Johnson and Mannone to lose squad places?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I can see both sides here. Johnson is our most talented footballer. However, we don't know what's going on behind the scenes and if he's rewarded for slipping back into his old habits how does that effect the rest of the team's morale.

It must be infuriating to see such a gifted player produce so little week in, week out.

If mannone plays our next match pants must be sitting there thinking wtf has to happen for me to get a game!! I don't think pants is any better but I think mannone needs taking out the spotlight a bit, similar to what happened with Joe Hart & it worked wonders for him IMO IIRC

Mannone deserves to be dropped but the point I'd make about Johnson is that he has done very little since he came here. the fact that we paid what £12m for him and £10m for rodwell and neither are guaranteed a place in the starting line up ahead of say Larsson is an indicment on:

1. how poorly managed these players are, and/or
2. how poor our transfer dealings are

We're moaning about having no money when we have frittered away £20m+ in transfer fees on these 2, plus wages.
He has been our best player since he came. He has far and away scored and set up more goals than anybody else in the squad at the time.

I think the thing with him is that sometimes he isn't in the games. So people get shirty that he's lazy or whatever it is that they think. I think as well, for a £10m+ winger, people expect him to get the ball, skin half a dozen players then curl one in. He's not Chris Waddle, he is Adam Johnson.

I'm a big one for end product. No matter how "pretty" a move may be, it doesn't matter if you don't at least get a shot on target and test the keeper. If you put the ball at Adam Johnson's feet in a dangerous position, he delivery quality the vast majority of the time. He's not as flashy as others, he does work hard but it goes unnoticed because he's not, I don't know what it is, enthusiastic looking? I remember times when he's been the only one trying, running the full length of the pitch in the 85th minute, winning corners etc but it just seems to pass people by.

He's a modern, efficient player with talent. I wish our fans appreciated him more.

Maybe the article is using the wrong terminology but it would appear that Poyet is close to dropping both - one I can understand but not the other.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/10/28/gus-suggests-two-players-who-could-be-dropped-by-sunderl/

At least Poyet is showing some trace of having a pair of bollocks. Any predecessor would have devoutly stood by them.

If mannone plays our next match pants must be sitting there thinking wtf has to happen for me to get a game!!

Start performing well and take the blame for our mistakes on the chin like a man.

I don't think pants is any better...

No hope for Costel either then.

but I think mannone needs taking out..

I know someone who I can pay handsomely for the job. And there will be no trace either so it will be clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Poyet wants to play 4 5 1 he would be better playing Buckley wide left , Larson on the right and Johnson in the centre to join up with Fletcher and to have a more free role with more space than he finds out on the wing. Sorted!

Also meant to say why the hell would you drop the one player who can unlock a defence - if he only does it once per game it is still more than the rest manage between them!

Allardyce has done the above with Downing, at the head of the diamond, to great effect this season

Buckley will definitely play and it wouldn't surprise me if johnson doesn't start.
Poyet not fancying our best player and only creative spark is ridiculous.

I think Poyet is building a position for January to get some serious funding. Johnson can be frustrating at times but he can also be brilliant (admittedly less often than he is frustrating). Gus is trotting out the "we've got no quality" mantra and it suits this to put Buckley in.

I think he's trying to force Short's hand and has the backup position if he gets sacked that he's been saying for ages that Congerton signs them and there's no quality.

Dangerous game Gus.

I think Poyet is building a position for January to get some serious funding. Johnson can be frustrating at times but he can also be brilliant (admittedly less often than he is frustrating). Gus is trotting out the "we've got no quality" mantra and it suits this to put Buckley in.

I think he's trying to force Short's hand and has the backup position if he gets sacked that he's been saying for ages that Congerton signs them and there's no quality.

Dangerous game Gus.
You think our manager is deliberately picking a weakened team?
I'd be amazed if that was true and if it is he should be sacked immediately.

Dangerous game Gus.
What a load of f***ing rubbish.

You think our manager is deliberately picking a weakened team?
I'd be amazed if that was true and if it is he should be sacked immediately.
As I say, I think he's trying to force Short into spending money and giving him more control over transfers and this is his way of doing it. To drop Johnson from the team/squad when we don't have anybody who can/is doing better is madness, as are some of his substitutions.
Strongest team should be put out every week. Full stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back