Junior Doctors 'In it Together' with other Public Sector Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

not this shite again, Look, the problem is, with this 7 day a week NHS (even though i am a nurse and have worked most weekends since december) is that Mr Hunt wants to spread resources that struggle with the service that is provided on 5 days and spread these finite resources across 7 days. Also, the type of elective surgery that Jeremy Hunt wants to move to Saturday and Sundays, when these have been offered to patients, they have had virtually zero up take and you go to surgery that offer these kind of services on a weekend and other than staff your likely to be the only person in the unit/surgery/deparment. The major problem with the NHS, if you take a Junior Doctor who has been training/working for 8 years they have had, through no fault of their own, 4 health secretaries each with their own agenda and ideas on how the NHS should be ran lurching the NHS in different directions meaning the NHS, its staff and its patients, which are every single person in this country have been kicked around as a political football.

As far as I can see this has nothing to do with patient safety, and everything to do with extra pay at weekends. Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt want my terms changing, but some of the crap I have seen bandied about by posh nob BMA reps on the telly makes me turn against their argument. I saw an one yesterday being asked why the compromise with the government offering extra for working 1 weekend in 4 was not being accepted, she said they wanted it to be 1 in 3, and there were "other reasons that are too complicated to explain". The last bit had me wanting to boot the TV through.

I guess there is right and wrong on both sides, the Government wants 7 day coverage, but wants to do it on the cheap. The BMA dont mind doing it as long as they get paid top whack.

Especially for @Frijj

As far as I can see this has nothing to do with patient safety, and everything to do with extra pay at weekends. Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt want my terms changing, but some of the crap I have seen bandied about by posh nob BMA reps on the telly makes me turn against their argument. I saw an one yesterday being asked why the compromise with the government offering extra for working 1 weekend in 4 was not being accepted, she said they wanted it to be 1 in 3, and there were "other reasons that are too complicated to explain". The last bit had me wanting to boot the TV through.

I guess there is right and wrong on both sides, the Government wants 7 day coverage, but wants to do it on the cheap. The BMA dont mind doing it as long as they get paid top whack.

Especially for @Frijj
They should be paid top whack. I can't think of many more deserving cases, tbh.

I'm looking forward to the usual two or three posters who are against this strike posting their utter tripe and non-factual arguments.

it seems neebody is against it frijj except me and the government, I havn't thoroghly researched it so I accept I could be well wide of the mark I just feel that theres a limited pot and they should be prepared to take a haircut like most of the rest of us.

it seems neebody is against it frijj except me and the government, I havn't thoroghly researched it so I accept I could be well wide of the mark I just feel that theres a limited pot and they should be prepared to take a haircut like most of the rest of us.

I'm with you. If it was about safety and not money then I could understand, but nothing I have seen is going to cause a problem for the patients other than them going on strike, and I am pretty sure it will have affected people already.

Are they dishing these out for free? I haven't had mine yet

I'm not including you in that. There's a number of very vocal posters who were making arguments based on things shown to be false.

Especially for @Frijj

It's not just about the seven day coverage, it's about losing wages in the long term by making Saturday a regular day for doctors and most importantly ending guaranteed time-served pay increases for junior doctors.

I'm with you. If it was about safety and not money then I could understand, but nothing I have seen is going to cause a problem for the patients other than them going on strike, and I am pretty sure it will have affected people already.

It is about a lot of things. Money, working conditions, patient safety, principles

Stop thinking this is just about money. Money is obviously important (mate if you were still a junior colleague after five years of university and ten years of full time work doing something directly related to that degree, you'd expect better treatment than this) but so are the other things

I'm not including you in that. There's a number of very vocal posters who were making arguments based on things shown to be false.

It's not just about the seven day coverage, it's about losing wages in the long term by making Saturday a regular day for doctors and most importantly ending guaranteed time-served pay increases for junior doctors.

An admission, its all about the Money. At least your truthful in your argument. To be clear, you support a doctors strike to give them extra money for working unsociable hours.

It is about safety and patients.

I'd say that increasing hours of a doctor to 92 per week (which is illegal under the working time directive for all other occupations, I should add) would have an impact on safety, if you ask me.

Hunt wants to take a resource that is already stretched over 5 days and roll it out over 7. It won't work. My own GP has literally this week left the profession because he's had enough. There will be more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back