Gary Owers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello lads,

What are people's abiding memories of Gary Owers? And is he still married to that ice skater?
I remember he had a decent chance to score in the play off final against swindon....fluffed it....in what was an all round abject performance by the lads.

I also remember seeing him at the cinema (sat in the seat in front of mine with cordon Armstrong - both with their WAGs - at park lane when it was still there...was it called the kings cinema back in the day? I think the film was silence of the lambs.

90's Jordan Henderson,could run all day,Arsenal once offered £1.2 million,i think.

Aston Villa were interested in him when big Ron was manager for around £1m if I remember correctly. A good athlete and put in some decent performances for us.

I bought some stuff from him on eBay a couple years back without realising who he was until I arrived at his house to collect it :D

He showed me all his old Sunderland memorabilia, he said he was flogging most of it to a collector from Sunderland.

Top bloke

(And yes his Mrs is a wad)

Great player for us in the 3rd division.
Liked him personally , as others say, he was a grafter and the fans took to him.

Should have sold him to Norwich for a million. Good servant to the club.

I thought it was Forest who offered daft money for him - which we incredibly turned down, considering how strapped for cash we were back then

I also remember seeing him at the cinema (sat in the seat in front of mine with cordon Armstrong - both with their WAGs - at park lane when it was still there...was it called the kings cinema back in the day? I think the film was silence of the lambs.

People say modern footballers live in a world of their own, separated from the normal fans.

But here we have proof that its always been this way - with Owers having his own area taped off from the public.

Disgusting.

Me and me mate beat him and Anton Rogan at snooker in the Sally back in the day. Canny lads. Joanne was there also, she didn't appreciate my "I didnt recognise you on your feet" gag!! (she always fell owa ice skating).

Posh and Becks of Sunderland. Also, his tackle on Mark Stimson against the Mags, is quite possibly the best ever.

Approx 6.40 mins...

Proper football!!
Also worth a look. Kaysie getting a hold of Quinn. 48 mins 46 secs! In fact, watch the whole match. Class!

Owers even does a headed tackle. 41 mins!

Getting a bit muddled up with times. May as well hoy this on though!

Last edited:
Wasn't even a foul?????? :lol: :lol:

Also, the original of the piss-coloured deck chair strip?

I remember the commentary on the 2nd leg where they mentioned Jim Smith saying he should have been sent off 3 times in the 1st leg :lol:

I always liked him from the first time I saw him at Donny early in the 87-88 season. He scored iirc and if it wasn't his debut it was certainly one of his first games.

The fact that he turned into a rabid dog against the Mags was a bonus.

I remember the commentary on the 2nd leg where they mentioned Jim Smith saying he should have been sent off 3 times in the 1st leg :lol:

I always liked him from the first time I saw him at Donny early in the 87-88 season. He scored iirc and if it wasn't his debut it was certainly one of his first games.

The fact that he turned into a rabid dog against the Mags was a bonus.

We were in that weird caged standing bit behind the goal. He ran through on goal rounded the keeper and scored. It all seemed very slow, like he was running through treacle and the Doncaster team couldn't be ársed to chase after him.

I remember the early phases of how you pronounced his surname - was it O-wers or Ow-ers? It rivalled VHS v Beta at the time. One of those 'good, honest lads' that always gave it his all and wouldn't hide when he was having a shite game.

Still annoyed about him being caught in two minds early in the '92 FA Cup Final when we had a 3 on 2 situation and ended up delivering a nothing pass, mind. But I liked him for helping us get through our lowest ebb as a club and restoring a bit of pride to Sunderland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back