Running thread 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

out of interest, when out training (rather than a leisurely/easy run out), how many run using gps watches/smartphones to monitor their progress constantly, and how many just run by how they feel ?
I always use a smart phone on an arm band to track progress when im on the road or path - unless I am feeling shit / hungover and want it off the record :oops:

BTW - I have done about 20 miles on a treadmill this week and find it alot harder/slower than running on the street, no fresh air / boredom / flat ? Anyone else found this?

treadmills will turn you into a dullard.
i can run 25 miles outdoors but 15 mins on a treadmill and i've had enough. hats off to these folk who run umpteen miles on a treadmill but it's not for me.

out of interest, when out training (rather than a leisurely/easy run out), how many run using gps watches/smartphones to monitor their progress constantly, and how many just run by how they feel ?
I'm slightly obsessed with my gps watch, I can't run without it. even doing park runs with the bairns at 10 min mile pace I still use it. Mine broke recently so whilst awaiting my replacement I had to run with my lasses watch, which is bright purple :oops:

I'm slightly obsessed with my gps watch, I can't run without it. even doing park runs with the bairns at 10 min mile pace I still use it. Mine broke recently so whilst awaiting my replacement I had to run with my lasses watch, which is bright purple :oops:

was it a broken garmin and if so did you use their factory reconditioned replacement service? my battered old 305 got replaced with an 'as new' replacement for around £60.

Constantly monitor it although tbh I would say I largely know by feel, virtually to the second what my times will be for courses I run all the time :)

Im with you here, been doing this 2014 miles in 2014 challenge.....Down to the last 47 miles......I know that I have outlasted my watch battery a couple of times and as such I know that I have run more than the miles I can prove....I feel cheated if I do not have my Garmin on lol :oops::lol::lol:

I do, basically because I'm absolutely crap at pacing. Even before my watch I used my phone with mapmyrun.

When Im running I use Endemondo app on my phone. Quality definately recommend.

supposed to be running home today about 3.5 miles
absoloutley shattered though so will probably talk myself into pub+pint+bus home instead
really want to get fit but as soon as it gets dark i just want to be on my couch in front of the fire

:eek:D

ran home!
well i say ran
ran / jogged / walked / jogged
couldnt get going just out of breath all the time
5.5k in 33 mins ....slow for me but thatincludes walking + a few busy road crossings where i had to stop
just glad i did it - made the lager taste nicer after
brought my stuff again to do the same after work today so at least i have a time to try beat now - my competatitivitivititness will spur me on

Last edited by a moderator:
on subject of gps watches ... anybody recommend a good gps watch that includes a stopwatch facility also (surprisingly few seem to have a basic stopwatch)

cheers

on subject of gps watches ... anybody recommend a good gps watch that includes a stopwatch facility also (surprisingly few seem to have a basic stopwatch)

cheers
The Garmin 220 is just fantastic. Takes literally a few seconds to pick up satellites. But not having a stopwatch is a bit of a bugger.

I was the same, but my old NikeTomTom broke earlier this year and it was brilliant having to think about your breathing to gauge pace. I now never look at my watch for the first mile of a race.

Will be in the NE from Boxing Day for a couple of days. Are there any good races on 27/28th December? If not, will do a Parkrun.

Last edited:

This is the same for me every run has to be measured and timed, I change the pace myself in runs but I want everything recorded, the best part is seeing the improvemnts made, and every year barring injury I try to beat last year's milage so every run is recorded.

The Garmin 220 is just fantastic. Takes literally a few seconds to pick up satellites. But not having a stopwatch is a bit of a bugger.
The 220 would be ideaL mate, dunno why Garmin think runners don't want a stopwatch facility ???

Been out for a half hour easy run with the missus , it felt like 2hours

Well, looks like I may be allowed to start running again, and starting with the couch to 5k, again.

Sunday before Christmas is the starting point and then see how the Achilles holds up.

I was the same, but my old NikeTomTom broke earlier this year and it was brilliant having to think about your breathing to gauge pace. I now never look at my watch for the first mile of a race.

Will be in the NE from Boxing Day for a couple of days. Are there any good races on 27/28th December? If not, will do a Parkrun.

http://northeastraces.com

Doesn't look like any mate. . . park run will have to do :)

The 220 would be ideaL mate, dunno why Garmin think runners don't want a stopwatch facility ???

Been out for a half hour easy run with the missus , it felt like 2hours
I need a stopwatch to time the kids I coach, so have to take my iPad to the track!

Gibside 2k & 5k run on the 28th http://www.greatrunlocal.org/runs (basically greatrun trying to get in on Parkrun type runs). Plenty of parkruns around the North East. Hartlepool run is very flat if you fancy a crack at your PB.

Trail Outlaws are delighted to present our latest race the Sandstone Way Ultra. With 100km and 200km options this race follows the stunning new Sandstone Way Trail from Berwick Upon Tweed at the very top of Northumberland to Hexham at the very bottom. This is a fantastic opportunity to be one of the first people to run this new way marked trail through arguably Britains most stunning landscapes. Get on it Outlaws!!!!

http://www.trailoutlaws.com/sandstoneway.html

Anyone ever suffered from hip bursitis? I think I might have this and it's completely ruined my progress... Had got myself down to 19m14 for 5k (pretty much the maximum distance I want to do, bar the odd "endurance" run of 10k or so) but at the moment I'm getting hip pain every time I run, and even a bit afterwards. It almost feels as if my hip is slightly burning or misshapen fit for the socket, but only once every so often not all the time. Some googling has led me to think it's hip bursitis - I'm going to go to the docs, but anyone any ideas on how long I could be sidelined for? Absolutely gutted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back