EU Elections

Status
Not open for further replies.
This I agree with. I just also think the people voting UKIP are blinded by what they want in country, without looking at the facts behind it (like when BNP got voted into Europe 5 year ago)

Correct - especially as we also have our own currency, so nothing much should change. The issue might come with traveling to these countries for work etc. As much as people come to UK to work, people from UK also go into Europe for work.
They say that, but I don't know how many leave for unskilled jobs they wouldn't have likely got work permits for anyway. This is anecdotal, maybe someone has better stats, but I reckon a large proportion of those who migrate to the EU do so to retire and similar (temp work, holidays etc) rather than for purely economic reasons and better opportunists. Maybe I'm wrong.

They always say that big business, who have their own agenda will leave, largely due to higher transfer payments etc. I still don't see it myself. I'm less concerned with migration personally, I'm more interested in retaining power. The EU is a dated concept, brought out of the second world war and developed in to something else due to self-interest in Continental Europe. I'd far rather, as I've said for nearly 20 years now, we formed new alliances and trade agreements with countries were are more economically in cycle with and those which are developing economies. Our hands are tied in so many ways to do this while we are bound to the EU.

Of course they are, because the vast majority of the public don't understand the EU, and are dictated to by populist politicians and the media.

Most would be voting in the referendum without a decent base of knowledge on what they were actually voting for.

It'd be absolutely mental to have a referendum within the next 2 years.

If they can do it in Scotland they can do it for the rest of us.

Imagine if aother party took the money from winning an election but didn't turn up to work? Ukip voters seriously dont get this irony
They are against the undemocratic system, and refuse to take part in it, and the UKIP supporters agree. You think that they should vote for another party that supports this system, and is happy to take this money, and support the high wages of meps?

Sounds like you're lost in you're own irony marra

Do the people who want to leave the EU understand the kind of price increases it will lead to in this country?

Maybe compare it to Norway, who are not part of the EU, to todays prices.... http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Norway&country2=United Kingdom&displayCurrency=GBP

Norway are one of the richest countries in the world. Everyone is really well off, great pension, services etc etc.
Mainly due to them nationalising most things. We abide by the EU's capitalist's wet dream, which is sending our country to the dogs

Last edited:
UKIP wins euro elections with ease to set off political earthquake - the guardian.

Talk about a kick in the bollocks to all the muppets who vilified us.

The mainstream politicians ignored public feelin too long, this was always going to happen. It about time politics had a kick up the arse before it's too late.

I'm worse off than I was ten years ago, and there are less British people working now because of immigrants working for a pittance, and there are entire cities being destroyed by immigrants who have no interest in anything other than taking. The majority who work are taking out more in tax credits than they pay in tax. We're stuck with them now anyway as their children are being born here.
I fail to see how leaving the EU will be worse than the road we are heading down. I'd rather pay an extra few pence in the pound if it means getting our country back.

Has anyone considered that maybe the politicians are trying to save us from ourselves? They're the political experts and know far more about the EU than most. They are on the whole, pro EU.

What should happen if the public vote in a referendum against the EU? The biggest issue with democracy is any idiot can vote (whether that's pro or anti EU)

Has anyone considered that maybe the politicians are trying to save us from ourselves? They're the political experts and know far more about the EU than most. They are on the whole, pro EU.

What should happen if the public vote in a referendum against the EU? The biggest issue with democracy is any idiot can vote (whether that's pro or anti EU)

Yes, if only we had a benign dictatorship in the UK, or maybe go back to being ruled by the Monarchy. Good King Charles making all the decisions for us, interpreting the will of the people.

I think King William would be a good ruler, not so much King Harry. Trouble is we could end up with a Queen Fergie which would be an interesting few years.

Norway are one of the richest countries in the world. Everyone is really well off, great pension, services etc etc.
Mainly due to them nationalising most things. We abide by the EU's capitalist's wet dream, which is sending our country to the dogs
Norway is rich because of it's extensive oil reserves and a frugal fiscal policy of not spending the money straight away but keeping large amounts in reserve. It's an exception and not really an exemplar.

Yes, if only we had a benign dictatorship in the UK, or maybe go back to being ruled by the Monarchy. Good King Charles making all the decisions for us, interpreting the will of the people.

You know what I mean. I'm not advocating dictatorship. Do you really think the average bloke off the street is as informed about the pros and cons of staying in/leaving Europe than an MP?

I highly doubt the majority of people who'd vote in the referendum have a sufficiently informed idea of the economic, legal and social outcomes that would arise (for the better and worse) if Britain left the EU.

The fact that people are so easily swayed by public debates tells me all I need to know about the electorate: they're influenced by charisma and someone who can talk the talk. Look at Clegg, perfect example. He was the next big thing after those live debates, people couldn't stop going on about how good he argued against Cameron and Brown, and now his party have all but bombed out of Europe and are widely despised after some seriously poor decision making.

Leaving the EU might be great for Britain. I don't know. What worries me though is if Farage's successful TV appearances and ability to influence people carries into a 'leave' vote in the referendum, it might be curtains for the EU, based not on sound decision making, but essentially how well someone presents themselves on the tele.

Last edited:
Another solid turnout from the electorate I see. Fucks sake, why bother allowing a vote? 30 odd% are arsed to go and have a vote.

good things to come from this:

-hopefully wakes up the big 2 to just how people are feeling. I must admit I considered a protest vote but didn't in the end.
-Europe as a super-state can't work. little pockets of anti-current EU are forming and growing. Europe needs an overhaul. What the fuck have the UKL/France got in common with nations like Romania...

bad things:

- rise of extremist parties with no substance
- the above gain momentum

overall I'm pleased at the result, hopefully it gives van Rompuy a bucket of cold water to the face. now if people like UKIP actually go and do something in the European parliament other than go and draw a f***ing fine living, then it'll have been worth it.

as for UKIP in the GE, please, please god no.

So the SMB council has decided that the majority of people voting are wrong, and the minority are right?
And people who vote against the SMB's wishes should banned from voting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back