Marcos Alonso

Status
Not open for further replies.

At the start of pre-season after his loan spell Fiorentina wanted a few million for him. We did our usual trick of refusing to pay up for proven quality and after a few weeks training they decided they wanted to keep him. We then spent half that amount on PVA who is a about one tenth the left back Alonso is. Realistically we should have bought both of them given Alonso can also play on the left of a back three.

Another great example of our fantastic recruitment at work. Oh, and Poyet was desperate for him to come back...but no, it's all down to the managers apparently.

Then Bain comes out with "We need to sign young players and sell them on"....well, we'd have got about 24m for this one if it hadn't been scuppered by upper management, is that the sort of thing he's suggesting?

This f***ing club. If they let the managers do their job and were willing to spend based on quality not some bizarre idea of value which is clearly broken then we might not be in this mess.

I thought it was double that, hence why we didn't want to pay it. He wasn't that good.

Exactly.

IIRC most people seemed in agreement that he wasn't worth the fees quoted. "Too slow" I think it was.

It's amazing what needing a stick to beat the club with does to someone's opinion.

He's improved since he left us mind.

He was very slow and kept getting beat by the right winger. We conceded loads of goals through crosses down his side

Well of course it seems like a bargain after Chelsea have just paid ~£20m for him :lol:
As far as your other post goes I didn't see many people saying that 8 million was to much ? At the time I thought 8 million was fair due to his age and how well he'd played for us .

That summer we spent 15m and lost 15 players. We had to buy a whole new side, we had to go for PVA who was half the price in order to fill the holes in the other positions. When the budget is what it is then these are the results you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back