Minimum Unit Pricing for Alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure you've made some really subtle, intelligent point that everyone else on the board has understood and had a hearty chuckle at, but I'm blissfully unaware of what it is you're trying to say, so you can post a hundred laughing smilies mate.
If only

What part of that post cracks you up there GM?

At 4% it is 1.8 units and would increase from £2.15 to £3.60 for 4 cans.

I don't think that's a massive increase in price, but someone on a different income might.

Exactly and why am I paying an extra £1.45 for? It's not a huge amount of money but as a percentage increase that is huge.

I find it genuinely disconcerting that people are accepting that paying more tax to the government on bottles of cheap alcohol will reduce alcoholism. There will no doubt be people on here who have had addictions and know that a couple of extra quid on a bottle of frosty jacks isn't the answer..

IF that tax were used to fund substance misuse groups, public health initiatives around alcohol etc, it would be worth it, but in reality the tax will ironically go towards funding things such as the £250,000 champagne budget for the MP http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/07/champagne-house-of-lords-reform-taxpayer

I know people take it lightly and talk about 'scratters', but alcoholism is spread across the working and middle classes not only 'lower classes' and it's ultimately the top paid that benefit from tax initiatives like this

the only people it will deter will be the likes of pensioners who have an occasional tipple. They will cut back those with a drink problem won't. The problem drinker will just cut back elsewhere to feed their habit.
Exactly, it'll force people to use cheaper alternatives, just like it did with smokers, usually meaning an unhealthier substitute, this has nothing to do with peoples health and all to do with making tax money.

I said in my opening post that it'll add on at most about £2 to a multipack of Fosters, £0.80 to a multipack of Special Brew and absolutely nothing to a bottle of Blossom Hill.

Yes, it'll increase the price of a bottle of Frosty Jacks but that's because Frosty Jacks is currently priced at about 20p per unit.
Why did you start this thread ?

Exactly and why am I paying an extra £1.45 for? It's not a huge amount of money but as a percentage increase that is huge.

The extra £1.45, or whatever the extra price is, is supposed to discourage people from drinking more. The average man shouldn't be drinking more than 12 cans of that ALDI lager, for example. That's medical advice mind, not my opinion. Like smoking, governments see irresponsible drinking as a contributing factor in a lot of social and medical problems in society.

Why did you start this thread ?

To get a cross-section of opinions from people who won't have the same opinion as me, so that I can see how other people see the issue.

I can't appreciate the issue in the same way that someone older than me might be able to, or someone who has different drinking patterns might, or someone with kids, etc.

People like @Pop and @John Steed and @Teed (as well as others) have made really good points about the impact of the increase on the individual and resentment at already being taxed on something.

The extra £1.45, or whatever the extra price is, is supposed to discourage people from drinking more. The average man shouldn't be drinking more than 12 cans of that ALDI lager, for example. That's medical advice mind, not my opinion. Like smoking, governments see irresponsible drinking as a contributing factor in a lot of social and medical problems in society.

To get a cross-section of opinions from people who won't have the same opinion as me, so that I can see how other people see the issue.

I can't appreciate the issue in the same way that someone older than me might be able to, or someone who has different drinking patterns might, or someone with kids, etc.

People like @Pop and @John Steed and @Teed (as well as others) have made really good points about the impact of the increase on the individual and resentment at already being taxed on something.
If only you put as much effort into actually doing something :lol::lol:

The regular B&M booze threads on here show loads of people on here buy cheap booze. I said it earlier in thread, the minimum unit price will not stay at 50p, it will only go one way every year.

Why would you think about wanting to please me ?

I like to keep people happy.

The regular B&M booze threads on here show loads of people on here buy cheap booze. I said it earlier in thread, the minimum unit price will not stay at 50p, it will only go one way every year.

That's an issue, yes.

I have no idea of the price of drinks in B&M but a 440ml can of Carling would have to be less than £0.90 for the price of it to increase under a MUP of £0.50.

I've not seen many multipacks of beer less than £3.60 for 4 cans. Not branded ones anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back