Durhams overseas pro 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be wide of the mark but listening to and reading the interview lewis gave to the local media I get the feeling there is a real chance Durham may start the season without a replacement for Hastings and see if they can get away with it. It looks like Wood is going to be fit for the start of the season and if Durham could get 3 or 4 matches out of him in the first 5 weeks of the season before he breaks down or is rested by England that really only leaves the 4th seamers position open with Onions and Rushy opening. Durham have plenty of options for that 4th seamers slot who can also bat at no 8/9 in the order. I can imagine them trying to save money rather than gamble on an overseas and see where they are at the end of May. A bit like what they did the season they signed Hastings.

Could be.

It sounds like Radebe is a distinct possibility but it also sounds that if he is there will be restrictions on how much Durham uses him, so he won't be able to take on the workload that Hastings did, which was a lot.

Might be wide of the mark but listening to and reading the interview lewis gave to the local media I get the feeling there is a real chance Durham may start the season without a replacement for Hastings and see if they can get away with it. It looks like Wood is going to be fit for the start of the season and if Durham could get 3 or 4 matches out of him in the first 5 weeks of the season before he breaks down or is rested by England that really only leaves the 4th seamers position open with Onions and Rushy opening. Durham have plenty of options for that 4th seamers slot who can also bat at no 8/9 in the order. I can imagine them trying to save money rather than gamble on an overseas and see where they are at the end of May. A bit like what they did the season they signed Hastings.

Might be right, but surely could get a batsman in, there are people available who could come for a while

I'd love Darren Bravo at 4!

coggers can certainly fill that role

He can, he was coming along nicely before he got injured. Arshad and maybe Chase too if he's still around. It sounds like Harrison has a chronic injury that will always make him a doubt

In the end it all depends on taking a punt on injuries that occur during the season.

If Coughlin is fit he has to play. Also got Arshad, Weighill Main and Carse who can do a job as that 4th seamer. The problem is if any of the main 3 seamers are not available then the youngsters have to step up and perhaps become strike bowlers.

Might be right, but surely could get a batsman in, there are people available who could come for a while

I'd love Darren Bravo at 4!
The problem with Durhams batting is to many players want to bat at no6 in the order, that slot should be given to Burnham. If they don't sign a batsmen then Muchall or Collingwood have to stand up and bat at no4, or they give Jennings a break from opening and bat him at no4.

Last edited:
The problem with Durhams batting is to many players want to bat at no6 in the order, that slot should be given to Burnham. If they don't sign a batsmen then Muchall or Collingwood have to stand up and bat at no4, or they give Jennings a break from opening and bat him at no4.

i honestly think jennings would do well batting down the order but don't see who opens with rocky unless we bring someone in for that job

i honestly think jennings would do well batting down the order but don't see who opens with rocky unless we bring someone in for that job
I agree and how many times can you open with Jennings then have to take him out of the firing line because his confidence is shot. I hope they don't try the same with Burnham.

I agree and how many times can you open with Jennings then have to take him out of the firing line because his confidence is shot. I hope they don't try the same with Burnham.

hard because burnham isn't a natural opener afaik but i'm not sure there is room in the team for jennings and burnham unless one of them opens.

in a rough order rocky, jennings, borthwick, collingwood, burnham, pringle, richardson looks like the top 7 but only 1 opener and nobody i want at 4, other than maybe jennings. could collingwood open? i doubt it would be a success tbh.

Were Dean Elgar or Tom Latham picked for IPL?

Would love to see either one opening with Rocky this season.

What's more, offer ether one a full season contract. It's highly likely Hastings will miss the full season so let's get a batsman in for the duration.

Last edited:
hard because burnham isn't a natural opener afaik but i'm not sure there is room in the team for jennings and burnham unless one of them opens.

in a rough order rocky, jennings, borthwick, collingwood, burnham, pringle, richardson looks like the top 7 but only 1 opener and nobody i want at 4, other than maybe jennings. could collingwood open? i doubt it would be a success tbh.
Collingwood and Muchall struggle to score runs batting any higher than no6 in the order.

Collingwood and Muchall struggle to score runs batting any higher than no6 in the order.

as i said that list has nobody i would want at 4. collingwood, burnham, pringle are all players i'd bat at 6.

maybe stoneman, jennings, borthwick, burnham, pringle, collingwood, richardson, coughlin, wood, rushworth, onions :?:

just hope jennings can open and burnham & pringle are ready for batting 4 and 5. decent attack and a case of fingers crossed for runs. unless we can sign up an opener

Colly should bat at 7 for me, good with the tail

Burnham at 4, Mustard to open

I change my mind daily when making my selection, I was all for leaving Jennings out initially but I wouldn't want to ruin Burnham by opening with him. Plus I think Jennings will be determined to prove a point after being dropped last season. It should be last chance saloon stuff for him. If I had to pick now, for the Somerset game:

Stoneman
Jennings
Borthwick
Burnham
Collingwood
Richardson
Pringle
Coughlin
Wood
Rushworth
Onions

I change my mind daily when making my selection, I was all for leaving Jennings out initially but I wouldn't want to ruin Burnham by opening with him. Plus I think Jennings will be determined to prove a point after being dropped last season. It should be last chance saloon stuff for him. If I had to pick now, for the Somerset game:

Stoneman
Jennings
Borthwick
Burnham
Collingwood
Richardson
Pringle
Coughlin
Wood
Rushworth
Onions
I think that's pretty much spot on. Jennings did well in the championship season but lost form in the end of 2014 and last year he did ok for a while hitting 3 50's but again lost form and then lost confidence, hopefully he can find his way back.

I wonder if anyone at the club is thinking about promoting Borthwick to open?

I think that's pretty much spot on. Jennings did well in the championship season but lost form in the end of 2014 and last year he did ok for a while hitting 3 50's but again lost form and then lost confidence, hopefully he can find his way back.

I don't think it'd be the worst idea I've ever heard, but he's been our best batsman by far since moving to 3 and I feel you should always play your best players in their best positions. Which goes for football aswell as cricket :lol:.

Folk could argue he's practically an opener anyway with our fragility, but that could in effect either strengthen or undermine the argument for him moving to open - depending what your individual view on the subject is.

In an ideal world we get someone like Elgar or Latham in and have two very good openers and the best number 3 in county cricket. :cool:

Reactions: Bri
If we could get them yea. I was impressed with Elgar as many people were I suppose.

btw Borthwick got a 22 in his latest match in NZ

then we'd just be stuck wondering who to play at 3 so hopefully not

If I had to pick now, for the Somerset game:
Stoneman
Jennings
Borthwick
Burnham
Collingwood
Richardson
Pringle
Coughlin
Wood
Rushworth
Onions

how brandy you've just nicked the team i posted but pushed pringle down a few. get yer own team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back