Darren Fletcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horrible illness for a fit young man to have to live with. Although it doesn't discriminate against age either it seems.

So basically sores grow on the bowel? or large intestine!?

Vile

Horrible illness for a fit young man to have to live with. Although it doesn't discriminate against age either it seems.

So basically sores grow on the bowel? or large intestine!?

Vile

Think of getting really bad mouth ulcers in your colon. You end up passing a load of blood, becoming anaemic due to it and therefore lethargic.

You end up with the shits because you aren't absorbing enough liquid and it obviously hurts like hell as your bowel moves as it passes your motion along.

Got diagnosed with crohns disease back in 2004, thought I was going to have to give up work altogether (you don't want the details but not nice) Tried all sorts of tablets steroids helped short term but rotten side effects. Happy ending though, now take immune suppressants and I'm in remission. Took about a year to get medication right but been spot on for years now, really feel for fletcher as I know what he'll be going through!
Get well soon mate, fingers crossed for you!

Got diagnosed with crohns disease back in 2004, thought I was going to have to give up work altogether (you don't want the details but not nice) Tried all sorts of tablets steroids helped short term but rotten side effects. Happy ending though, now take immune suppressants and I'm in remission. Took about a year to get medication right but been spot on for years now, really feel for fletcher as I know what he'll be going through!
Get well soon mate, fingers crossed for you!

Any bad effects from the immunosuppressants mate?

For anyone with similar symptoms to this but possibly not as bad as Fletcher I recommend old fashioned porridge for breakfast.

Not scientific but worth a try.

Any bad effects from the immunosuppressants mate?

Not too bad mate i take azathioprine and pentasa, started getting skin rashes and aching joints which I was told was down to tablets. Also pick up things easy, had shingles twice this year, it's a lot harder to fight off things a 30 year old should easily be able to fight off. Ill be sat there with the Old biddies waiting for my flew jabs.... Small price to pay for feeling better though mate!

Not too bad mate i take azathioprine and pentasa, started getting skin rashes and aching joints which I was told was down to tablets. Also pick up things easy, had shingles twice this year, it's a lot harder to fight off things a 30 year old should easily be able to fight off. Ill be sat there with the Old biddies waiting for my flew jabs.... Small price to pay for feeling better though mate!

:lol: Good on yer, it sounds like a small price to pay for getting your life back.

Cheers lad, sat in the north stand on Sunday, not ashamed to say was nearly back to square one when larsons free kick went in lol

:lol: I'm sure some study, some day, will prove a link between supporting SAFC and having all sorts of shit related problems!

they are lucky they have cleverly coming through this year and Anderson is back from injury

had UC myself many years ago, had it badly for approx 5 years, felt exhausted always and needed to be near the bog a lot, funnily enough when i went out as soon as i had a beer or 5 i felt normal again but did i suffer the next day!

took a massive course of steroids which effectively knocked it out for good so it seems, also ate a lot of bananas at the time and that seemed to really help as well, I am sure that DF is getting the right treatment, cannot imagine him training with the symptoms, he must be exhausted the poor bloke!

Fletcher is one player I wouldn't have minded seeing at SAFC once upon a time,he is very decent and seems like a very good pro.He doesn't court a high profile off the pitch and from what I've seen of him seems a thoroughly decent lad.I hope he recovers from his illness,he has much to offer his team and football in general.

I feel sick.

Can the autoimmune one be managed with diet?

This winds me right up. There is nothing you can eat that causes ulcers in your bowel. Every time I have a flare up people are always on at me not to eat curry, onions, dairy, wheat, sugar... the list is endless. :evil:

I've been diagnosed for 16 years and on medication for seven of those. The medicine is marvellous and I'm just used to taking it now. I have eleven tablets a day to take and that's pretty much a permanent thing.

It's a difficult illness to deal with as it's embarrassing to talk about it and even at your worst you can look perfectly healthy so there are always people who don't believe there's anything wrong with you. My last flare up had me off work for four months and some of my colleagues still think I was putting it on.

I sincerely hope Darren gets all the support he needs and windmills anyone who tells him what to eat.

I had this earlier in the year. Supposed to be taking tablets but haven't done any for 8 months now, and it hasn't come back. Result.

This winds me right up. There is nothing you can eat that causes ulcers in your bowel. Every time I have a flare up people are always on at me not to eat curry, onions, dairy, wheat, sugar... the list is endless. :evil:

I've been diagnosed for 16 years and on medication for seven of those. The medicine is marvellous and I'm just used to taking it now. I have eleven tablets a day to take and that's pretty much a permanent thing.

It's a difficult illness to deal with as it's embarrassing to talk about it and even at your worst you can look perfectly healthy so there are always people who don't believe there's anything wrong with you. My last flare up had me off work for four months and some of my colleagues still think I was putting it on.

I sincerely hope Darren gets all the support he needs and windmills anyone who tells him what to eat.

Sorry to hear that, but glad that you've found some good tablets.

What I meant was that some people (not those with ulcerative colitis) can avoid the bowel wall inflammation by not eating the things that trigger their immune system into attacking it (eg. gluten). I wondered to what extent that was true more generally. Not trying to suggest that these problems are initially caused by diet, I'm aware they're not (well, usually not).

I'd guess that stress is one of the causes of your flare ups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back