Glenn Whelan linked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bony and benteke ships have sailed I'm afraid. They'd be off to a top 6 club of they were to leave. We need to pluck an unknown out from nowhere or polish up a rough diamond.
Neither of which we have a good record of doing.

I agree, we face a really difficult situation. The team is crying out for a bit of quality in a couple of key positions and just adding more of what we already have just means more money wasted on fees and wages. I just wonder how good Congerton's knowledge of European football is..........is it good enough for him to identify these key players...even if they are already fairly high profile and wouldn't come cheap, or is he still dependant on scouts.

Touching wood here but we do look to be a reasonably solid team with a fair bit of depth up front and in midfield and you'd like to believe that just two players of the right quality could make a vast difference.

So a player who has been good enough to play in a side that has finished above us for the last few seasons isn't actually good enough for us? :lol:
Perhaps he should change his name to something like Gyan Willian ey! That would pull the wool over the eyes of many (jordi Gomez anyone) :lol:.
Very objective from you.

because they don't watch them regularly. Whelan isn't that popular with Stoke fans, Cattermole is with Sunderland fans. Why?

Whelans current manager wanted Cattermole and now seemingly doesn't want Whelan. .Why?

No it won't. Past mistakes are irrelevant.

Quick question and answer this honestly. Before we signed Rodwell who would you have said is the better player Rodwell or Whelan?
A helluva lot of past mistakes then and I've seen nothing to suggest we've learned from them. Have you?
Rodwell all day long. I was probably as guilty as anybody in getting carried away on his reputation as oppose to what he'd actually done which in hindsight we probably all did.

A helluva lot of past mistakes then and I've seen nothing to suggest we've learned from them. Have you?
Rodwell all day long. I was probably as guilty as anybody in getting carried away on his reputation as oppose to what he'd actually done which in hindsight we probably all did.
I hope we have learned from our mistakes. Thats not the point though.

You said and I quote "our supporters seem to still believe we are above players like this when it's pretty much all we can expect."

We have signed better players.

Would be a pointless signing for me as he wouldn't offer anything new. Similar player to Cattermole but not as good plus we have Bridcutt as backup so I think this story is a load of shite

I hope we have learned from our mistakes. Thats not the point though.

You said and I quote "our supporters seem to still believe we are above players like this when it's pretty much all we can expect."

We have signed better players.
Name me a central midfielder we have signed who is better than Glenn whelan since we came back up?

Lee Cattermole.
Not much in it for me but I'll let ya have that one though. That's one by the way (which is debatable) which proves my point that the Glenn whelans of this world are pretty much where we are at and have been fur about 8 year now.

Not much in it for me but I'll let ya have that one though. That's one by the way (which is debatable) which proves my point that the Glenn whelans of this world are pretty much where we are at and have been fur about 8 year now.
Position is irrelevant.

We have made bigger and better signings than Glenn f***ing Whelan.

Asamoah Gyan
Darren Bent
Lee Cattermole
Adam Johnson
Steed Malbranque

I'm sure others will add more.

I agree, we face a really difficult situation. The team is crying out for a bit of quality in a couple of key positions and just adding more of what we already have just means more money wasted on fees and wages. I just wonder how good Congerton's knowledge of European football is..........is it good enough for him to identify these key players...even if they are already fairly high profile and wouldn't come cheap, or is he still dependant on scouts.

Touching wood here but we do look to be a reasonably solid team with a fair bit of depth up front and in midfield and you'd like to believe that just two players of the right quality could make a vast difference.
We are solid and I have no issue with Gus or his style of play to be honest as he's working with the tools he has. Maintaining our top flight status is pretty much our only objective and I think Poyet will achieve that.
Time will tell on what congerton brings to the party and last window he was still probably getting his feet under the table. January is never a great month for major improvements so next summer will be the test for him I feel.

Position is irrelevant.

We have made bigger and better signings than Glenn f***ing Whelan.

Asamoah Gyan
Darren Bent
Lee Cattermole
Adam Johnson
Steed Malbranque

I'm sure others will add more.
It isn't irrelevant though as everybody is after a quality central midfielder. A man to unlock doors and chip in with goals.
All those signings you mention were made quite a long time ago as well by the way which again indicates where we are currently at.

It isn't irrelevant though as everybody is after a quality central midfielder. A man to unlock doors and chip in with goals.
All those signings you mention were made quite a long time ago as well by the way which again indicates where we are currently at.
It is though you said we can't expect better and we have made better and bigger signings. You even admitted you thought Rodwell was better. I think you've looked at with overly negative eyes AGAIN and you're now trying to justify it knowing you're wrong.

It is though you said we can't expect better and we have made better and bigger signings. You even admitted you thought Rodwell was better. I think you've looked at with overly negative eyes AGAIN and you're now trying to justify it knowing you're wrong.
No it isn't though and we were all wrong with Rodwell.
It isn't negative to suggest since we've came back up we haven't brought in any midfielders that are an improvement on Whelan. Even if you want to open it up to all positions you have named me 5 which gives even more credence to my claim that he is very much a sunderland signing as we must've signed about 70 players in that time.

No it isn't though and we were all wrong with Rodwell.
It isn't negative to suggest since we've came back up we haven't brought in any midfielders that are an improvement on Whelan. Even if you want to open it up to all positions you have named me 5 which gives even more credence to my claim that he is very much a sunderland signing as we must've signed about 70 players in that time.
All position...don't talk f***ing shite. Far more than 4,

Mignolet, larsson, o'shea, fletcher, Johnson, malbranque, catts, gyan, bent.

That's before numerous loans.

Do you realise how f***ing shite Whelan is

Rodwell, Larsson and Taino all no I'm afraid.
Based in what?

Larsson has achieved far more than Whelan in his career and produces better stats season in season out. If we had Whelan and Stoke had larsson you would be saying how larsson was easily better.

Whelan is exactly the type of player we don't need yet exactly the type of player we often pursue.

A hard working, unimaginative central midfielder with no pace, no vision and limited ability.

Regardless of who we've signed that's better, Glenn Whelan would add the square root of fuck all to our squad.

High on Poyet's Christmas list is a new striker to improve his side's record of 14 goals in 16 Premier League games.

He said: "When we get into the last third the delivery needs to be better - that’s quality; the finishing needs to be better - that’s quality; the heading needs to be better - that’s quality."

The above doesn't sound like whelan at all :lol: bullshit I reckon.

All position...don't talk f***ing shite. Far more than 4,

Mignolet, larsson, o'shea, fletcher, Johnson, malbranque, catts, gyan, bent.

That's before numerous loans.

Do you realise how f***ing shite Whelan is

Based in what?

Larsson has achieved far more than Whelan in his career and produces better stats season in season out. If we had Whelan and Stoke had larsson you would be saying how larsson was easily better.
Mignolet was a nobody when we signed him man! Fletch had been relegated. TWICE! Larsson produces better stats? What stats are these? By thee way I'm not saying whelan is better than seb they are much of a muchness.
Based on Rodwell, Taino and larrsson have done no more or no less than what whelan has really. Again isn't an improvement on these players just a standard player for our club really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back