How good was Henderson as a lad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played against Sunderlands academy side for my county side when I was 15 and Colback was in the team. He was te only one who stood out although they had him playing on the left side that night. We won 4-1 and apart from Colback the rest of the team seemed shite tbh. In fact more of my county side made it pro than that sunderland side. Dan Burn who plays for Fulham and Mark Cullen who was at Hull but is now at Luton and has a few goals this season.

Bit worried about getting involved in Henderson debate in case I get slagged off for being at odds with certain people's opinions but here goes! I am in the camp that thinks he is an average to good player at best. If he is a mainstay of England team, as he seems to be, then it is little surprise that currently it is a bit of a laughing stock.

He can't tackle, is indifferent header of the ball and doesn't contribute a lot of goals. What exactly are his strengths? Stamina, decent passer of the ball and good attitude seem to be the most cited. I would suggest that to be an international player for a country such as England then one would hope for better than that.

Genuinely I am pleased that he has done well. Don't know him at all but seems from what is reported to be a good lad and a model professional. But if he is the best our academy has produced in the last 15 years it's no wonder that we don't do anything other than struggle in the Premier league. I suppose however the inadequacies of our academy/scouting system is a topic for another day

There's 4 years between them though so unless somebody had been seriously studying both players and comparing them (at least) 4 years later, it would be quite difficult to say that. Surely only one of our Academy scouts would be able to make such a statement!
Or anyone that watched our youths and reserve sides. It's 4 years not 20 between them.

Paul thirlwell was the year above me at school and was very good. Was another lad in his year just as good, if not better, but didn't get the break a suppose. Heard he duffed a trial at Liverpool the other lad, to chase after a lass to majorca :eek:.

That clip brings back a few memories for me like. I grew up in Herrington. The shop across the road from the Board Inn was a VG shop that me mam and dad owned. Remember watching the 1973 FA cup open top bus parade from there. I was always down the park there as well where all the lads were having a kick around.
What Skinners newsagents ?? She had 2 Dyke Daughters that were pug ugly !!

What Skinners newsagents ?? She had 2 Dyke Daughters that were pug ugly !!
Not Mavis Skinner. My mam and dad's shop was on the corner with the petrol station directly across from the Board Inn.

Mavis two twin daughters had anorexia I seem to recall.

That must have been a few years ago, were you there when the Chick Inn Takeaway was there ?? That shops a bookies now !!

Not much help to the thread but I played against Michael carrick quite often and he was very good. Martin Taylor (broke eduardos leg) played for our rivals crammy juniors and he was absolutely unbelievable, was like a man playing with boys.
So in essence, Martin Taylor is a peado?

The lad is really a very average player. However he clearly brown noses and puts loads of effort in which in English terms means that the lad will get on in engish football no problem.
Please......he works hard and is a sensible lad. He doesn't do fancy tricks on the pitch, his passes meet the target, he can make long "Hollywood passes" he hold the ball and makes very good decisions.

Proper role model and devoted to improving himself. He will captain England one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back