Penshaw pieces of 8 trail run......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Only 15 at the moment... need to get more SMBers signed up & I need to do some training
Aye me too on the training side of stuff like! Its my first trail run! :0

Yeah defo need more people to sign up tho........ if they dont get least 100 i reckon they could possibly pull plug!

Looks good, I run most of that at various parts during my normal runs, it's lovely along the river through the trees but there are some hills!!

... as you'd imagine going from Penshaw Monument at the top to the river at the bottom !

Up to 17...... really slow filling this one up mind! :0 Hopfully itll still go ahead!
I feel conned - had a few drinks when I signed-up & assumed it was 8 miles - "Pieces of 8" ?? - now realised it's 'over half a marathon' i.e +13 miles
I'm reasonably fit but not done any long runs yet - gonna have to up my milage pretty quickly

Why exactly is it called "Pieces of 8" ???

Reactions: D.A
I feel conned - had a few drinks when I signed-up & assumed it was 8 miles - "Pieces of 8" ?? - now realised it's 'over half a marathon' i.e +13 miles
I'm reasonably fit but not done any long runs yet - gonna have to up my milage pretty quickly

Why exactly is it called "Pieces of 8" ???
Think its cos your calf muscles will feel like theyve been split into 8 pieces by time your finished :) hahaha

They should have done an OCR race rather than a trailrace as there are loads of OCR races down south but will only be 5 in the north east and these seem to be really well attended and would probably have more people signed up (guranteed, as I would have signed up if it was an OCR race)

Hi folks, nice to see our race has made the famous SMB:cool:

Will make sure I post regularly on here to keep you upto date with any race information and answer any questions as they come up (knowing the SMB I am soooo gonna regret that)

Firstly fear not about the race having to be pulled. Trail Outlaws are in this for the long term and if in the unlikely event that we did not sell out or even hit our break even point at Penshaw we would not pull the race. As avid runners ourselves we know how much training goes into events and would not allow an event to be pulled barring utter disasters. As it happens the race was only released a week ago, with just the one initial facebook push going out and we have already sold around 10% with lots of others runners saying they are going to race but are waiting for pay day etc....With 7 weeks to race day then there is little pressure at this time for people to sign up straight away, particularly as SI entries allows you to monitor the number of people who are entered and how many places are left. That said of course the more early entries we get the easier things are from a logistical point of view.

As two Sunderland based runners our objective is to simply bring the best trail running racing we can to the North East. A quick look at SI entries national map of races will show you there is an absolute dearth of trail races in the North East and yet when you race in Yorkshire/Lancs/The Lakes/Scotland it is full of Mackems and them up the road.

We are due to open entries for our first Ultra Marathon in the next few days which is a cracking 100km trail along the Northumberland/Scotland borders. We are also well into negotiations with all parties at Kielder to put on a nightime Marathon, hopefully in March along the Lakeside Way path round Kielder (this is the same route as Crams race only in the dark) Massive lads fan!!!! ....I have run this route several times in the dark during winter and it is the most incredible running experience so we are desperate to get that one on for you. We also have several other trail races across varying distances in the pipeline and are over time are looking to make the Penshaw 13.1 part of an urban trail running league across the region.

The pieces of 8 thing was due to the fact that the course is made up of lots of parts of different figure of 8 routes we train on round Penshaw. It also represents the 8 pieces of my ankle that were left on the trail after I broke it running on the trail at the bottom of the Golf Course on the South Bank of the river section to Offerton. Apologies if it was misleading, it wasnt meant to be......On the flip side of that being pissed is a great way to enter a race and push your boundries.....I did just that thing the other week and am running the 140 mile C2C ultra on August 2nd:lol:

As well as racing we have also started the Trail Outlaws Podcast which is free to download on itunes....It tells you a bit about us and what we are all about but also just rambles about all things trail running and generally has some pretty interesting interviews and article from people in the trail running world etc. One of our first is with the girlfriend of the late Caballo Blanco of "Born to Run" fame about the film project of his life that is being worked upon so well worth a listen.

And obviously if you have any questions either PM me on here or mail me via the website (wont let me put a link on here as a new member and cant post links lol)

Not gonna lie to you, in time we hope that Trail Outlaws will allow us to make a living doing what we love ie trail racing. But this will never be a get rich quick scheme, its about putting on cracking races, at affordable, value for money prices, in an area of the world that we live, train and love running in and that we want to share with like minded North East runners. Your support of this event will of course be massively appreciated.

Similarly if you are injured/unfit and fancy volunteering to marshal then please drop me a PM. We work on a very similar system to the Hardmoors races ie as a thankyou for marshalling one race we give you free entry for another of your choice which could obviously mean saving £50 if that race was an Ultra etc.

Hope to see you on race day

Regards

Phill :)

New runner, so I'm not going I'm for trail running just yet. It's on my list for next year, tho. My targets next year are to do my first 1/2 marathon and (now) a trail run or two...this sounds top class.

Love running to podcasts too, so the Trail Outlaws have a subscriber here.

Good luck to anyone going for it...

I'm going to sign up for the 10k. I planned to do the 10mile tyndedale run, but I'm going to do this instead.

Hope it goes well mate, respect to yous for trying to get something new off the ground. I would have fancied the HM but away then. Good luck, sure some of the strollers n harriers would fancy it

I'm going to sign up for the 10k. I planned to do the 10mile tyndedale run, but I'm going to do this instead.

Bugger! Just found out I'm out on the night. Anyway, good luck to those that are running!

you need to get the marshals to chuck coloured powder at the runners like a proper race Phil !! :) Nearly 6000 people paid 25 quid each to run around the stadium of light and a poxy industrial estate....... un-f***ing-believable !!

Im sure the new project will do well mate - once i get fit im planning on giving a few a try.... st Cuthberts...... maybe :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back