 10K today though it would be more like 55mins I think. Definitely under an hour. It would be interesting to see what I could do on a flatter course than Gateshead's though because that bank back up to the stadium at the end must steal at least a minute from someone down at my level.
A bank at the end is sadistic for anyone to do, but anything under an hour is good going like.

Anyone ever suffered from hip bursitis? I think I might have this and it's completely ruined my progress... Had got myself down to 19m14 for 5k (pretty much the maximum distance I want to do, bar the odd "endurance" run of 10k or so) but at the moment I'm getting hip pain every time I run, and even a bit afterwards. It almost feels as if my hip is slightly burning or misshapen fit for the socket, but only once every so often not all the time. Some googling has led me to think it's hip bursitis - I'm going to go to the docs, but anyone any ideas on how long I could be sidelined for? Absolutely gutted.
sounds a bit like piriformis, try the pigeon pose

i had a problem in my ankle with the bursa, took me about 6 month of rest and slowly working back up to get myself back into working order, had to rest full stop for the first 6 weeks and this included 6 weeks off work as i could not walk properly at all, started walking on it properly after 2 month and then just little jogs only 200-400m after that until i was able to build up, never done the hip but if you burst a bursa you sure no about it and would not be running even if it is in the hip.

i had a problem in my ankle with the bursa, took me about 6 month of rest and slowly working back up to get myself back into working order, had to rest full stop for the first 6 weeks and this included 6 weeks off work as i could not walk properly at all, started walking on it properly after 2 month and then just little jogs only 200-400m after that until i was able to build up, never done the hip but if you burst a bursa you sure no about it and would not be running even if it is in the hip.
Well, that's reassuring that it probably isn't what I've done then. Cheers mate

Anyone do the doorstep half marathon yesterday?

Canny little course, apart from the mix up at shields, but managed to stop me watch on 1.24.54 at 13.1 for my first ever half under 1.25!
I done the marathon in 3:52 and a bit. Nice morning out.

Anyone do the doorstep half marathon yesterday?

Canny little course, apart from the mix up at shields, but managed to stop me watch on 1.24.54 at 13.1 for my first ever half under 1.25!
Top time that mate. Are the times listed on tinternet or was everyone just using their watches? Was a cold day for a seafront run like

Top time that mate. Are the times listed on tinternet or was everyone just using their watches? Was a cold day for a seafront run like
It was warm on the front, cold going through whitburn and cleadon. I never gave anyone my time like.

I need to drag myself out tomorrow, the cold has been putting me off so I must man up and get my arse out the door first thing!!!

I don't think so mate, very informal gathering organised by the strollers. Started at the shelter opposite the fountain at seaburn and finished at Latimers. Lots of confusion around shields as no marshals were on course as and only around 50 runners so we ended up taking a wrong left turn.

Very tough opening 4 miles into the wind, some tough little hills and climbs but a very enjoyable course none the less and definitely potential to grow into something bigger and better.

Fantastic goody bag and t shirt at the end (much better than most 'proper' races) and free coffee and bacon sarnies at the Mariott after made it a great day.

Well done the strollers for organising it and all for a great cause as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back