Questions/Talk that doesn't warrant a new thread, thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Titus has mentioned something about this before. Other than carbohydrate replacement post-workout, timing of protein doesn't seem to be too important.
Will post a recent review paper later that echos what I've posted on here before that overall macronutrient intake is way, way above timing.
Even then, there's a bigger 'window' that most expect
Cheers. My reading into it is that's there's an anabolic window around training, and something to the effect of maintaining an insulin spike in that window further increases protein synthesis to the muscles... Or something like that. Basically, I'm just looking for any gains I can get :lol:

Cheers. My reading into it is that's there's an anabolic window around training, and something to the effect of maintaining an insulin spike in that window further increases protein synthesis to the muscles... Or something like that. Basically, I'm just looking for any gains I can get :lol:

This is an open access paper, so anybody can read the full text. The authors are fantastic

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

This is true, soon as you finish training you want create an insulin spike and also get a protein shake down you, they say the window is about an hour after you workout but just do it as soon as you finish training

This is an open access paper, so anybody can read the full text. The authors are fantastic

Only about half way through at the moment, but a very interesting read. I'm sure alot of supplement companies wouldn't entirely approve. :lol:

A couple of observations so far. The stuff regarding glycogen is good. Which I'm going to look into further because it could be really beneficial to my cycling. I take BCAA's prior to a workout anyway, so it's good to see it's not a complete waste of time. Also interesting, the studies about the pre-workout meals/insulin which also reminded me of something else I read a while back, which was regarding rates of digestion (which I presume could differ greatly from person to person) so also taking that into account too, it also raises a couple of other questions around the efficacy of peri-workout nutrition.

Question for @Titus

Injury permitting, if you could, would you jack in the powerlifting and box again?
Powerlifting *and* boxing would be a great sport. Beat each other senseless and then the first one to get to the squat rack and post a PR wins.

Only about half way through at the moment, but a very interesting read. I'm sure alot of supplement companies wouldn't entirely approve. :lol:

A couple of observations so far. The stuff regarding glycogen is good. Which I'm going to look into further because it could be really beneficial to my cycling. I take BCAA's prior to a workout anyway, so it's good to see it's not a complete waste of time. Also interesting, the studies about the pre-workout meals/insulin which also reminded me of something else I read a while back, which was regarding rates of digestion (which I presume could differ greatly from person to person) so also taking that into account too, it also raises a couple of other questions around the efficacy of peri-workout nutrition.

Powerlifting *and* boxing would be a great sport. Beat each other senseless and then the first one to get to the squat rack and post a PR wins.
Instead of taking a breather between rounds you need to deadlift your bodyweight AMRAP.

Brutal.

Edit: For every time a judge calls you on form, your opponent gets a free shot...

Last edited:
Question for @Titus

Injury permitting, if you could, would you jack in the powerlifting and box again?

The reason I had to stop boxing was that getting to scheduled sessions was impossible on some days. Although boxing is my first sport, I probably wouldn't go back because I think I have a good chance of being a reasonably high level powerlifter. Plus I would need to lose a good amount of weight

The reason I had to stop boxing was that getting to scheduled sessions was impossible on some days. Although boxing is my first sport, I probably wouldn't go back because I think I have a good chance of being a reasonably high level powerlifter. Plus I would need to lose a good amount of weight

I thought it was due to injuring one of your fists for some reason.

What weight did you fight at?

Score - our lass has acquired a fully functional bread maker for a tenner. Now I can manufacture protein bread!

Very nice!

In a similar success, my girlfriend has just bought a blender so I can just blend my veg in with shakes

Update with this. I've persisted with the 'peri-workout' for a few days longer out of due-dilligence. I've been limited to doing interval training, as I'm time pushed as fuck. At my last weight in, I'd lost one pound and a kilo of bodyfat (weigh in was the morning after a cheat-day) since the previous weigh-in six days before, incidentally when I started the intervals. Whether that is actually down to eating before-during-after workouts, or it is just down to effective intervals I have no idea. I suppose in the name of 'science', I'll just to have continue this until the end of the week, get weighed in, and then do the same for the two weeks after but sans peri-workout and compare results.

Not very often I say this, but enjoying this diet. Been hitting PBs in one way or another each session. Today was easy(ish) 185kg x 2 beltless paused squats after heavy deficit deadlifts (also beltless).

How well do theoretical 1rm, based on weight lifted and for how many repetitions, carry over into reality, usually?

Obviously I'm not thinking about trying any maxes for the forseeable future (entering week 8 since restarting 5 x 5) but just having a sneaky peak at whereabouts I am.

Apparently I'm approaching my best ever deadlift, could theoretically beat my squat pr (although I'm now repping weights I'd never repped before so every time I train I achieve something great) and am getting close to my best ever bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back