-***- Official Haway the England lasses thread -***-

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The secondary market for tickets wad below 100 before the USA gor through. Now with it being so close to the border they've jumped back up. Come on the lasses. I want to get pissed in my england flag and make a tit of myself.

I haven't read all 59 pages here, so apologies if SEB.

The women's game became very popular during WW1 as they filled the sporting void with most of the men away at war, and continued after until 1922 when the FA outlawed it.

Dick, Kerr’s Ladies having a particularly high profile and earning a lot of money for charity. Their match with St Helen’s Ladies on Boxing Day 1920 had 53,000 inside Everton’s Goodison Park ground with thousands locked outside.

Who knows - we might have been world champions many times by now... :neutral:

http://www.thefa.com/womens-girls-football/history
The FA was so concerned about the growth of women's football in the twenties that the FA had a vote in 1921 on whether to allow women's teams to use FA member grounds. The vote was passed to ban women playing which effectively killed the women's game. Newcastle voted to ban women playing whilst Sunderland voted to allow them to continue to use Football league grounds

The FA was so concerned about the growth of women's football in the twenties that the FA had a vote in 1921 on whether to allow women's teams to use FA member grounds. The vote was passed to ban women playing which effectively killed the women's game. Newcastle voted to ban women playing whilst Sunderland voted to allow them to continue to use Football league grounds

Easy to criticise now but to be fair back then it would be a lot harder to maintain playing surfaces, they probably just felt that the extra games would adversely affect the pitches just to appease what I expect was still very much a minority sport

Typical. Is there no end to their utter hideousness?

Yes, yes, yes, a million times yes. Even if England crash out tonight, Sunderland can claim a lot of credit for the achievements of this team.
Yes, but we don't want any talk like that thanks.

Sainsburys should have held onto some of those England flags they were selling off for 5p this time last year. They might have caught on.

Really looking forward to this one. Just hope they believe in themselves.

Last edited:
One attendance proves nowt. What were the overall attendances like (genuine question, i have no idea)?

Wiki says: Despite being more popular than some men's football events (one match saw a 53,000 strong crowd),[13] women's football in England suffered a blow in 1921 when The Football Association outlawed the playing of the game on Association members' pitches, on the grounds that the game (as played by women) was distasteful.[14] Some speculated that this may have also been to envy of the large crowds that women's matches attracted.[15]i

One attendance proves nowt. What were the overall attendances like (genuine question, i have no idea)?
Cannot find info on average attendances but in this long, long article on the history of women's football it mentions several games where the attendance were over 15,000 and a couple at Old trafford and Newcastle where the attendance was over 30,000. I know they played at sunderland as well but cannot find any information about the game.

http://spartacus-educational.com/Fwomen.htm

There are several books on Womens football in the twenties , "Girl with Balls, The secret History of Womens football", "In a League of there Own" and "Dick, Kerr Girls". If you are interested also look up Lilly Parr the Pele of womens football at that time.

Wiki says: Despite being more popular than some men's football events (one match saw a 53,000 strong crowd),[13] women's football in England suffered a blow in 1921 when The Football Association outlawed the playing of the game on Association members' pitches, on the grounds that the game (as played by women) was distasteful.[14] Some speculated that this may have also been to envy of the large crowds that women's matches attracted.[15]i

Fair enough mate, I stand corrected. In that case it was a ridiculous decision.

Crowds were pretty high, on the back of there being no men's football during the war, but IIRC they stayed high after the war (might be wrong)
Reminds me of that Madonna film - A League of Their Own when the gadgee baseball ears were at war so the wimmins game became popular.

I've not watched a ball kicked in this tournament so far, should I watch tonight, or maybe I'd be a Jonah so I'd best not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back