Not open for further replies.

Ian Bell (c)
Jake Ball
Scott Borthwick
Nick Browne
Rory Burns
Rikki Clarke
Ben Foakes
James Harris (County Champion match only)
Graham Onions
James Tredwell
Tom Westley
Kumar Sangakkara (Twenty20 only)

Big chance for Borthwick like, a big 100 now and his name is immediately in the news.

Don't be so sure, he is miles better than them 3 jokers
Borthwicks class and it would be typical that he'd be shoehorned in elsewhere. As someone in the selectors loves westley like always in lions tours, yet modest record.

Harsh on the other 2 like openers averaging over 4o in England should be looked at.

Last edited:
Reckon Bell will be 5. He's captain so he can bat where he wants :lol:.

Back on topic - http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/cricket/14279169.Durham_seeking_a_replacement_for_Hastings/ - David Hussey anyone??

So are you saying you'd rather we signed a bowler than a batsman as our overseas?

Probably, but it depends on the options. Hastings bowled in all 3 formats, and could bowl long spells. So I wouldn't if it was just a strike bowler we were getting.

Burnham should be starting now and I wouldn't want a overseas to take his place. I'd get a batsman if he was top quality though

I wouldn't want either of the Husseys mind, throwing money at old rope.

Burnham should be starting now and I wouldn't want a overseas to take his place. I'd get a batsman if he was top quality though.

That goes without saying though, there are one or two others who should be in the firing line before Burnham. I'd stick Burnham 4/5 all season, regardless of form.

What we need is an opener. Or a number 4 (with Burnham going 5). Someone who's going to score hundreds.

I'd be inclined to wait 6 weeks into the season before an appointment,see if the likes of Coughlin and Harrison retain fitness, with the likes of McCarthy,Main and Carse in reserve and give batsmen Clark, Burnham and Hickey an opportunity to establish themselves. Then, if necessary, look for additions. Quintin DeCock would be ideal for T20 and Dean Elger or Tom Latham for CC.

I'm inclined to lean towards getting a bowler (just).

We've already lost Hastings and Stokes (yes I know we didn't have him last year) but ... we're really dependent on a few solid bowlers plus a the rest who are either unproven or susceptible to injury.

However, it all depends on who is available.

I'm inclined to lean towards getting a bowler (just).

We've already lost Hastings and Stokes (yes I know we didn't have him last year) but ... we're really dependent on a few solid bowlers plus a the rest who are either unproven or susceptible to injury.

However, it all depends on who is available.

I don't want to insult anyone but I just understand how anyone thinks a bowler is of greater need than a batsman?! We scored the lowest batting bonus points of EVERY other county last season.

Whilst we have one of the best new ball pairs in the league, alongside a conveyor belt full of quality young seamers.

Back end of last season we were down to about five senior batsmen........

I rest my case your honour.

I don't want to insult anyone but I just understand how anyone thinks a bowler is of greater need than a batsman?! We scored the lowest batting bonus points of EVERY other county last season.

Whilst we have one of the best new ball pairs in the league, alongside a conveyor belt full of quality young seamers.

Back end of last season we were down to about five senior batsmen........

I rest my case your honour.
Neatly swerved away from 'doing a Johnson' there I see. ;)

I agree we have problems in our batting line up. Stoneman, Jennings, Borthwick, Burnham, Collingwood, Pringle, Richardson, Mustard, Muchall with MacLeod, Graham Clark and Poynter ... and Hickey. We've got the personnel numbers wise but trouble can't be far away if one or two of the main men rediscover a bad streak of form.

The good thing is that batsmen rarely get injured, at least not compared to bowlers and for me that was the deciding factor .. at any point our top bowlers could pick up an injury.

Our bowling resources are Onions, Rushworth, Collingwood, Arshad, Wood (for the start of the season), Coughlin, Harrison, McCarthy, Weighall, Main, Chase

Of these I'd put Onions and Rushworth down as our main men (I'm not including Wood because of England commitments). Collingwood has been great but he's not supposed to bowl that much in 4 day cricket and last season did more than he wanted to (he has a dicky knee I understand).

Arshad looks a real prospect and maybe this is his year to step up.

Coughlin as we've heard may not bowl in 4 day cricket this season because of a stress fractures.

Harrison has dodgy knees.

McCarthy has only played a few games but has impressed.

Weighall, came in last season and didn't impress at all.

Main, has hardly played first team cricket.

Chase did well in the season before last but then disappeared so I don't know whether we'll see him or not.

At the end of that I reckon there are only 3 bowlers we can depend on plus Collingwood for a few over here and there. - Not enough and if Onions or Rushworth pick up and injury ..!*#!!

