-***- Official Haway the England lasses thread -***-

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
still enjoying the whole contest.
seen some 'real' tackles going in and the lasses get up and get on with it, unless genuinely hurt of course, there is actually (shock horror for the haters) some decent football at times.
the decision to show the games and give it more publicity could well be down to encouraging more lasses to get into it and i dont see that as a bad thing, after all, they are hardly removing the soaps to allow the games to be seen, are they?
Don't know if they aired this stat on the Beeb, but here in the States, they pointed out the last time Canada played England in the WWC, it was 10 years ago, in front of 600 some people. The 54K+ over the weekend was quite a testament to the growth in the sport. But, even better has been the incredible intensity of matches like England-Canada and Germany-France. The crowd were 100% into it, not a whiff of the old "novelty act" feeling. Just pure intensity and drama.

Another thing I've noticed. We've had girls playing football here for decades, even at a high level, but you didn't see them watching football much. I think watching the WWC draws them in to be spectators for the sport in general, for example, following the PL like my daughters and her friends. Here in St. Louis, where we have a rich, rich playing tradition, we only get exhibition matches to watch live. But every one of those we've had (in the baseball stadium usually) draws 40,000+ fans. When you look who's come, it's droves of girls as well as boys, in their team gear, dragging their parents along.

I was ower in Germany when the last WC was on marra and youll nivver be reeter if you live to be a thousand. The whole things a lot more pleasant than the all round nastiness and horriblemess of the mens game. From the pundits through the managers/coaches and refs and players the mens game stinks. Lets be honest the England men players are 90% arseholes who are more interested in their bank accounts than the game itself.
The girls game may one day go that way anarl. after all it didnt take rugby long to get from amateurs playing for their countries then drinking with the opposition an hour later to "bloodgate" when it went pro.

England lashed the eventual winners Japan in the group stage last WC. Jill Scott was ower big for them and iirc she got a WOTM and mebbes a performance of the tournament award for it. Japan are tailor made for England. Ill be having my first ever punt on a wimmens game;)

Why, I'm always right, man... :)

Let's enjoy this moment. Perhaps, like the gorgeous sunset tonight, it's soon to be gone. That doesn't take away from it being good. Enjoy - and I hope you're right about us vs. Japan!

Don't know if they aired this stat on the Beeb, but here in the States, they pointed out the last time Canada played England in the WWC, it was 10 years ago, in front of 600 some people. The 54K+ over the weekend was quite a testament to the growth in the sport. But, even better has been the incredible intensity of matches like England-Canada and Germany-France. The crowd were 100% into it, not a whiff of the old "novelty act" feeling. Just pure intensity and drama.

Another thing I've noticed. We've had girls playing football here for decades, even at a high level, but you didn't see them watching football much. I think watching the WWC draws them in to be spectators for the sport in general, for example, following the PL like my daughters and her friends. Here in St. Louis, where we have a rich, rich playing tradition, we only get exhibition matches to watch live. But every one of those we've had (in the baseball stadium usually) draws 40,000+ fans. When you look who's come, it's droves of girls as well as boys, in their team gear, dragging their parents along.
It doesn't have the cultural baggage in N America that it has here; I suspect if a knuckle dragger said to a Yank that it's a man's game, it's monkey tennis and all that rubbish the Yank would be very puzzled.

It doesn't have the cultural baggage in N America that it has here; I suspect if a knuckle dragger said to a Yank that it's a man's game, it's monkey tennis and all that rubbish the Yank would be very puzzled.
Yeah, you're right for sure. It is funny seeing some of the knuckle-dragger posts on the SMB, which you mostly wouldn't get over here. Not that we Yanks are particularly enlightened, just that "soccer" has evolved as a sport that both girls and boys play, and it was the number one girls' sport for about 5-10 years before it became the number one boys' sport, so there isn't much sense that it's one sex's more than the other's. The big divide is between playing and watching, which breaks down between younger and older generations. "Soccer Moms (and Dads)" didn't know much about the game, just liked watching their boys and girls play it. It's the generation of kids of those Soccer Moms who now watch football more than American football or any other sport, and among those watchers are lots of women who played when they are kids.

I can say from experience, also, that there are a hell of a lot of dads who take their daughter's football matches and training and tournaments incredibly seriously, as the girls to themselves. In fact, all the dads I've known from all my daughter's teams have been very engaged. Consider that nationwide, and you have a whole of men who are used to watching girls/women play football and so can watch the WWC matches for what they are (sometimes engaging and intense, sometimes boring and disjointed, sometimes flowing and beautiful) without any big need to compare them (favorably or unfavorably) with the mens' game.

St Louis was THE place in the US for football/soccer back in the day iirc.

Just realised I made a scheduling error. Thought the game was Thursday night....just realised its Thursday morning, ie tonight.

Hastily rearranging Thursday morning meetings now! Bugger.

Just high time we had an English anthem anyway, rather than having to use the British one.

I'm more puzzled by the number of blokes who seem to feel almost threatened by the fact that women's football has really taken off in the last few years. A lot of fingers-in-ears type "stop telling us it's a big deal, it's not!" comments.

I'm more puzzled by the number of blokes who seem to feel almost threatened by the fact that women's football has really taken off in the last few years. A lot of fingers-in-ears type "stop telling us it's a big deal, it's not!" comments.
Hah! We Yanks used to hear that about the men's game for decades. I think most of the ear-finger-stickers finally gave up somewhere around the time of the vuvuzela WC. Every bar now has football on along with baseball, hockey, etc. Speaking of football, I hear more and more folk over here, especially the under 30 set, calling it 'football' rather than 'soccer', at least when the context is clear.

Looking forward to the match tonight and the final. Last night's was brilliant! Not sure why the Germans stayed locked in with knackered players in a system that wasn't working without subbing or changing anything up, but that's between them and their gaffer! Ha'way, England! Ha'way, USA!

I haven't read all 59 pages here, so apologies if SEB.

The women's game became very popular during WW1 as they filled the sporting void with most of the men away at war, and continued after until 1922 when the FA outlawed it.

Dick, Kerr’s Ladies having a particularly high profile and earning a lot of money for charity. Their match with St Helen’s Ladies on Boxing Day 1920 had 53,000 inside Everton’s Goodison Park ground with thousands locked outside.

Who knows - we might have been world champions many times by now... :neutral:

http://www.thefa.com/womens-girls-football/history

If England win the world cup can SAFC claim to have won it like West Ham did for 1966?
Yes, yes, yes, a million times yes. Even if England crash out tonight, Sunderland can claim a lot of credit for the achievements of this team.

I haven't read all 59 pages here, so apologies if SEB.

The women's game became very popular during WW1 as they filled the sporting void with most of the men away at war, and continued after until 1922 when the FA outlawed it.

Dick, Kerr’s Ladies having a particularly high profile and earning a lot of money for charity. Their match with St Helen’s Ladies on Boxing Day 1920 had 53,000 inside Everton’s Goodison Park ground with thousands locked outside.

Who knows - we might have been world champions many times by now... :neutral:

http://www.thefa.com/womens-girls-football/history
48 years of hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back