Marcos Alonso

Status
Not open for further replies.

Did he even want to come back? He was playing in Europe for Fiorentina...

Not when he first returned. He was well out of the picture and wanted to come here as he was playing every week. We dithered as usual and the manager saw something in him in training. Probably the same thing Poyet saw but Congerton and co missed.

Not when he first returned. He was well out of the picture and wanted to come here as he was playing every week. We dithered as usual and the manager saw something in him in training. Probably the same thing Poyet saw but Congerton and co missed.
I seem to remember him starting for Fiorentina in pre season for them, I'd imagine he'd pick them over us.

Posters ? That doesn't account for a whole lot of our support anyway .

Fair enough.

Not disagreeing about him being worth £8m. Just think it's ridiculous how this £4m myth is being used to have a dig at the club when it's blatantly not true

Reactions: Dsb
I thought it was double that, hence why we didn't want to pay it. He wasn't that good.

Mate he was good and iirc it was around £6m. We're 3 years on and still need a left back. We should have coughed up the money. Yet another poor decision to add to the long list.

Aye, he was a young player with loads to learn but a great set of skills and a lot of potential to improve. Exactly the sort of player we should be singing and the type we never do.
That's exactly the type of player we chose for LB instead of Alonso. We took PVA instead. Unfortunately we never got up as far as his head during his medical and missed the fact that he has shit for brains

I seem to remember him starting for Fiorentina in pre season for them, I'd imagine he'd pick them over us.

We were trying to sign him when the clubs first went back, before preseason games were even started. He'd have come in a heartbeat if we'd agreed to pay up.

We need to stop giving the club excuses for terrible decisions like this one and M'Vila.

Fair enough.

Not disagreeing about him being worth £8m. Just think it's ridiculous how this £4m myth is being used to have a dig at the club when it's blatantly not true
Nah I agree mate , I think everyone is so pissed off at the moment anything they do will be criticised whether that's right or wrong I'm unsure of .

That's exactly the type of player we chose for LB instead of Alonso. We took PVA instead. Unfortunately we never got up as far as his head during his medical and missed the fact that he has shit for brains

The difference in class/potential between them has been obvious for a long time, even before either of them rocked up here. One is a kid who chelsea took a punt on early but was never anywhere near good enough for them, the other has been at smaller clubs and always played/been highly rated as a player on the rise.

We signed the one least likely to increase in value AND and less able to improve us in the short term purely to save a couple of million on the initial fee. Idiots.

Exactly.

IIRC most people seemed in agreement that he wasn't worth the fees quoted. "Too slow" I think it was.

It's amazing what needing a stick to beat the club with does to someone's opinion.
The stats at the end of that season had him top 3 in almost everything compared to other PL defenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back