Penshaw pieces of 8 trail run......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Going to need to buy some proper trail running shoes for this like. Don't think my normal trainers will cope with 10k here then 15k at Derwentwater the week after!

Going to need to buy some proper trail running shoes for this like. Don't think my normal trainers will cope with 10k here then 15k at Derwentwater the week after!
I wear the new balance leadvilles. I love them, done hundreds of miles in them. Check out Dalton park

I wear the new balance leadvilles. I love them, done hundreds of miles in them. Check out Dalton park

Cheers. Need to sort something out and try and do some miles in them before Sunday. Left it far too late!

Recced both courses last night and road shoes will be fine guys....Its as dry as sticks barring two little patches. :)

Still time to enter btw, 108 in so far and taking online entries till Saturday then taking entries on the day too although they will incur a £5 surcharge....Entries placed now will get t-shirts, medals and wristbands but the t-shirts and medals will be delivered in around 2 weeks as there will be a 2nd 0rder placed with the suppliers.....Cracking weather forecast too, should be a great mornings racing :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Recced both courses last night and road shoes will be fine guys....Its as dry as sticks barring two little patches. :)

Still time to enter btw, 108 in so far and taking online entries till Saturday then taking entries on the day too although they will incur a £5 surcharge....Entries placed now will get t-shirts, medals and wristbands but the t-shirts and medals will be delivered in around 2 weeks as there will be a 2nd 0rder placed with the suppliers.....Cracking weather forecast too, should be a great mornings racing :)

Excellent, looking forward to it and seeing it as a cracking warm up to running round the mountains of Keswick next weekend.

They're really comfy like, pretty close to a running shoe

Got some New Balance ones today for £49. Had a run out in them for 7k this afternoon and really happy with them. Only problem is that with the grips being so new they seem to catch on pavements so definitely better for off-road!

Excellent, looking forward to it and seeing it as a cracking warm up to running round the mountains of Keswick next weekend.

Got some New Balance ones today for £49. Had a run out in them for 7k this afternoon and really happy with them. Only problem is that with the grips being so new they seem to catch on pavements so definitely better for off-road!
Are they the leadvilles?

Finished the 10k or 6.6mile in 1h7m25s. cracking course and very well organised. Appreciated the race breifing before as well. The steps up from the river to Offerton we're a killer mind as was that run up the field that was getting ploughed! Decent goody bag too. Looking forward to seeing the official race results to see where I came. Hopefully this will become an annual thing!

Got round the half-marathon but slightly disappointed with time: 2h05min - was looking for 1h50min but both distance & especially hills very hard.
Finished in 33rd place (out of around 100) so in top 1/3rd. Last mile back up Penshaw hill was a killer - legs still like jelly :cry:
That said, really enjoyed it - really well organised & Phill & Tim obviously had a good laugh about the route (stairway to heaven or road to hell :p ), then the killer hills up to Offerton & up to Penshaw.
Roll on next year (more training required)
:)

Edit:
should day, the reason I thought I'd manage 1:50 is I used to run GNR in 1:40's, but that was 8 years & 2 stone lighter ago... so think I overestimated my current fitness / pace, & underestimated the hills with the distance included

Last edited:
Got round the half-marathon but slightly disappointed with time: 2h05min - was looking for 1h50min but both distance & especially hills very hard.
Finished in 33rd place (out of around 100) so in top 1/3rd. Last mile back up Penshaw hill was a killer - legs still like jelly :cry:
That said, really enjoyed it - really well organised & Phill & Tim obviously had a good laugh about the route (stairway to heaven or road to hell :p ), then the killer hills up to Offerton & up to Penshaw.
Roll on next year (more training required)
:)

Edit:
should day, the reason I thought I'd manage 1:50 is I used to run GNR in 1:40's, but that was 8 years & 2 stone lighter ago... so think I overestimated my current fitness / pace, & underestimated the hills with the distance included

Well done mate. I've concentrated on 10k this year apart from the Sunderland Half. Been doing them in 52 to 55 minutes with PBs and that this month! Lost 14 minutes on this run due to the climbs :lol: You've lost that over a HM so well done!

Finished the 10k or 6.6mile in 1h7m25s. cracking course and very well organised. Appreciated the race breifing before as well. The steps up from the river to Offerton we're a killer mind as was that run up the field that was getting ploughed! Decent goody bag too. Looking forward to seeing the official race results to see where I came. Hopefully this will become an annual thing!
Well done mate, steps are hideous and should be banned from races imho :)

Did 2.02.47, first ever trail race, was knackered.

Didn't have trail shoes but glad I had long compression socks for the brambles and shit.

Great event.

Did 2.02.47, first ever trail race, was knackered.

Didn't have trail shoes but glad I had long compression socks for the brambles and shit.

Great event.
Did you have a blue t-shirt on?

Or maybe a grey top?

I was following a lad in a grey top & a lass in a red & white hooped top for most of the way... lost both at about 10 miles

Also, 2 lads in blue tops overtook me in last 3 miles (when I was blowing out of my arse)

Last edited:
Did you have a blue t-shirt on?

Or maybe a grey top?

I was following a lad in a grey top & a lass in a red & white hooped top for most of the way... lost both at about 10 miles

Also, 2 lads in blue tops overtook me in last 3 miles (when I was blowing out of my arse)

I had a light blue vest on, two blokes with Sunderland Strollers vests on were together and behind me (I passed them around 7 miles). After the steps from hell I passed a few walking up that killer incline (around 11 miles) and that feeding station was a godsend.

That lass in the red and white hooped top finished ahead of me.

I had a light blue vest on, two blokes with Sunderland Strollers vests on were together and behind me (I passed them around 7 miles). After the steps from hell I passed a few walking up that killer incline (around 11 miles) and that feeding station was a godsend.

That lass in the red and white hooped top finished ahead of me.
I had a grey top on with yellow shoulders... think you passed me on the incline or just after going through Offerton ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back