LVCC - Durham v Somerset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brandon, take ya heed for a shite. We've already got at least 50 more than needed. Any runs now are a bonus.

We are into the 3 innings on day 2, that tells you something.

So you're satisfied that we're 144-7?

I'd be as happy as anyone if I'm wrong and we win it but forgive me for being worried.

Close, 152-7. Lead of 275.

Last edited:

Arshad seems to be struggling to recover last seasons form

I am not sure why we are playing Borthwick, Jennings and Breese as spinners and all three batting in the top 7, looks unbalanced and Jennings seemsto be bowling first. Id like to see another front line batter

13 x LBW's in the game points to a suspect pitch and low bounce. hardly surprising given the time of the year. All in all Durham are still in the driving seat.

Arshad seems to be struggling to recover last seasons form

I am not sure why we are playing Borthwick, Jennings and Breese as spinners and all three batting in the top 7, looks unbalanced and Jennings seemsto be bowling first. Id like to see another front line batter
Jennings is a fast medium bowler unless he's changed this season. Arshad flattered with the ball last season imo so hopefully Wood will come through the 2nd team game OK this week. Hopefully we'll have Sanga for the next 2 games but that option is beginning to look increasingly unlikely.

So you're satisfied that we're 144-7?

I'd be as happy as anyone if I'm wrong and we win it but forgive me for being worried.

Close, 152-7. Lead of 275.

No, but I'm more than satisfied with a lead of 275, which will end up close to or over 300 to go into the final innings. Not many international teams chase that down, let alone domestic teams in English April. I suspect a lead of 1000 wouldn't be enough for you.

If, as expected, most of tomorrow is washed out, then 275 plus is going to be a hard target to chase on the forth day on a pitch that should have only lasted 3 days. It's more than likely that the wicket will get some dampness into it tomorrow and with no heavy roller to use for their innings, batting on Wednesday is going to be very tricky. If we bowl straight, we will win.

cool. Either way Breese is too high at 7

You're probably right, I'm not too keen with Mustard at 5 either really but we are pretty light on batting at present and realistically it's not going to improve this season. Sangakkara will boost us for two games and then Hastings for the back end of the season but even still, he's only really a middle to lower order batsman with his bowling his main foil (so I'm lead to believe).

I've given myself an hours contemplation and taken stock of the day. It's probably another 'won' day from our point of view but we've really let a commanding position slip.

The bowling this morning was excellent with Bunny and Rushy in great form causing all kinds of problems. Shame Harrison and Arshad couldn't quite keep the intensity up but hopefully they'll come good in the second innings.

To lead by 123 was the stuff of dreams, especially when we'd moved to 88-2 (effectively 211-2). Even at 123-4 we were primed for 350+ but to lose 3 wickets for 1 run was a real kick in the c*nt. The Somerset commentator mentioned complacency and to be fair to him I couldn't agree more. Marty said at the Close that our downfall was more self inflicted than a result of excellent bowling. Which when you consider they only had 3 full time bowlers operating it adds further insult to injury.

As it stands, Colly and Harrison have just arrested our slide for now and they're the key men tomorrow. If we can add another 40 or so tomorrow meaning they'll have to score the highest total of the match to win it then I'd fancy us to finish the job.

I just worry that they've got a very long batting lineup, with some vastly experienced lads who I don't think will perform so badly second time around. Add to that they'll probably have best part of five sessions to do it so for me that 300 lead is key.

Colly is probably the best man for the situation on fairness, if we can stick around for an hour or so we're laughing. There's a few showers forecast tomorrow too so that should hopefully just spice the wicket up a bit for our bowlers too.

No, but I'm more than satisfied with a lead of 275, which will end up close to or over 300 to go into the final innings. Not many international teams chase that down, let alone domestic teams in English April. I suspect a lead of 1000 wouldn't be enough for you.

I've already said anything over 300 and we're laughing and I'll be a lot happier when we get there. Forgive my concerns though that we were threatening to only set them 250.

Remarkable similarities to last years fixture - http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/593463.html - with the extra 50 runs in both first innings of course. We've similarly given them a sniff with a second innings capitulation, but if settle for a similar third day with Bunny and Rushy bowling us to victory :lol:

Last edited:
Aye, poolynorm was the 'skipper' iirc. Then there were the 'happy clappers' but I chose not to remember their names ;)

them were teh days. other than hating muchall with a passion i don't remember you being quite so pessimistic mind :lol:

them were teh days. other than hating muchall with a passion i don't remember you being quite so pessimistic mind :lol:

I just see it as being (in the main) realistic and being very desperate to see us do well mate.

I apologise to anyone who gets distressed by any of my posts. I'd like to think everyone on here are my friends and I did assume people knew my game by now. I worry a lot. What's more, I'm eternally pessimistic, HOWEVER, a lot of my pessimism on here is an attempt at reverse psychology. An attempt at jinxing the opposition. I admit to being delusional, but I do believe that my postings on this forum DO impact on the game of cricket and if I say we're going to struggle, we'll invariably waltz to victory :lol:. So all that considered, I expect Somerset to win tomorrow. ;)

Peace and love,
Brandon
x x

I just see it as being (in the main) realistic and being very desperate to see us do well mate.

I apologise to anyone who gets distressed by any of my posts. I'd like to think everyone on here are my friends and I did assume people knew my game by now. I worry a lot. What's more, I'm eternally pessimistic, HOWEVER, a lot of my pessimism on here is an attempt at reverse psychology. An attempt at jinxing the opposition. I admit to being delusional, but I do believe that my postings on this forum DO impact on the game of cricket and if I say we're going to struggle, we'll invariably waltz to victory :lol:. So all that considered, I expect Somerset to win tomorrow. ;)

Peace and love,
Brandon
x x

i don't get it, what makes you delusional?!

nice post and btw i think you are a top bloke. even got marty to mention you twice on comms today :lol::lol:

Peace and love,
Brandon
x x

What you post on here has no bearing to what's happening at Riverside, or Hove, or Edgbaston or wherever we are playing. There's a difference between 'wanting to do well' and being down right daft. Expecting to score 300 on a deteriorating pitch where the seamers are dominating is down right daft. We had enough at 220-ish. We've plenty in the tank so there's no need to be so 'pessimistic' or attention seeking as its more commonly known. Soz.

What you post on here has no bearing to what's happening at Riverside, or Hove, or Edgbaston or wherever we are playing. There's a difference between 'wanting to do well' and being down right daft. Expecting to score 300 on a deteriorating pitch where the seamers are dominating is down right daft. We had enough at 220-ish. We've plenty in the tank so there's no need to be so 'pessimistic' or attention seeking as its more commonly known. Soz.

Maybe expecting 300 is a bit much. However expecting not to be 152-7 at Close is the other end of the spectrum. I'm sure we'd all have settled for somewhere in the middle. It's your opinion of course but I'm really not seeking attention. It's a forum for debate about cricket and I just enjoy talking about it to like minded people. I'd discuss it with our lass if I could but she wouldn't know the difference between a seamer and a spinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back