Gary Owers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember the commentary on the 2nd leg where they mentioned Jim Smith saying he should have been sent off 3 times in the 1st leg :lol:

I always liked him from the first time I saw him at Donny early in the 87-88 season. He scored iirc and if it wasn't his debut it was certainly one of his first games.

The fact that he turned into a rabid dog against the Mags was a bonus.

I always remember Butcher substituting him early in the second half at Roker, a decision which prompted from Owers the outpouring of the singularly best withering sweary prose I've ever heard right into Butchers face.
Owers was limited but gave everything.
Butcher is a complete kernt.

Birtley lad,decent enough player
Remember going down to Brentford,first game of the season when we were in the old 3rd division,Gary owers scored that day and the Sunderland end went mental,great away trip that one

We were in that weird caged standing bit behind the goal. He ran through on goal rounded the keeper and scored. It all seemed very slow, like he was running through treacle and the Doncaster team couldn't be ársed to chase after him.

He did have a funny running style. I was down the side in the paddock of their main stand - such as it was. I think we only got about 800 tickets and that cage just seemed to be plonked in the middle of the away end with loads of wasted room around it iirc.

I always remember Butcher substituting him early in the second half at Roker, a decision which prompted from Owers the outpouring of the singularly best withering sweary prose I've ever heard right into Butchers face.
Owers was limited but gave everything.
Butcher is a complete kernt.

Correct on both counts :lol:

Looked a right prospect when he broke into the first team as a 17 year old but didn't really get any better. Good, honest grafter though.

He did have a funny running style. I was down the side in the paddock of their main stand - such as it was. I think we only got about 800 tickets and that cage just seemed to be plonked in the middle of the away end with loads of wasted room around it iirc.

Correct on both counts :lol:

800 is correct. It was well weird and it wasn't even in the middle!

Only about 2,700 there.

800 is correct. It was well weird and it wasn't even in the middle!

Only about 2,700 there.

Aye. The cage was a sign of the times. You can only think they expected a full scale riot from every away support.

They got rid of the cage and opened the whole terrace in later years. I went to a pre season there before it closed and we had a decent following down. It was the time the Battle of Britain memorial flight flew over which drew the appropriate reaction from everyone there. :lol:

I dont remember anything that stands out from him, he never stopped running and when he did get the ball to feet it was head down and run, always thought he was popular back in the day, and he's was great craic when we were down forest green pre season under mic mac, he was their manager at the time, got my mates programme signed by both squads

Heard at Roker: "Hew Owers! Yer on your arse more often than your lass!"

I remember him getting sent off at Tranmere for running down the wing. My dad had to stop a very drunken me from getting on the pitch to get at the ref.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back