Football Manager 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just started a new game with Hearts, to see if I can overturn the 15 point deduction. My aim is to at least finish in the relegation play-off spot, as I think by then most of my team will have been sold from beneath me due to the administrators.

Lots of teams buzzing around my players, and have already lost two players to Premier League sides (although Spurs did loan their signing back to me), with another couple having gone to SPL side for bargain prices & I've only played two league games.

Leaving my squad very thread bare. With only around 19 players in the first team, no reserves and about 15 U-19's of which three are right backs. 1 have only the one left back in the squad so I'm currently re-training a right back to play there at a comfortable level. Thankfully most of the U-19's are of a decent enough standard to bring off the bench with about 20 minutes to go.

Pre-season went well enough - losing only once, 1-0 to Raith, in a game where I was trying out 5-3-2 opposed to my usual 4-4-2. Still the 5-3-2 then saw me thrash Bologna 4-0 in my next pre-season fixture.

The SPL season started away to St. Johnstone. Things started brightly and we took the lead from a corner; Danny Wilson thumping home a header, before they equalised minutes later. 1-1 at HT and we're the better side - so obviously we go on to lose 4-1 with Wilson scoring 2 own goals in 5 minutes!

Second game, and our first home game if the season, was Hibs. We tore into them from the off going 2-0 up early on. They pulled one back just after HT before we re-gained the two goal advantage at 3-1. A late consolation made it 3-2 but we had more chances than them after that.

My only worry thus far is all my goals have come from corners; which I know won't last. So need to find a way to score from open play.

After 2 games we've got a -12 points, and I think I'll easily get past 0 points but with only 11 teams to catch I'm not so sure of survival. We'll see...

My main man up top has turned into an absolute wreck and can't even hit the target anymore. I don't understand it.

Doing an experiment to see if FM has Sunderland to ever achieve anything:
Season 1 - 2013/2014
League Finish: 17th
Manager(s): Gus Poyet
Owner: Ellis Short
Top Scorer: Fabio Borini, 18
Player of the Season: John O'Shea, 7.22

Logon or register to see this image

Other interesting things that happened:
  • FA Cup winners: Blackburn (beat the Mags in the Final)
  • CoC Winners: Fulham
  • Huddersfield were promoted to the Prem and Brighton finished last in the Championship
  • Stuttgart won the Bundesliga and Werder Bremen were relegated
  • Vitesse won the Eredivisie
  • Dundee United won the SPL :eek:
  • Man Utd (led by Laudrup) won the Champions League

Season 2 - 2014/2015
League Finish: 20th (Relegated)
Manager(s): Gus Poyet (Sacked December), Morten Wieghorst (Swansea Assistant Manager)
Owner: Ellis Short (Finances:Insecure)
Top Scorer: Ignacio Scocco, 11
Player of the Season: David Vaughan, 7.01

Some great transfer business:

• Carlisle are in the Championship
  • England won the World Cup
Quicker than I expected Sunderland to go down, will they make an immediate return?

Last edited:
My main man up top has turned into an absolute wreck and can't even hit the target anymore. I don't understand it.
Problem solved. Signed Mitrovic as the club record transfer and see him win POTM in his first month.

Doing an experiment to see if FM has Sunderland to ever achieve anything:

Quicker than I expected Sunderland to go down, will they make an immediate return?

I can't take screenshots on my laptop for some reason, but as I've played 20 odd seasons with AFC Telford -

Sunderland relegated from PL - 2015
Ellis Short leaves the club - 2019
Sunderland relegated from Championship - 2024
SOL west stand closed due to upkeep costs - 2026
Sunderland relegated from league 1 - 2027
Sunderland relegated from league 2 - 2029
Promoted from Skrill Premier - 2031
Promoted from league 2 - 2032

Currently 2034 - predicted 21st in League 1

On mine.
Malky Mackay saved us first season.
Second season we finished around tenth.
Third he left for Liverpool and Gary Bowyer just kept us up.
This season we're struggling around the bottom.

I'm in 2028 and Sunderland got relegated in the first season and have only spent one season back in the premier league where they got 15 points with Steve Bruce in charge! I aim to take over them eventually and lead them to some success!

