PDC / Di Fanti's signings

Status
Not open for further replies.
We deserve to go down. Deserve to be punished for the self harm inflicted on us by the decision to recruit DiCanio and a football agent as DoF. Hopefully Mavrias and Ba will prove the exception and give us something back next year I expect the others to go in the summer.

I think they'll be decent players for us next year, from the little I've seen of them

do you really think any bans or fines are going to be handed out? i doubt it.
Probably not and the bigger the club the less likely they'll come down heavily, and @riffraff is right Ellis has been high profile in his backing of a level playing field :)) I know!) but he can hardly backtrack when it suits, unlike Platini who's gone strangely quiet on the matter since PSG found someone with billions and ready to spend it.

Why is it that people criticise the decision to "bring a football agent in as director of football", yet when Quinn brought Walton in because he knew some people at Barclays or something and Milliband came because he might meet some people or something, it was fine?

You need to have someone at the club who is well connected to and can speak with agents, they are what moves/ controls football these days. To pretend that isn't the case and bury one's head in the sand is pointless.

Walton dealt with finances and Miliband was bought in for his contacts from his time as Foreign Secretary. Neither will have had anything to do with the sourcing of players. Agents are self-serving leaches so why would Di Fanti be any different?

it has everything to do with it, you know, money in, money out, add it all up= profit or loss. its not f***ing hard like
Must be fairly hard as you clearly don't understand it. Net spend is the press' best guess at what the transfer fee is. Its totally f***ing meaningless. It doesn't take into account any other transfer costs and might be completely wrong anyway (remember when the press told us that Michael Turner cost £12m?). The best way of understanding our financial picture is by looking at the accounts. And they tell us that our Premier League adventure has been one big waste of money.

Why is it that people criticise the decision to "bring a football agent in as director of football", yet when Quinn brought Walton in because he knew some people at Barclays or something and Milliband came because he might meet some people or something, it was fine?

You need to have someone at the club who is well connected to and can speak with agents, they are what moves/ controls football these days. To pretend that isn't the case and bury one's head in the sand is pointless.
You might want to read up on Walton a tad.

And the Poyet did the impossible and made it even worse

The players had a fair share in that mind you. Motivated by the thought of a cup final place, then feet up and 'we got rid of one manager so fuck you I'll do what I like' to Poyet.

As far as transfers go, there's still half a squad there we've barely had a look at. The Championship might be fast and furious, but the lack of quality down there has allowed players who look like clowns initially to find their feet and then go back to the PL to perform far more convincingly. Ba, Mavrias, Diakite, Roberge, Karlsson, Watmore, all should be considered should they stay.

Agree with that, mind. My suspicion is that Poyet put every single signing who didn't have previous prem experience on the outer - believing that he didn't have the time to integrate them. Even with some of the ones who remained (mainly thinking of Altidore) I think it was clear that they were not first choice - something that undoubtedly contributed to the fracturing of an already fragile ego.

Take Cabral as another example. His ratio of one good game and one bad game is hardly worse that we've seen from Colback, Larsson or even Catts over the years. And Diakite and Roberge have hardly produced a proportionally greater amount of howlers this season than John O'Shea. Even now we are seeing what happens with perseverence as Scocco and Vergini begin to show glimpses of what they are capable of. I can see why Poyet chose to do what he did. At the end of the day he needed a short cut to get us going and Prem experience was always going to be the way to go to achieve that. However I think that leaves us in a position where it is difficult to make a true value judgement of the quality (or lack of) of the the players brought in last summer.
Rarely do I read anything on here that analyses a situation as well as Cabbage has here. Good stuff mate. Its not that I agree or disagree with you. I think that would be too one dimensional, its just that reading your comment felt as though my understanding and perspective had grown.

Absolutely. Bruce's summer signings. Astonishingly bad and leaving us with a squad lacking any pace whatsoever but that's OK MOM will sort that out by buying Cuellar, Fletcher and Graham :neutral:. However that's OK we will get the next managerial decision right and do so by bringing in PDC and a DoF model that brings in 14 substandard players on top of a squad of substandard players and people on here are defending the decision. You couldn't make it up. You are right though it has been a slow process to the inevitable.

I wish people wouldn't just lie about things.

His business in January was very poor.

To be fair to him he's probably under exactly the same constraints as Di Fanti was close season, right up against the buffers wages wise, which is why I was very surprised we kept any of the half dozen players we supposedly received bids for (we know about Catts, the rest I'm taking on good faith from the PFs very own Joffrey, Johnson).

To be fair to him he's probably under exactly the same constraints as Di Fanti was close season, right up against the buffers wages wise, which is why I was very surprised we kept any of the half dozen players we supposedly received bids for (we know about Catts, the rest I'm taking on good faith from the PFs very own Joffrey, Johnson).

I'm in the minority of one who loved Joffrey. Such a little twat but portrayed brilliantly.

We deserve to go down. Deserve to be punished for the self harm inflicted on us by the decision to recruit DiCanio and a football agent as DoF. Hopefully Mavrias and Ba will prove the exception and give us something back next year I expect the others to go in the summer.
didnt do nearly as much damage as Bruce 2k11 did.

Walton dealt with finances and Miliband was bought in for his contacts from his time as Foreign Secretary. Neither will have had anything to do with the sourcing of players. Agents are self-serving leaches so why would Di Fanti be any different?
De Fanti was brought in for his contacts, I already said this. You just proved my point.

:lol:

fuck me, some players really do get better when they are not playing

all bar one, have been absolute disasters, and I'd hazard a guess that they pretty much all won't be here if we can get money for them

I think they'll be decent players for us next year, from the little I've seen of them

been shocking for the reserves when I have seen them

I tell you why its bad, because he only wants to sign players either that he knows, or from his mate agents

It is the worst thing you can possibly do, the pool of players become's less and less limited. You end up signing players not because they are good or because you even want them, but because your mate can get them on the cheap

Do you think we had scouted Roberge for months and months? I bet none of our scouts had even seen him play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back