EU Elections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another solid turnout from the electorate I see. Fucks sake, why bother allowing a vote? 30 odd% are arsed to go and have a vote.

good things to come from this:

-hopefully wakes up the big 2 to just how people are feeling. I must admit I considered a protest vote but didn't in the end.
-Europe as a super-state can't work. little pockets of anti-current EU are forming and growing. Europe needs an overhaul. What the fuck have the UKL/France got in common with nations like Romania...

bad things:

- rise of extremist parties with no substance
- the above gain momentum

overall I'm pleased at the result, hopefully it gives van Rompuy a bucket of cold water to the face. now if people like UKIP actually go and do something in the European parliament other than go and draw a f***ing fine living, then it'll have been worth it.

as for UKIP in the GE, please, please god no.

The main problem with a protest vote is that you can't really use it in a First Past The Post system (yes, I know the Euros are not FPTP).

Perfect example here is St Chads. All the 'kippers here were wanting to send a message to the council and make a protest vote. All it did is split the vote and handed the ward to Labour from the Tories.

The main achievement of UKIP as far as general elections goes, will be years of hung parliaments and dodgy coalitions. And now we have fixed term parliaments so coalitions can't collapse.

Am allowed to say I'll be voting UKIP?
Or should I tell people Labour? Or just not say anything do you think?

Are you a bit paranoid?

The main problem with a protest vote is that you can't really use it in a First Past The Post system (yes, I know the Euros are not FPTP).

Perfect example here is St Chads. All the 'kippers here were wanting to send a message to the council and make a protest vote. All it did is split the vote and handed the ward to Labour from the Tories.

The main achievement of UKIP as far as general elections goes, will be years of hung parliaments and dodgy coalitions. And now we have fixed term parliaments so coalitions can't collapse.

Are you a bit paranoid?
I wasn't until you said that.
Why? Has someone said something?

So what comes next for UKIP? Apart from the fact that, despite this being an excellent result for them, they're in no position to dismantle the EU, what will they try to achieve on a positive note?

Classic lefty, thinks he's above the hoi polloi.The British people who have voted for this are beneath you eh.
As you know, i'm a pro-european lefty but you're right: people's votes have to count for something. Even if they are a protest, why should that be dismissed?

Europe needs a mandate and the only way to get that is to allow the general public to get this hostility out of their systems and make a genuine case to them. If they dont fell heard, they wont give the slightest fuck what any politician has to say. I suspect this is why the turnout is so low, which should be the main concern of every party of any colour.

SR5 1SU said:
If they can do it in Scotland they can do it for the rest of us.
That is hilarious mind. Dimbleby asked Pickles why it was ok for Scotland but not the rest of us.

Answer came there none!

Last edited:
I still don't think all these Party sound bite clowns this morning get it.
It's pretty simple really, people are concerned about mass immigration and they want to control their own borders and make most of their own
Laws.
A Majority of people are not extreme or anti European or rascist.

Norway are one of the richest countries in the world. Everyone is really well off,
Mainly due to them nationalising most things. We abide by the EU's capitalist's wet dream, which is sending our country to the dogs
In fairness that has nothing to do with the eu and everything to do with thatcherism

I'm worse off than I was ten years ago, and there are less British people working now because of immigrants working for a pittance, and there are entire cities being destroyed by immigrants who have no interest in anything other than taking. The majority who work are taking out more in tax credits than they pay in tax. We're stuck with them now anyway as their children are being born here.
I fail to see how leaving the EU will be worse than the road we are heading down. I'd rather pay an extra few pence in the pound if it means getting our country back.
All the fault of immigrants?

Or not realise?

But, trading with our traditional trading partners and of course the developing world could bring prices down!
Once you shop around in an open market you go for the cheapest - this might even benefit this country big style.

Do the people who want to leave the EU understand the kind of price increases it will lead to in this country?

Maybe compare it to Norway, who are not part of the EU, to todays prices.... http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Norway&country2=United Kingdom&displayCurrency=GBP

but the prices are comparable to average wages, so that would suggest it's not to do with the strength of their currency against ours, rather than being in or out of the Europe. What's prices & wages like here compared to Romania or Bulgaria?

As you know, i'm a pro-european lefty but you're right: people's votes have to count for something. Even if they are a protest, why should that be dismissed?

Europe needs a mandate and the only way to get that is to allow the general public to get this hostility out of their systems and make a genuine case to them. If they dont fell heard, they wont give the slightest fuck what any politician has to say. I suspect this is why the turnout is so low, which should be the main concern of every party of any colour.

That is hilarious mind. Dimbleby asked Pickles why it was ok for Scotland but not the rest of us.

Answer came there none!
could it be that the people of Europe were never asked if they wanted to be part of a united states of Europe perhaps?

The last say that the public had in Europe was forty years ago.
Now the British have got a voice.
In France the National Front won the lot too.
Something is wrong and needs fixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back