Sunderland relegated from PL - 2015
Ellis Short leaves the club - 2019
Sunderland relegated from Championship - 2024
SOL west stand closed due to upkeep costs - 2026
Sunderland relegated from league 1 - 2027
Sunderland relegated from league 2 - 2029
Promoted from Skrill Premier - 2031
Promoted from league 2 - 2032

Currently 2034 - predicted 21st in League 1
Crikey, in some of my games in past FMs the likes of Southend, Oxford and Bournemouth have been challenging near the top in the 2030s, but don't think I've ever seen Sunderland up there.

Season 3 - 2015/2016
League Finish: 6th (Lost in Playoff Final)
Manager(s): Morten Wieghorst
Owner: Ellis Short (Finances:Insecure)
Top Scorer: David Moberg-Karlsson, 17
Player of the Season: Valentin Roberge, 7.27

Imagine the meltdown of these signings and Fletcher off to Lens

• Scocco is now favoured personnel with Sunderland
  • QPR in League 1 with the likes of Julio Cesar, Yossi Benayoun, Stephane M'Bia, Matt Phillips, Junior Hoilett, Loic Remy, Adel Taarabt and Esteban Granero
  • Cyprus and Armenia qualifying for the Euros

Season 3 - 2015/2016
League Finish: 6th (Lost in Playoff Final)

Keep us updated, Im interested to see how they turn out in another alternate reality, hopefully alot better than my game, which has literally this second thrown up the news article

'Sunderland set new attendance low' - 3,509 against Mansfield in the Johnstons paint trophy, 2034 :lol:

Season 4 - 2016/2017
League Finish: 6th (Lost in Playoff Final, again)
Manager(s): Morten Wieghorst (Sacked October 2016), Ged McNamee
Owner: Ellis Short (Finances:Okay)
Top Scorer: David Davies, 17
Player of the Season: David Davies, 7.14

Johnson still unnatached, Mavrias at Plymouth, Diakite at Doncaster and Lee Cattermole has retired - gets grimmer and grimmer this

Some other ex-lads:
Mannone at Brentford
Laing at Hearts
Egan and Mandron retired
Watmore at Inverness
Pickford at Man Utd :eek:
Bardsley unattached after a spell at Ross County
Altidore is at Rennes
Cuellar in the Spanish 4th tier
Poyet manager of Preston, who got relegated to league 2 this season
Super Kev playing for Stamford at the age of 43

Does anyone get the top 4, or top 6, in consecutive fixtures? It's happened to me two seasons in a row now and it really ruins the momentum.

This game is f***ing daft when Leon Britton is scoring 30 yarders with his 4 long shots but your players are missing three yard tap ins. What the fuck man?

93rd minute winner. Oh no, it's offside of course. Like every game.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, the first round of 11 games is up with Hearts. 6 wins and a draw sees me on 4 points; but still bottom. However, Motherwell in 11th only have 5 points & Partick Thistle in 10th have 7 points, so it's been a very bright start to the season.

The sales of 8 players brought in £1.2M in the summer window. No one was brought in, apart from Callum Paterson who was loaned back by Spurs, but we now have the capability to sign players again. Which is good news looking at the fact the average age of my squad is 19, with my current 'keeper being only 16 after the sales of the first 3 choices. Sill got a hold of Danny Wilson who is my star player and captain.

Fixtures wise, I was knocked out of the League Cup away at Rangers in the 2nd round, and have lost to Celtic; Inverness & St Mirren since the opening day defeat at St. Johnstone. The best win was probably 2-1 away to Motherwell, to both bring me into positive points and to only a point within their total at the time. Not a massively impressive result, but very important.

I'd like to say that safety seems like it could be very achieveable but having looked at Karl's fortunes on the game it would appear that it's only a matter of time before the game fucks me over!

My star player got greedy and wanted his wages doubled after only one season at the club. Man Utd paid his £25.5m release clause so I've brought in Quintero at £11m to replace him. Quite disappointed that he didn't want to show more loyalty and accept a smaller increase. I can only offer 73k max.

My star player got greedy and wanted his wages doubled after only one season at the club. Man Utd paid his £25.5m release clause so I've brought in Quintero at £11m to replace him. Quite disappointed that he didn't want to show more loyalty and accept a smaller increase. I can only offer 73k max.

The lesson is, never ever ever give minimum fee release clauses in contracts.

Looks like im going to miss out on a 5th straight title to man city, who've come from about 10th last season to storm the league. Hoping I can scrape my first champions league win to make up for it instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back