Ghostbusters

Status
Not open for further replies.

It doesn't look great. Stunt casting plus branding everyone who may have had reservations about casting based on gender rather than how funny the actors are as misogynists. Then there's the trailer, Bridesmaids with proton packs, the black lady's not a scientist for some reason, is it a sequel or a reboot, what a mess. All the originals back but not playing their original characters, how monumentally thick is that.

Looks to me like Sony are trying to bury it already. Fantastic Four's publicity has got nothing on this.
Winston was never a scientist (I'm assuming that Winston's character is being played by the black lass).

Let's be honest it's going to be shite
My issue is it's gimmicky. Lets do ghost busters but make them lasses! I think a lot of the negativity is down to casting.

The trailer starts with "30 years ago...etc..." and tries to hook into your nostalgia but it's a reboot/remake with a twist rather than a sequel. Nobody knows about ghosts, the original films didn't happen.

If they'd done a story with Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson passing the torch I think it would have been better received despite the dead Harold Ramis and a disinterested Bill Murray.

It will probably be objectively okay but get rated as shite. That's a shame because I've been waiting for a Ghostbuster's 3 since I was 6.

Last edited:
How do you know its shocking? It isn't released until July 15th.

Is your opinion based purely on the fact that the leads are played by females? :rolleyes:
Give over man. You know for a fact it's going to be a pile of horse shit and the blame will lay solely with the female cast weather you like it or not.

I think Sex and the City was supposed to be funny in bits, our lass used to watch that. Thought it was god-awful to be honest.
Maybe one or two laugh out loud moments a season from what I've seen. Not watched a lot of them though, and doubt I will given it ended over a decade ago.

My issue is it's gimmicky. Lets do ghost busters but make them lasses! I think a lot of the negativity is down to casting.

The trailer starts with "30 years ago...etc..." and tries to hook into your nostalgia but it's a reboot/remake with a twist rather than a sequel. Nobody knows about ghosts, the original films didn't happen.

If they'd done a story with Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson passing the torch I think it would have been better received despite the dead Harold Ramis and a disinterested Bill Murray.

It will probably be objectively okay but get rated as shite. That's a shame because I've been waiting for a Ghostbuster's 3 since I was 6.

I wouldn't bet on it.

It would be almost forgivable if they did it as an actual sequel.

I mean it would be much more difficult to write than just "we'll hoy together the same basic premise, throw in a couple of nods to the original and lob in a few jokes - I'll have a script in 20 minutes".

If the cast wasn't all female so they could fall back on the old "you're just being sexist" it would have been destroyed already. As far as I can tell the stars have been on SNL and a couple of minor movies or played a few bit parts in bigger productions and fuck all else? If they were gonna go that route at least just hand over the whole lot to amy poehler and tina fey.

They wouldn't remake back to the future with xander from buffy and whoever played the elderly neighbour from modern family as doc.

Winston was never a scientist (I'm assuming that Winston's character is being played by the black lass).
Another rehash I have issues with. Can't help but think having her as a relative of Winston would have been a better way to hook her in.

Could have had Wiig as a protégé of Ray and tied it together as a weak sequel.

I'd imagine the planning was like this.
Let's remake Ghostbusters but with a twist.

What's the twist?

We get the guy from Bridesmaids to make it as he still has a contract with the studio. Plus he said he can get some of the cast from that movie to play the parts.

Erm, aren't they women?

Yes! That's the twist. They are women! And we can get the guy from Thor to play Jeanie. The madness!

What about just getting male actors to play the original parts or the 3 surviving members to play their own parts? Maybe get Zooey Deschanel to play Egon's niece? Isn't that Thor guy a hunk who can't act for toffee?

We could but it's the director from Bridesmaids and the fat girl from Mike & Molly. She's funny because she's fat and falls over. Thor guy is hot so ladies will love him.

What about the story?

Balls to the story! We don't need one. If anyone doesn't like it we can say they are sexist and misogynistic and they hate it because they are women!

I can pull a better premise out of my arse right now, involving a female cast.

Egon has been killed in an unseen incident which leaves the three originals ready to hand over to a new team. With Ghostbusters now being a worldwide franchise they send for the best four individuals in the world to take over the premier outfit. Due to an admin error, probably involving Janine, they end up with the worst four, who save New York and the world anyway thanks to some help from the old boys, probably involving a montage.

Ghostbusters 2 killed the series and had they made the third with what's left of the original cast then it would also be a terrible idea.

The original is a classic and Ghostbusters should be left well alone.

They'll be remaking Its a Wonderful Life with a twist next. This one will have two leanians with kids coming from sperm donors. When the family Internet business goes bust and one contemplates suicide God will send a friendly Martyr who hasn't earned his virgins yet (bomb vest exploded early) to come down and save the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back