New Music Releases Thread

These lists are a bit strange. Earlier in the year the album by Laura Gibson was getting really great reviews - I got it and think it is the best album of the year and yet it features on no lists. This has been, in my view, a great year for albums but not really the ones on the lists.
Good album that, must give it another listen

Currently listening to Glenn Branca

Does in a few I have seen

Not that good either which would explain it. It's not as good as their debut (imo).

If everyone wants to post their albums of the year I'll make a Spotify playlist with a track from each album. Could be a nice way to cap the thread this year since there's virtually nothing coming out before New Years now.

Missed loads of things earlier. Really liking A Tribe Called Quest's new album after two listens.
New albums by Tanya Tagaq and Kaia Kater both good - sought out as a result of cracking reviews in Uncut. The former is an Inuit singer (does some throat singing and some normal), a bit artsy but good. The latter is one of the new up and comers of Americana.

Not that good either which would explain it. It's not as good as their debut (imo).

If everyone wants to post their albums of the year I'll make a Spotify playlist with a track from each album. Could be a nice way to cap the thread this year since there's virtually nothing coming out before New Years now.
Mine has been switching between AJJ's The Bible 2 and Descendents' Hypercaffium Spazzinate for ages now. AJJ is probably more in line with the average SMBer's music taste so I'll go with that.

As above Laura Gibson - Empire Builder

Cracking idea that fella. I'll throw 'Glass Animals - How to be a Human Being' into the mix.

Will keep an eye out on here for when you've made the playlist to follow it

Feel like I've missed loads of music this year so looking forward to the end of year lists to find some new stuff. Think I'm torn between anohni or minor victories for the album I've enjoyed most like.

Favourite of the year... difficult, could be any of about 10 to 12 albums. I'll say "War Stories" by Harp and a Monkey because a) someone on here may listen and like b) they are/were a completely new band to me and I've gone back and devoured the back catalogue (only two albums) c) they're educational (as far as WWI history is concerned).

Honourable mentions to Nick Cave, Drive By Truckers, Caverns of Antimatter, Angel Olsen, Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam, Jesu & Sun Kil Moon, Astronautalis, Margo Price and a whole host of others...

Agree RE Teleman. Loved the first but underwhelmed by second.
Even live, saw them at 6 music fest at sage and loved them but thought second time at think tank touring Brilliant Sanity was a bit shit.

Back