Gary Owers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Birtley lad,decent enough player
Remember going down to Brentford,first game of the season when we were in the old 3rd division,Gary owers scored that day and the Sunderland end went mental,great away trip that one

Keith Berschin scored that day.

It was Gary Owers' debut.

Birtley lad,decent enough player
Remember going down to Brentford,first game of the season when we were in the old 3rd division,Gary owers scored that day and the Sunderland end went mental,great away trip that one
It's funny but I went to that game, and I remember Keith Bertschin scoring. Beaten to it.

Hello lads,

What are people's abiding memories of Gary Owers? And is he still married to that ice skater?
Remember this young skinny kid scoring his first ever goal in front of our lot at Doncaster in the old third division two seal the 2-0 win. Just before his 19th birthday as I remember it. Always looked like he might be a player, but ultimately had one or two good moments and settled away from the area.

Played against him as a kid, he was unremarkable.
Always looked like he was running into a strong wind.
I went to the same school as him where he was the year below me.

There was no indication he was going to make it as a professional footballer when he was at school

fair play to the lad, he served SAFC well

I went to the same school as him where he was the year below me.

There was no indication he was going to make it as a professional footballer when he was at school

fair play to the lad, he served SAFC well

I thought there was. Sunderland tapped him when he was 14.

Great servant for a dyed in the wool black and whiter.

Couldn't understand why Buxton was desperate to get shot of him..

I thought there was. Sunderland tapped him when he was 14.

Great servant for a dyed in the wool black and whiter.

Couldn't understand why Buxton was desperate to get shot of him..
I didn't know he was tapped up as a 14 year old. As a kid playing in school and Sunday league teams at the time, kids with talent tended to stand out. I played in quite a few teams with Joe Allon when we were at school and against Gazza quite a lot. Those two had quite a "reputation" as kids and you just knew they'd make it. I can't recall Owers standing out as a talent at that age

I didn't know he was tapped up as a 14 year old. As a kid playing in school and Sunday league teams at the time, kids with talent tended to stand out. I played in quite a few teams with Joe Allon when we were at school and against Gazza quite a lot. Those two had quite a "reputation" as kids and you just knew they'd make it. I can't recall Owers standing out as a talent at that age

He was head and shoulders better than any player on any side at our junior school.

My arl fella said back then he would make it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back