Do you believe in God?

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't think I believe in God, but I certainly believe in the principles of his teaching. Funny thing though, when your life is in danger you suddenly start to pray to him to help you out a bit
If there's owt else you can usefully do that might help your situation, then you'd be a damn fool just to sit there and pray.

Agreed?

If there's owt else you can usefully do that might help your situation, then you'd be a damn fool just to sit there and pray.

Agreed?
let me assure you it takes just a few milliseconds to fly through your mind and boomf you get back on with the job. Got to agree it would be kinda silly to go down on your knees, clasp your hands together etc

let me assure you it takes just a few milliseconds to fly through your mind and boomf you get back on with the job. Got to agree it would be kinda silly to go down on your knees, clasp your hands together etc
Of course it does pet and - of course - that is what you were refering to with your "funny thing though, when your life is in danger you suddenly start to pray to him to help you out a bit" wasn't it. :rolleyes:

Agreed?
When I was younger and didn't know shit I probably did that but these days im wiser so believe in myself getting me out the situation

Bloody hell I'm retired and have never been in a life threatening situation where I thought I was about to die.

Some of you have lived dangerous lives so far by the sound of it with many a brush with death.

I can understand that with soapster because of his job but the rest.....

But we're all in the same boat really. When that last breath goes in we would all gladly give anything in the world for just one more.

This breath is so precious yet so taken for granted.

Last edited:
Bloody hell I'm retired and have never been in a life threatening situation where I thought I was about to die.

Some of you have lived dangerous lives so far by the sound of it with many a brush with death.

I can understand that with soapster because of his job but the rest.....

But we're all in the same boat really. When that last breath goes in we would all gladly give anything in the world for just one more.

This breath is so precious yet so taken for granted.

to be honest that is why I hate seeing people so aggressive to each or to another for no good cause. to many people have died in a moment of madness that just does affect the dead, but the magic ripple effect. That includes to attacker and the effect it has on their family.

to be honest that is why I hate seeing people so aggressive to each or to another for no good cause. to many people have died in a moment of madness that just does affect the dead, but the magic ripple effect. That includes to attacker and the effect it has on their family.
Indeed, there was a program on channel 4 last week about cases where one punch killed somebody and ruined the lives of others, basically over nothing.

In my personal experience, I was once out on an isolated part of the north downs way on my own when a savage alsation first nipped my leg and then stood just aggressively barking at me. The owner was nowhere to be seen for what seemed like several minutes and I genuinely thought the brute might attack me and I could bleed to death. I can confirm the last thing on my mind was praying.

I personally do not believe in the theist kind of God who designed and created the universe. The God who since then has played an active role in monitoring the world and acts externally in contradiction to the laws of nature. I don't believe in the nihilistic void of physicalists but share their atheistic perspective in not believing about a supreme personalised deity who appears to have a mind like that produced by the human organic brain. This all seems like a God in man's image.

That still leaves several other definitions of what is called God but would more accurately be described as the Supreme and what is meant by Man in God's image. Light. love and consciousness? Timeless rather than eternal. Perceived as internal rather than external but in reality neither. We certainly have consciousness but when the mind is silenced, the heart opens and we feel unconditional love. So there some cognitive steps in the process of opening up to the heart. The first is to have the cognitive experience of that internal truth. Not an intellectual concept in the mind but an actual cognitive experience. The second step to have that cognitive experience and recognition of that internal truth in others. Again not an intellectual concept but actual experience. The third step is the cognitive experience that the internal truth inside is the same as the internal truth in others and that any separation is an illusion of the mind.

I wouldn't call this God but it is a living cognitive experience from which love and compassion emerge. It is the source of our humanity within.

I haven't got a clue whether this experience survives death but if anything does, I believe it is that, although I wouldn't call it a Soul except as a figure of speech.

I suppose you could say it was the Living God but that would also only be a figure of speech.

But make no mistake, it is real.

Last edited:
I personally do not believe in the theist kind of God who designed and created the universe. The God who since then has played an active role in monitoring the world and acts externally in contradiction to the laws of nature. I don't believe in the nihilistic void of physicalists but share their atheistic perspective in not believing about a supreme personalised deity who appears to have a mind like that produced by the human organic brain. This all seems like a God in man's image.

That still leaves several other definitions of what is called God but would more accurately be described as the Supreme and what is meant by Man in God's image. Light. love and consciousness? Timeless rather than eternal. Perceived as internal rather than external but in reality neither. We certainly have consciousness but when the mind is silenced, the heart opens and we feel unconditional love. So there some cognitive steps in the process of opening up to the heart. The first is to have the cognitive experience of that internal truth. Not an intellectual concept in the mind but an actual cognitive experience. The second step to have that cognitive experience and recognition of that internal truth in others. Again not an intellectual concept but actual experience. The third step is the cognitive experience that the internal truth inside is the same as the internal truth in others and that any separation is an illusion of the mind.

I wouldn't call this God but it is a living cognitive experience from which love and compassion emerge. It is the source of our humanity within.

I haven't got a clue whether this experience survives death but if anything does, I believe it is that, although I wouldn't call it a Soul except as a figure of speech.

I suppose you could say it was the Living God but that would also only be a figure of speech.

But make no mistake, it is real.
Yep, I think it's all bollocks too. If that is indeed what you said.

I don't believe!
Neither does Rodwell oh well at least we still have fishing rods, I caught some crab sticks today was special because Sunderland play in red & white too

Indeed, there was a program on channel 4 last week about cases where one punch killed somebody and ruined the lives of others, basically over nothing.

In my personal experience, I was once out on an isolated part of the north downs way on my own when a savage alsation first nipped my leg and then stood just aggressively barking at me. The owner was nowhere to be seen for what seemed like several minutes and I genuinely thought the brute might attack me and I could bleed to death. I can confirm the last thing on my mind was praying.
Wasn't there a lad on here that karate chopped a gull in half? He could set up self defence lessons to tackle aggressive animals. A kidney-drop to the rear of the canine's rib cage may well have dropped it if you'd been thoroughly trained by said poster.

Best not to get attached to such searching as it can only bring suffering .

Those that want a God can never have him so can only feel the pain of separation or the false notion of judgement , those that wish not to have a God can only feel the pain of the struggle to be free.

The very subject causes selfing to arise , As we try to create a self object from the delusion of the skandhas: form, perception , sensation, mental formation or consciousness.

We try to give God form
We try to imagine sensation of him seeing, hearing
We believe we can discern what he may be like as opposed to other things
We believe we have an emotional/volitional connection. To love or reject
We believe he is referent to our intelligence .

None of this can be productive and the process ends in further reinforcing our own existence not proving or disproving Gods . In the abandonment of the above in death we find liberation , or "God"

Some good stuff in his books though ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back