Nadia Rose
Rag'n'Bone Man
Ray BLK
RAYE
Stefflon Don
The Amazons
The Japanese House
Tom Grennan

Only heard of five, Anderson .Paak has been around for a few years though so not sure why he's on there. One of his albums this year would be in my top ten and the other would be in top twenty.

I think I've only heard of three (Anderson .Paak, Cabbage and Jorja Smith). A combo of me getting old and the list being dominated by r'n'b, hip hop and grime.

Since there don't seem to be many new releases of note for the rest of the year (apart from John Legend and Pete Doherty this week and Neil Young next) I'm going to have a bit of a mop up of what I might have missed through the year- I only have Drive By Truckers and Empire of the Sun on my list at the moment if anyone can suggest something.

Unfortunately this is probably going to result in 100 suggestions of things I've already listened to, so please try and keep it to lesser known stuff. My taste is pretty varied, but I prefer indie, rock, (mainly American) punk and (mainly old school style) hip hop and my top 3 albums of the year so far are Descendents, AJJ and The Dean Ween Group.

Since there don't seem to be many new releases of note for the rest of the year (apart from John Legend and Pete Doherty this week and Neil Young next) I'm going to have a bit of a mop up of what I might have missed through the year- I only have Drive By Truckers and Empire of the Sun on my list at the moment if anyone can suggest something.

Unfortunately this is probably going to result in 100 suggestions of things I've already listened to, so please try and keep it to lesser known stuff. My taste is pretty varied, but I prefer indie, rock, (mainly American) punk and (mainly old school style) hip hop and my top 3 albums of the year so far are Descendents, AJJ and The Dean Ween Group.
Hmmm ok

Angel Olsen
Julia Jacklin
Negative Scanner
Lemon Twigs
Feels
Sneaks
Parquet Courts
Fat White Family
Frankie Cosmos
FEWS
WALL
Preoccupations

Hmmm ok

Angel Olsen
Julia Jacklin
Negative Scanner
Lemon Twigs
Feels
Sneaks
Parquet Courts
Fat White Family
Frankie Cosmos
FEWS
WALL
Preoccupations
Fab - Preoccupations is the only album out of that list I've listened to so that's probably me now sorted!

I've just discovered that Michael Franti & Spearhead released a new album this year. He used to be a big big favourite of mine but his last 2 albums (the last one especially) have been a bit polished and lacking the political angle that his other stuff focuses on. Hoping this one is a return to form!

Tracks called "We are all Earthlings" and "Still Standing" suggest they might be political!

Last edited:
I've just discovered that Michael Franti & Spearhead released a new album this year. He used to be a big big favourite of mine but his last 2 albums (the last one especially) have been a bit polished and lacking the political angle that his other stuff focuses on. Hoping this one is a return to form!

Tracks called "We are all Earthlings" and "Still Standing" suggest they might be political!

It's horrendous over polished dance pop like the last record. Gutted!

enjoying the new Toy album mate. still motorik, if you get me drift there but also exploring mid 80s indie songcraft. lawrence should be flattered imo. after last year's sexwitch experimentation they're maturing into a very capable band. gonna see em soon

My favourite 2 albums this year have been car seat headrest and wild beasts.

New childish gambino album dropping this week

Guessing it'll be nowt like his other stuff based on the one song I've heard from the album, bet he just sings his way through it all with autotune turned up all the way for most of it. He's such a f***ing weird guy.

Saw him in Manchester in early 2014, was surprisingly really good. When he dropped into his verse on Unnecessary :cool: Royalty is still a great mixtape.

Guessing it'll be nowt like his other stuff based on the one song I've heard from the album, bet he just sings his way through it all with autotune turned up all the way for most of it. He's such a f***ing weird guy.

Saw him in Manchester in early 2014, was surprisingly really good. When he dropped into his verse on Unnecessary :cool: Royalty is still a great mixtape.
Because of the internet is one of my most listened to albums of the last 3 years. I've heard there's next to no rapping on the new album like but I like what I've heard so far

Back