Glenn Whelan linked

Status
Not open for further replies.

We decided to keep Catts before Bridcutt had even kicked a ball for us.
Yes as it would have left us light in the middle. Bridcutt was in before catts until his missus had the bairn and catts got back in.
He was certainly brought in to replace him in the XI though.

Not unhappy with him, he needs time. Like Pulis got.
And who in our side strikes you as an individual then as oppose to stokes side?

We are solid and I have no issue with Gus or his style of play to be honest as he's working with the tools he has. Maintaining our top flight status is pretty much our only objective and I think Poyet will achieve that.
Time will tell on what congerton brings to the party and last window he was still probably getting his feet under the table. January is never a great month for major improvements so next summer will be the test for him I feel.

It isn't irrelevant though as everybody is after a quality central midfielder. A man to unlock doors and chip in with goals.
All those signings you mention were made quite a long time ago as well by the way which again indicates where we are currently at.

So you think we would be trying to sign Whelan to chip in with goals and unlock doors? Have you seen him play?

Yes as it would have left us light in the middle. Bridcutt was in before catts until his missus had the bairn and catts got back in.
He was certainly brought in to replace him in the XI though.

And who in our side strikes you as an individual then as oppose to stokes side?
Cattermole would have started v Newcastle but for injury.

Who is an indiviual in comparison to a team? are you taking the piss?

Has anyone watched him in great detail? Strengths, weaknesses, how he could fit into our side and in whose place?

No, thought not.

I've seen him loads of times for Ireland, man. He has 61 caps and I've seen the vast majority of them.

When he was first capped, he was pretty shit. But he has grown over the years, I suppose experience in the Premier League and ages does that. He is a holding midfielder, decent enough defensively although hardly anything special either. Alright on the ball too, can be a bit negative in his pass choice at times. Decent shot from distance, scored a couple of screamers... but he really doesn't offer anything in the final third of much substance. He's a keep-it-simple passer and will always give 100%, lots of work rate. As an aside, Stoke fans seem to rate him pretty highly, in that he holds their midfield together.

Is he better than Cattermole? No
Is he better than Seb? In current form, probably not... he'd probably be playing the Seb role too, I'd imagine. You can't really beat Seb's work rate and Seb offers more on the ball, although Whelan might be stronger in the tackle?
Is he better than Gomez/Rodwell/Bridcutt? Possibly, in fact... probably. But would he add an extra dimension to our midfield? No... it'd be more of the same really. I think we need to add a box-to-box player with a bit of creativity, I hoped Rodwell would be the answer. Whelan wouldn't be that either.

If we signed Whelan, he'd be the kind of player we'd be happy with but he's nothing special. It depends what we're looking for.

Tbh, this probably isn't true.

Mignolet was a nobody when we signed him man! Fletch had been relegated. TWICE! Larsson produces better stats? What stats are these? By thee way I'm not saying whelan is better than seb they are much of a muchness.
Based on Rodwell, Taino and larrsson have done no more or no less than what whelan has really. Again isn't an improvement on these players just a standard player for our club really.
So now it's about reputation and not ability? Dear me

So now it's about reputation and not ability? Dear me
Mignolet developed into a top goalkeeper man! He wasn't a sought after signature when we bought him. In hindsight he was a top signing but there was nothing marquee about him when he arrived.

So you think we would be trying to sign Whelan to chip in with goals and unlock doors? Have you seen him play?
Have I ever said this? What i am saying is that anyone expecting much better than whelan in January will be in for a rude awakening.
The kind of creative player I described is what everyone is after (top clubs) which is why we invariably end up with steady hardworking players such as whelan, larrsson, catts etc.

Cattermole would have started v Newcastle but for injury.

Who is an indiviual in comparison to a team? are you taking the piss?
How do you know? He certainly wasn't straight back into the side after was he?
You are the one talking of our better individuals not being as productive as a cohesive TEAM. So I ask again who are our superior individual players in comparison to a Stoke for example?

Last edited:
You are the one talking of our better individuals not being as productive as a cohesive TEAM. So I ask again who are our superior individual players in comparison to a Stoke for example?

Are you saying none of our players would get in to Stokes side?

Mignolet developed into a top goalkeeper man! He wasn't a sought after signature when we bought him. In hindsight he was a top signing but there was nothing marquee about him when he arrived.

Have I ever said this? What i am saying is that anyone expecting much better than whelan in January will be in for a rude awakening.
The kind of creative player I described is what everyone is after (top clubs) which is why we invariably end up with steady hardworking players such as whelan, larrsson, catts etc.

I'm not expecting much better as we will only be in for loans. No rude awakening here.

Next summer I expect a lot better though

They'd all get in.

As I said we have individuals who would get in their side. Its took a while but the penny has finally dropped.

Well done Bonny Lad
I don't think they'd all be certainties but would certainly be decent members of the squad. That's still only 3 by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back