Collapse of the Pyramid System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks mrreal and Sweeper for those updates - interesting to see that those comments have made an appearance on the Bill Quay website, which I look at from time to time. was that you Sweeper or was it a shocking case of plagiarism? :)

Hope you are right and they are going to get their act together.

I might be talking out of place, but one of my mates is an ex-Phili man, and he reckons they are in a bit of a state at the moment, so it doesn't surprise me.

I'm sure if it is well organised and people can see that, then other teams will want to get on board, and make up any shortfall in numbers.

Not me mate so obviously copy/pasted from here. I'm a Bill Quay player though, so did see it pop up on the site.

heard anything about this meeting that took place last night, Sweeper?

heard anything about this meeting that took place last night, Sweeper?

Not a great deal, but apparently it wasn't really a summit meeting, but was more of a "drop in and pick up your application forms" affair. 14 forms were taken and those clubs have around two weeks to formally apply to NEPL2. Once this is done the teams admitted will be informed in plenty of time to resign from their current leagues by 30th June (as per League Cricket Conference rules). Once resignations are in everyone else across the DSL, DCL and DCCL will know where they stand and can (hopefully) start working together to come up with a solution for 2013 onwards. Interesting times ahead.

Of the Coast League teams, Murton have dropped their interest and Washington are certain to apply. Apparently a form was also taken by Seaham Harbour, which suprises me as I'd expected them to hang fire and apply for one of the inevitable vacancies in the DSL.

Thanks for that, Sweeper.

The sooner that this gets sorted out the better, then all the other Leagues can get themselves into some sort of order. Major changes ahead for all three of the main Durham Leagues, Coast, County, Senior.

Wonder how on earth will all pan out? Its going to be interesting! :)

The Northumberland Cricket Board have expressed some concerns about the NEPL Div 2 proposal.

1 There are no Northumberland clubs among the 'interested' clubs creating a geagraphical imbalance.-There is nothing the NEPL can do about that. One Northumberland club did express initial interest but withdrew early

2 The playing format ie overs.NEPL may compromise on this after a survey of Clubs and players. ( NEPL however believe the high quality of cricket in the NE is due to the longer game).

Neither issue should hold the proposals up but there are likely to be some difficult decisons in selecting the successful applicants.

Last edited:
A meeting was held at Phili I believe yesterday morning and the High-Ups in the DSL are now back-pedalling like crazy. They have proposed to go back into the pyramid system (as if nothing had happened!!) with the difference that teams relegated from the DSL would from now on be able to choose which lower league they will go into.

I can't see them pulling this off as they will need the goodwill of the lower leagues (who they effectively shat on by proposing to deny them promotion into the DSL) to get it through.

I reckon too many people have fallen in love with the idea of the higher standard of cricket offered by the NEPL 2 for this juggernault to be stopped. Felling didn't even bother to attend the meeting.

A meeting was held at Phili I believe yesterday morning and the High-Ups in the DSL are now back-pedalling like crazy. They have proposed to go back into the pyramid system (as if nothing had happened!!) with the difference that teams relegated from the DSL would from now on be able to choose which lower league they will go into.

I can't see them pulling this off as they will need the goodwill of the lower leagues (who they effectively shat on by proposing to deny them promotion into the DSL) to get it through.

I reckon too many people have fallen in love with the idea of the higher standard of cricket offered by the NEPL 2 for this juggernault to be stopped. Felling didn't even bother to attend the meeting.

just my opinion but if it stops the NEPL 2 from happening then the lower leagues may agree with backtrack due to the fear that their league could be decimated.

Scimmy said:

DSL have been up their own backsides for years

They deserve what they get

What a surprise......if only they'd realised the potential consequences of their earlier actions sooner.

The rest of the "lower leagues" could and should tell the DSL to fuck right off. Breathtaking arrogance from the DSL. They were the ones who broke the pyramid and now want back in but on their own terms.

SAFC2403 said:
The rest of the "lower leagues" could and should tell the DSL to fuck right off. Breathtaking arrogance from the DSL. They were the ones who broke the pyramid and now want back in but on their own terms.

Spot on

In an ideal world half of the DSL teams will go to NEPL2 and the DCCL and DCL teams will, (bar Washington, Brandon, Willington, Crook) stick together - forcing the remaining DSL teams to break up and apply to them and effectively disbanding the DSL.

If this whole episode has proven anything it's that the DSL, or rather the people at the top of it, have a hugely over-inflated view of themselves and their league. Whatever happens in the next 6-12 months it's going to be a period of big change for north east cricket - if we're going to end up at a solution that benefits everybody as far as possible it's best those kind of people are no longer in a position to influence things.

I still think this has a long way to go. Despite the NTSL claiming all is rosy there is a lot of discontent from both the Northumberland and Durham teams re: travelling and generally how the league is run.

A lot of the teams would be keen to move on if the right opportunity should arise, however a lot of the teams just arent that keen on timed cricket.

A route I can see is NEPL taking off, the DSL losing 4 or 5 teams and being forced to consider limited overs cricket. A am almost certain 4 or 5 Durham based teams from the NTSL would then apply, and can also see 5 or 6 Northumberland teams applying for more local options to them.

Ironically the NTSL who have distanced themselves could be the ones to struggle out of this.

Seems its a goer then. Time for people to move in. Find out who is in and work out what to do with the other leagues. Imperative that plans start asap to ensure its not chaos next winter.

Apparently there were 13 applicants for PL Div 2 of which they want 12. Inspections of facilities in mid March with decisions done and dusted by end of March to allow sufficient notice for resignations.

Which club do you think will miss out? Brandon will IMO as the PL won't want a hillbilly lot coming in and ruining the league ;)

Which club do you think will miss out? Brandon will IMO as the PL won't want a hillbilly lot coming in and ruining the league ;)

I agree - the Borders Agency will probably want to check who's leaving Brandon.

You can't have them escaping, so they'll have to have a plan for rounding them up and taking them back home on a saturday night ! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back