LVCC - Durham v Somerset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Light meters are only used in international matches. The ECB stopped using them for county games a couple of seasons ago. The thinking behind the change was that the ECB deemed the umpires to be the best judge of "local conditions" and all calls on bad light to be solely at the umpires discretion.

Goughy had his light meter out on Sunday, so they've obviously had a rethink.

I know there was a review scheduled for sometime this year so they may have already had it. I'll ask Goughy about it this afternoon.

just drove past ground and will be very surprised if we get any play today. fog and rain around

I had a chat with Goughy re the light meter and this is what he told me.

The use of the light meters was reviewed before the start of the season and they've decided to use them again, BUT, only as a reference point AFTER the on field umpires have made the decision to come off. The umpires must make their decision on what they deem to be bad light then inform the players to leave the field and THEN take a reading. The reading can then be used later as a guide only should the umpires decide the light has improved enough for play to resume. The initial reading will be there in case either captain has any doubts about the suitability, or not, to resume play.

So basically, it's for reference only and not as a hard and fast measure.

So what's the general feeling now about the outcome of this game??

I think we'll be lucky to get a full days play in tomorrow going off the forecasts. Anyone know if we'll have more overs added to compensate today's loss?

I don't think so. Looks like another moral victory. You should get points for those.

16 Law 16 – Start of Play; Cessation
of Play
16.1 Scheduled Hours of Play
16.1.1 LV County Championship – normal timings shall be:
All days ................................................11.00am-6.00pm
(10.30am-5.30pm in matches scheduled to start
in September)
A maximum of 30 minutes of time lost from play on
Days 1,2 and 3 shall be made up on that respective
day (refer also Playing Condition 16.2.2). For the
avoidance of doubt, no time shall be carried forward
and made up on subsequent days.

There ya gan, all doubt can be avoided now. ;)

Last edited:
I heard from a member yesterday that Durham's one day game v Warwickshire is being moved to South Northumberland CC.

Thought this was far-fetched but he seemed so sure.

Anyone else heard about this (apart from this post, obviously)?

I heard from a member yesterday that Durham's one day game v Warwickshire is being moved to South Northumberland CC.

Yes up to now it's true, but there seems to be some second thoughts and things could change.

Yes up to now it's true, but there seems to be some second thoughts and things could change.

This may be why they haven't made any official announcement then. I'm still waiting for them to respond to my question as to whether or not the club had the coiurtesy to inform Arthur Austin's family of the change of name of the restaurant.

Defeatist bunch

I think the pitch could be a lot sparkier today after the first moisture in months

I haven't but it wouldn't surprise me. They've even had some of their do's in Newcastle ffs as well as parading the trophy at the 03 Arena. They have nothing to do with Durham ffs. Imagine if Yakshite played a home game in Manchester/Liverpool/Blackpool or paraded the championship trophy at said places?

Lovely and sunny in Central/East Durham today. Should get a result.

I haven't but it wouldn't surprise me. They've even had some of their do's in Newcastle ffs as well as parading the trophy at the 03 Arena. They have nothing to do with Durham ffs. Imagine if Yakshite played a home game in Manchester/Liverpool/Blackpool or paraded the championship trophy at said places?

Lovely and sunny in Central/East Durham today. Should get a result.
Not this again :lol:

Northumberland don't have a major cricket team, and won't in the foreseeable future, so it should be considered a great potential catchment area for Durham

It has fuck all to do with footy and regional tribalism

Wouldn't surprise me. Austins barely gets any trade and the club may well be happy to go to out grounds on occasions to keep costs down. Seems to be where we are with durham at the minute.

I heard but don't know if it is true that the club went cap in hand to the county council again in the winter but were refused anymore money.

As for today. I should be down last session and it could get exciting especially if durham are bowled out for not many more this morning.

We bowled Somerset out in little more than 40 overs in the first innings but if they have say 80 overs to get 300 then the game could get very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back