Perhaps the groundman should start preparing dust bowls so Borthwick and Pringle can bowl more overs.

How did I avoid a johnson?

Batsmen don't get injured as much no, nor do they score runs :eek:.

That all just reads like you completely undermining your own argument to me - TEN seamers you listed there. If that isn't enough then we must have experienced the worst injury epidemic in the history of county cricket.

Of the batsmen you mentioned - only Stoneman, Borthwick and Collingwood are definite picks IMO. Burnham should be given the privilege of a place for the whole season, regardless of fortunes, as for the rest - who opens? Not a clue. Jennings, MacLeod, Mustard and Clark couldn't be trusted to make any runs last year.

Poynter and Hickey are untried.

If you had unlimited funds, you'd be looking to sign 3/4 batsmen. That's how far away we are from respectability in my honest view.

Stoneman
?
Borthwick
?
?
Collingwood
?
Pringle
Wood
Rushworth
Onions

None of the others set the world alight.

Last edited:
How did I avoid a johnson?

Batsmen don't get injured as much no, nor do they score runs :eek:.

That all just reads like you completely undermining your own argument to me - TEN seamers you listed there. If that isn't enough then we must have experienced the worst injury epidemic in the history of county cricket.
You avoided criticising the poster rather than the opinion.

10 seamers yup, I also listed 13 batsmen and of the batsmen we know 7 of them can hold a bat at first team level because they've scored well in the past (scored at least one century) and Pringle only missed out getting a ton due to two umpiring howlers. And then there's Burnham who we believe can do well.

Soooo on that basis our batting resources are stronger than our bowling.

tbh I'm glad I'm not Jon Lewis & co who will have to make a decision.

Would any of them really get in any other first division team? Seriously doubt it. Again, Burnham should be 4/5 all season but even he is a gamble. One which is worth the risk for sure, but none of the others would get a game in my team if given the chance to invest.

10 seamers yup, I also listed 13 batsmen and of the batsmen we know 7 of them can hold a bat at first team level because they've scored well in the past (scored at least one century) and Pringle only missed out getting a ton due to two umpiring howlers. And then there's Burnham who we believe can do well.

Soooo on that basis our batting resources are stronger than our bowling.

tbh I'm glad I'm not Jon Lewis & co who will have to make a decision.

Mate, come on, do you even understand how picking a team works? I'm having difficulty now not having a go. 13-10 is very bowler heavy. Bearing in mind, we'll pick four seamers per game but seven batsmen. Atleast. Some games last year we had a batsman at 8 just to try and bolster the ranks man.

Some teams get away with 3 seamers. Which team in world cricket goes into a game with any fewer than 6 batsmen?!

Plus I'm now intrigued, which 7 batsmen can hold a bat because they've scored well in the past?

Last edited:
Would any of them really get in any other first division team? Seriously doubt it. Again, Burnham should be 4/5 all season but even he is a gamble. One which is worth the risk for sure, but none of the others would get a game in my team if given the chance to invest.

Mate, come on, do you even understand how picking a team works? I'm having difficulty now not having a go. 13-10 is very bowler heavy. Bearing in mind, we'll pick four seamers per game but seven batsmen. Atleast. Some games last year we had a batsman at 8 just to try and bolster the ranks man.

Some teams get away with 3 seamers. Which team in world cricket goes into a game with any fewer than 6 batsmen?!

Plus I'm now intrigued, which 7 batsmen can hold a bat because they've scored well in the past?
Jennings (yes he's had a bad period last year and the year before)
Richardson (he didn't do too bad last year)
Mustard (yes in a bad run of form)
Muchall (won a match for us last year)

yes, I'd rather have better.

Of your bowlers in the partial team we can't depend on Wood because after the first few games he'll be away with England. So really we've only got Onions and Rushworth who we can call dependable and then Arshad. But then the rest are as in at least as bad shape as the batsmen.

Would you like bowler no 3 and 4 be Weighall and Main? Coughlin and McCarthy may be good but Coughlin has his injury and McCarthy is so inexperienced he may not do as well.

I'm not being insistent and saying and saying the overseas pro has to be a bowler, just the choice isn't cut and dried in my opinion.

We don't really have enough good bowlers though

We have Rushy and Onions, Coughlin won't play much, neither will Wood

So you think we should just go into the season with Arshad and a load of unproven youngsters?

So you think we should just go into the season with Arshad and a load of unproven youngsters?

We'll be starting the season with one of the best bowling attacks in county cricket but one of the worst batting lineups.

Go figure.

What's the area which most needs improving? I don't even care about upsetting people anymore - if there's anyone out there that feels our greater need is a seam bowler over a batsman then you're a f***ing idiot.

So fuck off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back