Darren Fletcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear that, but glad that you've found some good tablets.

What I meant was that some people (not those with ulcerative colitis) can avoid the bowel wall inflammation by not eating the things that trigger their immune system into attacking it (eg. gluten). I wondered to what extent that was true more generally. Not trying to suggest that these problems are initially caused by diet, I'm aware they're not (well, usually not).

I'd guess that stress is one of the causes of your flare ups?

It must be all of Sunderland losses that bring on the stress!!!;)

Sorry to hear that, but glad that you've found some good tablets.

What I meant was that some people (not those with ulcerative colitis) can avoid the bowel wall inflammation by not eating the things that trigger their immune system into attacking it (eg. gluten). I wondered to what extent that was true more generally. Not trying to suggest that these problems are initially caused by diet, I'm aware they're not (well, usually not).

I'd guess that stress is one of the causes of your flare ups?

It was pointed out to me last night that I may have been harsh in my reply to you and for that I'm sorry. My gastroenterologist is very dismissive of suggestions that food affects UC in any way and I mostly believe him. I find I'm better when I eat natural stuff (fruit, veg, rice, yoghurt, fish and meat) but I think that would be true of anyone at any level of health.

Stress is the cause of mine. As soon as I get upset or stressed I get pain in my stomach and nerves send me straight to the loo. I have no idea why.

It was pointed out to me last night that I may have been harsh in my reply to you and for that I'm sorry. My gastroenterologist is very dismissive of suggestions that food affects UC in any way and I mostly believe him. I find I'm better when I eat natural stuff (fruit, veg, rice, yoghurt, fish and meat) but I think that would be true of anyone at any level of health.

Stress is the cause of mine. As soon as I get upset or stressed I get pain in my stomach and nerves send me straight to the loo. I have no idea why.

It's the bodies natural reaction to stress. It gets rid of excess weight ready for flight or fight.

It's the bodies natural reaction to stress. It gets rid of excess weight ready for flight or fight.

Is that all it is? Well, I never. Thank you. I suppose one way of preparing for a fight is locking yourself in the toilet. It seems the most sensible approach.

Is that all it is? Well, I never. Thank you. I suppose one way of preparing for a fight is locking yourself in the toilet. It seems the most sensible approach.

It is a bit more complicated than that but basicaly under extreme stress the body shuts down normal functions i.e. digestion to support intense muscular effort as in fighting or fleeing.

It's amazing what stress can do. There's virtually no part of you that it can't bugger up if it's intense and/or prolonged enough, directly or indirectly.

It's a fight or flight response. I keep getting ducks landing in my pool. I have two options - leave them alone (in which case they'll eventually drop shit into it), or chase them (in which case they'll immediately drop shit into it as they flee). Same thing going on. I think the "arse dropped" expression comes from that phenomenon.

Did you know that UC becomes more common the more north you go? Even within an individual country (so it's not a cultural thing). Makes me wonder if there's some vitamin D link there, especially since it's known to have protective effects against other bowel and autoimmune conditions (eg. colon cancer and MS).

Did your gastro suggest taking supplemental vit D?

(strange conversation to be having on the PF mind :lol:)

It is a bit more complicated than that but basicaly under extreme stress the body shuts down normal functions i.e. digestion to support intense muscular effort as in fighting or fleeing.

Yes and...........the sympathetic nervous system (which creates the stress response i.e. releases adrenalin/cortisol) is also being increasingly linked to the laying down of fat particularly in the stomach area.

The relationship between UC and diet is a complex and, even given the very different experiences of sufferers on here, a fairly unfathomable one.

I was diagnosed with UC 7 years ago, generally manage it well with non-steroidal anti-inflammatories which enable me to live a normal life and even run marathons and do endurance bike races. And, within a day or so, with no discernible change in what I've eaten, my stress level or the intensity of training that I'm doing I can be having a bad period where any travelling is determined by constantly knowing where the nearest loo is and I'm generally feeling knackered and crap (pardon the pun).

I also occasionally have flares where I'm totally wiped out, can't eat at all and am seriously ill for a few weeks.

I'm lucky that I have the disease in a relatively mild way and can lead a normal & fulfilling life but I do have enormous sympathy for those, like Darren Fletcher and some on here, for whom it's more debilitating.

Last edited:

Further to my above waffling about Vitamin D, have a read of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back