How did you react to Howard Wilkos appointment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
we were due a change mate, there was a lack of discipline under pr and many of the players lacked intellect (particularly the likes of macateer) and on paper a headmasterly presence like hw would have improved that. of course as it turned out hw was a fuckn clown there. i had similar feelings at the time as i did when they took a mad gamble on pdc iirc. the latter paid off in the short term though

Total denial. I laughed at first, took the pisstakes then tried to persuade myself that the coaching gold stars meant something

With glee or something much much different?

I remember thinking "eh" but then thought about it a bit and then someone told me Cotterill anarl and I was like "eh him anarl" didn't know what to think
They had a great window you knowm.How?

Well the expert media pundits told us so.

On paper it looked reasonable. Old head guiding a young energetic coach.

In reality Cotterill was Wilkinson's tea boy and the Sarge had gone full Colonel Kurtz.

Having no idea who he was, I think I was about 13. I was excited for Mick McCarthy then a teacher told us the news and there was a collective "who?"

Reminded me of the comment some wag made about Cotterill and his note book. :lol:

What was that?

I remember being next to the dugout at one of the FA Cup games under those two. Every time we got a throwin, SC screamed "THROW IT 'AAAAARD STEPHEN, THROW IT 'AAAAAAAAARD" at Stephen Wright. It was at that point that I suspected their tactics weren't up to much.

Self delusion.

After the initial bewilderment, I convinced myself that this was a Clough / Taylor esque blend of youth and experience.

For some reason, the announcement of Phil Babb was a bigger blow around the same(?) time.

What was that?

I remember being next to the dugout at one of the FA Cup games under those two. Every time we got a throwin, SC screamed "THROW IT 'AAAAARD STEPHEN, THROW IT 'AAAAAAAAARD" at Stephen Wright. It was at that point that I suspected their tactics weren't up to much.

Heard the story on here a few times.

Cotterill was furiously scribbling in his notebook during another insipid performance. He paused briefly, pencil in mouth. Then an voice came from the stands - "What's the matter Steve? Can you not spell "shite"?".

Was never given a chance. Lasted about 5 minutes. He did bring Mart Poom to the club IIRC.

Cautiously optimistic - last Englishman to win the league (still is as well, I think). Tried to convince myself we would be fine, but never really managed it.

Cotterill's doing a very good job with Bristol City this year. Unbeaten, and playing some lovely stuff. Should have kept him.

Cotterill interview:

What was it like working with Wilko? Did you learn lots?

[Pained gurgles] Er. Um. I'd rather not even talk about that if it can be helped. Let's look forward.

Sure thing. So how did the Sunderland players react when Wilko upped their training regime to two sessions a day?
[Emphatically] You're not going to get anything out of me on that subject.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2005/apr/01/smalltalk.sportinterviews

With glee or something much much different?

I remember thinking "eh" but then thought about it a bit and then someone told me Cotterill anarl and I was like "eh him anarl" didn't know what to think
I remember thinking the combination of him and Cotterill with all their fancy coaching qualifications was going to be immense. I was still convinced things were about to turn a corner just before he got sacked to be fair mind- always been stupidly optimistic it seems.

Cotterill's doing a very good job with Bristol City this year. Unbeaten, and playing some lovely stuff. Should have kept him.
Looking back we should've just gave him the job on his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back