Empty seats at Man City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course I am new to all this, but my take on Man City is that they were Man United's ugly sister for a long time, then they married some rich guy and got some cosmetic work done and can now get in at all the elite night clubs... that about right?
Why are you new to this? Not taking the piss. Genuine question

If you look at the top clubs across Europe they all want to attract the tourist market with package deals. Man City haven't got the worldwide fan base like Man utd or Liverpool and thats why they'll struggle to sell out everytime

South and East Manchester are Blue. North and West are Red.

Always been that way

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_City_F.C._supporters

You can't seriously have lived in Rusholme, a few hundred yards from Maine Road and miles away from Old Trafford and not known any City fans. Unless you were a student and only mixed with southerners of course...

You don't get any significant majority Red areas when you head south until you get to all the plastic fans in Cheshire. ..

37k was the attendance for anyone intersted. Quite surprised actually as I think Man City have great support, but as people have already said I don't think we'd sell out every game if we were in it, I remember Newcastle getting around 30k for Juve at home. Only the elite sell out regardless of opposition.

Always been that way

You can't seriously have lived in Rusholme, a few hundred yards from Maine Road and miles away from Old Trafford and not known any City fans. Unless you were a student and only mixed with southerners of course...

You don't get any significant majority Red areas when you head south until you get to all the plastic fans in Cheshire. ..
Not bothered to be honest, I was basing my opinion on 15 years of living and working in Manchester. My point was that City fans are from the less well off areas so can't afford to go to every match. They haven't been successful long enough build up the support of day-trippers. It's no slur on the club or the fans, just the way modern football is priced in this country.

Always been that way

And yet here I am sat in Chorlton, South Manchester where the majority of fans are reds. Not even close. Weird.

37k was the attendance for anyone intersted. Quite surprised actually as I think Man City have great support, but as people have already said I don't think we'd sell out every game if we were in it, I remember Newcastle getting around 30k for Juve at home. Only the elite sell out regardless of opposition.

Barca and Madrid aren't included there - they fail to sell out loads of games

This from the same man city who critisised our attendance against soton in the carling cup last season?

Not bothered to be honest, I was basing my opinion on 15 years of living and working in Manchester. My point was that City fans are from the less well off areas so can't afford to go to every match. They haven't been successful long enough build up the support of day-trippers. It's no slur on the club or the fans, just the way modern football is priced in this country.

Absolute shite that mind

And yet here I am sat in Chorlton, South Manchester where the majority of fans are reds. Not even close. Weird.

I lived in Salford and Didsbury. Salford was virtually 100% red - not what you'd call a rich area either. Didsbury was very mixed. Probably more United.

Why are you new to this? Not taking the piss. Genuine question

This is only my second season following football since I just discovered the sport during the summer prior to last season... been a sports fan for many years, but living in the US, football (soccer) is not just one of the sports one follows (which is, hopefully, changing). Anyway, I was drawn to Sunderland last season and fell in love with the team and its fans - I love the heart and the spirit of what SAFC (team and fans) are all about. And I am glad I found this message board because I am not only learning a lot about the team but about the sport as well just from everyone's threads. There are a lot of very witty, smart, and funny people on here so I enjoy reading the threads and the posts a lot. Everyone has been very welcoming, too, which is amazing...

Sorry... the answer got away from me... :)

I've lived in Chorlton, Rusholme, Fallowfield, Withington and Didsbury, met hardly any city fans :lol: All of the City fans I know come from Prestwich, Whitefield, Gorton, Hyde and places around those areas. Stockport's kind of Eastish ;)

Funny how you mention United areas all being within the City of Manchester, whereas the City strongholds listed are outside of the boundaries... They love to try and use that on us.
Fact us most areas in Manchester are more red than blue. South and East traditionally have a lot of City fans but even then they're mostly outnumbered by United.

They wouldn't get so much stick about attendances if their whole existence wasn't based on this myth that Manchester is blue, every Manc supports City and Utd fans are all from London blah blah..... They just shoot themselves in the foot when games like this fail to sell out.

Funny how you mention United areas all being within the City of Manchester, whereas the City strongholds listed are outside of the boundaries... They love to try and use that on us.
Fact us most areas in Manchester are more red than blue. South and East traditionally have a lot of City fans but even then they're mostly outnumbered by United.

They wouldn't get so much stick about attendances if their whole existence wasn't based on this myth that Manchester is blue, every Manc supports City and Utd fans are all from London blah blah..... They just shoot themselves in the foot when games like this fail to sell out.
To be fair I've never heard a City fan say any of that other when they're obviously trying to wind up a United fan. Only people who actually believe that are people outside of Manchester looking for a reason to dislike Man U.

Chorlton isn't full of people from Manchester. It, like Didsbury, is full of ex students who settled in Manchester 10-30 yrs ago mostly and work in the City Centre, being accountants, lawyers, IT guys etc...

Obviously when they picked a local team to follow they picked Utd rather than the then 2nd tier City.

Move out if the plastic red enclaves and South Manchester is overwhelmingly blue..as the wiki article, and any Manc will tell you. ..

Chorlton isn't full of people from Manchester. It, like Didsbury, is full of ex students who settled in Manchester 10-30 yrs ago mostly and work in the City Centre, being accountants, lawyers, IT guys etc...

Obviously when they picked a local team to follow they picked Utd rather than the then 2nd tier City.

Move out if the plastic red enclaves and South Manchester is overwhelmingly blue..as the wiki article, and any Manc will tell you. ..

You're getting a full madone for that: :lol::lol::lol::lol:.

Never has so much utter utter tosh been written in one post. Fair play to you.

You think Didsbury and Chorlton are populated by people born in Manc (ignoring retired grannies who won't follow football)?

Compared to say Levenshulme or Stockport?

I'll raise your utter tosh and call your bollox... :)

Im the only poster who has quoted a study on who supports who where in Manc. The rest of you are just going off personal opinion. .

Not far off, 48,370.

Can't rememeber us fully selling out any Champions League games that season though.

http://www.nufc.com/html/2002-10-23juventus-h.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back