Minimum Unit Pricing for Alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.

He hasn't said they can't do it. He's suggesting why it might be reasonable for the government to introduce legislation to alleviate pressure on the NHS.

I think you're jumping to conclusions based on who the poster is.

I know what he is suggesting, I can read.

You're mad if you think the minimum price per unit won't get increased every year.

Its not a tax though, so the min price doesn't directly lead to tax revenues.
If they wanted to do that, then they could increase duty.

Actually, they could create a similar effect if they levelled the playing field in duty. I cannot understand why one type of alcohol is taxed differently than another. Makes no sense to me.

it wont stop alchoholism...an addiction has to be fed regardless of the cost, all it will do is mean they cant drink the cheap piss they usually do so will probably have to turn to crime to fund their addiction

plus it could lead to an increase of counterfeit shite which will really poison people...cheap grade ethanol with flavourings to mask the fact it will make you go blind

Last edited:
Agree or disagree?

50p per unit.

Wouldn't actually make drink that much more expensive, would add about £1.50 on to the price of a multipack of Fosters, about 80p on the price of a four-pack of Special Brew. A bottle of Blossom Hill is already more than 50p per unit.

However it would increase the price of Frosty Jacks from £4.50 (£3.50 on 2 for £7) to £11.25 and the price of a bottle of ASDA's own Vodka from £10.00 to about £13.00.

Students who are worried they can't afford their beer money could always consider alternatives. Apparently more men do it than women so don't be bashful about it @Frijj. :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/se...secret-industry-in-Britains-universities.html

Its not a tax though, so the min price doesn't directly lead to tax revenues.
If they wanted to do that, then they could increase duty.

Actually, they could create a similar effect if they levelled the playing field in duty. I cannot understand why one type of alcohol is taxed differently than another. Makes no sense to me.

I know it's not a tax but the government or some regulatory body will still increase the minimum price per unit every year.

First it was the tabs, now it's the booze, next it'll be junk food, what a time to be alive.

I know it's not a tax but the government or some regulatory body will still increase the minimum price per unit every year.

First it was the tabs, now it's the booze, next it'll be junk food, what a time to be alive.

Tabs, petrol, booze (duty) are all income generators though.

I'd expect the alcohol one to increase though, you're right. As long as it doesn't affect mainstream drinking, I'd have no problem with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back