Make An Indian Curry From Scratch - Al's Kitchen

Got a batch of base defrosting now as it happens, been asked to try the butter chicken next.

Obviously, if you're defrosting a batch of base sauce then you will be using Al's recipe this time.

If, though, you're a fan of Butter Chicken then I can, thoroughly, recommend the recipe below which (without doubt) is the best one I've found.

http://norecipes.com/recipe/butter-chicken-recipe

Have a look and see what you think - if you then decide to give it a go you won't regret it.

You mean proper grammar?

Thank you kind sir!

In my response I said that "They do say that ignorance is bliss", but I've never understood why anyone would be so keen to display the former, on a public forum, in an attempt to "troll/derail" a thread, in order to demonstrate that.

;)

has ahmeds in shields reopened yet?

I don't think so Clyde but there are two similar stores behind Ahmeds in Frederick Street that sell plenty of good gear. The big one on the left hand side is owned by the Ahmeds people. Then further down on the right you'll find Zam Zam which imho isn't as good.

Good man!

Mine never comes out with the red colour either. But I don't use chicken tikka (just normal chicken) and there is red dye in the chicken tikka pieces, so I presume that's where the colour comes from.

@AlsKitchen were you happy when the lads stayed up like?

Yeah of course happy they stayed up. Was depressed that Liverpool got to two finals and lost. Maybe I should be happy about reaching the finals with this unstable team.

Obviously, if you're defrosting a batch of base sauce then you will be using Al's recipe this time.

If, though, you're a fan of Butter Chicken then I can, thoroughly, recommend the recipe below which (without doubt) is the best one I've found.

http://norecipes.com/recipe/butter-chicken-recipe

Have a look and see what you think - if you then decide to give it a go you won't regret it.

Coincidentally, @Beaker we had it for dinner on Sunday, along with egg pilau (I used the recipe below, which I think is great, but think any egg pilau will work well) and I'll probably have the warmed up left overs for dinner tonight - if not, they'll still be fine on Thursday.

Enjoy!

One tip I would offer, if you decide to give the BC recipe a whirl, is to put the cardamoms & cinnamon stick in some foil and then give them a soft "bash" , with a rolling pin/meat hammer (whatever), which will split them, before adding to the cloves and then cooking them gently in the butter, before going further - the extra flavour is well worth the additional 2 or 3 minutes!

Last edited:
Been experimenting with the Madras. So far the best one was just tonight, after adding all the spices and a touch of water, chucked a bit of honey in and a couple of heaped tablespoons of Gingery/Rhubarb JAM.

Amazing!

(Usually have a Madras made with Mango when in curry houses, but didn't have any mango so experimented and it worked!!)

One tip I would offer, if you decide to give the BC recipe a whirl, is to put the cardamoms & cinnamon stick in some foil and then give them a soft "bash" , with a rolling pin/meat hammer (whatever), which will split them, before adding to the cloves and then cooking them gently in the butter, before going further - the extra flavour is well worth the additional 2 or 3 minutes!
Must admit, I cheat. I have cinnamon and cardamom powder.

I don't think so Clyde but there are two similar stores behind Ahmeds in Frederick Street that sell plenty of good gear. The big one on the left hand side is owned by the Ahmeds people. Then further down on the right you'll find Zam Zam which imho isn't as good.
cheers mate, i'll check them out next time i need supplies.

Never used Al's video recipes before but am going to give one a go over the weekend. How many potions do his curry videos make?
Almost always 2.
And doubling everything doesn't tend to double the output for some reason.

Just made the chicken methi, but not eating it till tomorrow.
Tastes lovely though.

Almost always 2.
And doubling everything doesn't tend to double the output for some reason.

Just made the chicken methi, but not eating it till tomorrow.
Tastes lovely though.

Done @AlsKitchen bombay potatoes at lunchtime, delicious they were and would highly recommend them.

Done the base sauce his way but doesn't seem to blend as easily as the recipe in the curry secret. Taste test will be this evening once i decide what curry to have

Back