Junior Doctors 'In it Together' with other Public Sector Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read your posts with interest as you obviously have insight into the working of the NHS that said, to say yesterdays action had no effect is naive at best. Elective operating cancelled, training lists not carried out, outpatient clinics cancelled/delayed - apart from that it was a relatively quiet day in our black escalation NHS!!!!
They cancelled emergency list surgeries too iirc.

Which appeared in the independent, doh!

It didn't have any impact. Everything was planned for long before the strike, certain people took on some of the juniors tasks and everything worked as planned. You don't fuck round when people's lives are at stake - unless you are a junior doctor, that is.

You truly are, a complete and utter Jeremy Hunt [/cockney rhyming slang]

There was no sign of pickets etc and other than the junior doctors who turned up wearing badges in support of their striking colleagues there was nothing visible.

It seemed very much like a Saturday in that there weren't many doctors mulling around. A lot more patients/people though.
There were at least 25 of them at the main gate on Chester Road when I was there yesterday (sorry if your little'un is in another hospital).

I really hope it goes well but all strike action engenders some inconvenience, it's the nature of the beast. I'm sure the intention isn't to cause undue suffering but I understand your anger.

There were at least 25 of them at the main gate on Chester Road when I was there yesterday (sorry if your little'un is in another hospital).

I really hope it goes well but all strike action engenders some inconvenience, it's the nature of the beast. I'm sure the intention isn't to cause undue suffering but I understand your anger.

It's not my little un this time marra. I didn't enter via Chester Road so I must have missed them picketing. It was Sunderland though so my mistake, I presumed they had no visible presence. I'm glad I didn't know as I may have had a word yesterday.

i can't understand the massive outpouring of support for doctors. Virtually everyone has suffered inroads into their pay and conditions over the last decade and now it just happens to be the turn of doctors.
They will just have to accept it as most of us already have.
They will still get a bloody good wage after all.

i can't understand the massive outpouring of support for doctors. Virtually everyone has suffered inroads into their pay and conditions over the last decade and now it just happens to be the turn of doctors.

Because they work harder than most keeping us alive and are getting fucked over?

They dont want to accept it and have the guts to fight it, that's the difference.

Because they work harder than most keeping us alive and are getting fucked over?
There are many professions that work equally as hard for a fraction of the pay.
There is a limited pot of money out there and everyone needs to accept that.
I would love doctors ,policeman ,firemen etc to get everything they wished for but how long would it be before we ended up like Greece.

I support any worker who chooses to fight the erosion of his/her working rights, terms and conditions. Surprised you dont tbh.

I would love doctors ,policeman ,firemen etc to get everything they wished for but how long would it be before we ended up like Greece.
Never is the obvious and correct answer. Greece is about as comparable to the UK as SAFC is to Real Madrid.

Bollocks. We live in a capitalist society, like it or not, where market rates are set. Junior doctors don't like the market rate being presented to them, so they're doing something about it. Respect to them.

Just because people in some industries are too lazy or incompetent to do anything other than accept pay cuts and longer hours, or simply accept the media / government bullshit without question, it doesn't mean others have to.

As soon as the government ensure big business aren't let off at 3% and charged the same taxes as small businesses, and stop giving grants under ministerial discretion to organisations that go into receivership 3 days later, I might have had more time for them.

Of course there is a limited pot of money but how do you spend it? I think we all know that 'working hard' has very little to do with how people are rewarded so, in this case, it comes down to whether you think it's a fair deal or not. Just because some politicians keep telling you something doesn't necessarily make it true.

The country is rich mate, otherwise successive governments wouldn't cut Corporation tax.

Of course there is a limited pot of money but how do you spend it? I think we all know that 'working hard' has very little to do with how people are rewarded so, in this case, it comes down to whether you think it's a fair deal or not. Just because some politicians keep telling you something doesn't necessarily make it true.
If the Tories are lying and there is a ton of money out there to hand out to everyone why don't they just do it. By giving everyone what they want they would guarantee being in power for infinitem.
The Tories are making very difficult decisions which are pissing people off could ultimately lead to them losing power but they are at least prepared to make those decisions.

If the Tories are lying and there is a ton of money out there to hand out to everyone why don't they just do it. By giving everyone what they want they would guarantee being in power for infinitem.
The Tories are making very difficult decisions which are pissing people off could ultimately lead to them losing power but they are at least prepared to make those decisions.
It's fuck all to do with improving the NHS. They are setting it up for failure by stretching the services beyond breaking point.

In typical Tory fashion they are trying to make the whole issue about pay and con the public into making the doctors look "greedy"

It's all a smoke screen to sell off one of the biggest potential cash cows left in the country. They have pushed through terrible reforms in education to make super academy chains. The result has led to record shortages in teaching.

They want to sell off the NHS to the highest bidders next. They couldn't give a fuck about the people on the front line or the patients who use the service. It's all smoke and mirrors

What on earth are you talking about?

For example?

Not sure why people are finding it so contentious to accept the fact that this is about pay and conditions.

If you accept it's also about the latter, which is fairly obvious, then it's not exactly jumping the Grand Canyon to see that it's also by extension about patient safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back