Collapse of the Pyramid System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets face it, the DSL has rightly screwed itself!!!!

As I've said before, the fact that Durham has a county team the ECB states there must be a Premier League. This is a fight the DSL can not win!!!!

Does anyone know who the teams are who have expressed an interest??? heard Seaham Harbour,Murton,Washington and Hylton from the Coast League

There seems to be a lot of in the knows all saying different things personally I can't wait to see how things will shape up as one way or another their will be a big shake up

Does anyone know who the teams are who have expressed an interest??? heard Seaham Harbour,Murton,Washington and Hylton from the Coast League

Felling
Norton
Horden
Whitburn
Boldon CC
Brandon
Castle Eden
Washington
Sacriston
Willington
Swalwell
Crook

The Harbour are looking to get back into the DSL for 2013, but may change their tune depending on what the DSL looks like by that stage.

Hylton aren't that stupid - they had their fingers burnt the last time they broke ranks and were lucky to find the Coast League so willing to have them back. Murton are in no fit state to apply to anywhere and need to concentrate on staying in the Coast League by finishing second from bottom or above.

Last edited:
Exactly why the DPL Second Division will go ahead.

If all the above teams do join what a good looking competitive league that looks.

Exactly why the DPL Second Division will go ahead.

If all the above teams do join what a good looking competitive league that looks.

Agree to an extent, but I don't knwoa great deal about Willington, Crook and Brandon; and can say with some certainty that unless Washington get 8 or 9 new players from somewhere they'll not be able to compete in that league.

Sweeper said:
Agree to an extent, but I don't knwoa great deal about Willington, Crook and Brandon; and can say with some certainty that unless Washington get 8 or 9 new players from somewhere they'll not be able to compete in that league.

Let's just say Brandon are very ambitious and have the set up to play at a higher level

But the league we are talking about is a NPL second division.

It will basically be the same standard as the DSL. Yes there is a huge gap between the top NPL teams but at the lower end its not that big.

Look at Kimblesworth last year in the DSL. Absolutely walked it. Plus it will give ambitious clubs like Brandon a chance, if they are good enough, to compete with the big boys. At the moment the DSL would block that by not allowing promotion or relegation, tying teams into lower league stagnation.

Felling
Norton
Horden
Whitburn
Boldon CC
Brandon
Castle Eden
Washington
Sacriston
Willington
Swalwell
Crook

Most of these clubs seem to present themselves as forward looking and ambitious clubs - not sure about Horden mind. They have a few good first teamers but little after that.

I'm not sure how many could compete in NEPL1, but then again some teams in the lower reaches of NEPL seem to 'give up' when they know there is no relegation. It might make them more competitive, for longer, as well.

If these teams did form an NEPL2 it would be good to see a shake up of the local leagues and different clubs playing each other on a regular basis.

Those running the DSL have had it coming for a long time and I hope they end up with a league of about 6 teams while the Coast and County Leagues continue to prosper, all be it with some new additions.

Without wishing to patronise VOR, this is an ideal opportunity for the likes of Brandon to be rewarded for their hard work off the field. They should be upheld as a fine example of how to run a cricket club.

Felling
Norton
Horden
Whitburn
Boldon CC
Brandon
Castle Eden
Washington
Sacriston
Willington
Swalwell
Crook

The Harbour are looking to get back into the DSL for 2013, but may change their tune depending on what the DSL looks like by that stage.

Hylton aren't that stupid - they had their fingers burnt the last time they broke ranks and were lucky to find the Coast League so willing to have them back. Murton are in no fit state to apply to anywhere and need to concentrate on staying in the Coast League by finishing second from bottom or above.

Can I ask where you got that list of clubs? Is this an ITK list or one someone 'thinks' might be likely?

Can I ask where you got that list of clubs? Is this an ITK list or one someone 'thinks' might be likely?

There are a few 'lists' doing the rounds, though how true any of them are is difficult to say.

Interesting times though !

Last edited:

Very much ITK mate - the clubs listed all submitted official letters of interest to the NEPL before the required deadline. Those clubs will be called to a meeting in the next month or so to discuss proposed playing formats etc; before deciding whether or not to make a full, official application. The idea is to give all of the interested clubs, who obviously play different formats at present, the opportunity to get in a room together and find some sort of common ground. I would imagine the most likely result will be 105 over timed cricket; maximum 55 or 60 overs first innings, 1pm or 1.30pm start.

Very much ITK mate - the clubs listed all submitted official letters of interest to the NEPL before the required deadline. Those clubs will be called to a meeting in the next month or so to discuss proposed playing formats etc; before deciding whether or not to make a full, official application. The idea is to give all of the interested clubs, who obviously play different formats at present, the opportunity to get in a room together and find some sort of common ground. I would imagine the most likely result will be 105 over timed cricket; maximum 55 or 60 overs first innings, 1pm or 1.30pm start.

Thanks for that.

Interesting times though !

Interesting times indeed. Looking at that list it seems to me that the DSL may have shot themselves in the foot? If they lose all of those teams......

Eggman said:
Most of these clubs seem to present themselves as forward looking and ambitious clubs - not sure about Horden mind. They have a few good first teamers but little after that.

I'm not sure how many could compete in NEPL1, but then again some teams in the lower reaches of NEPL seem to 'give up' when they know there is no relegation. It might make them more competitive, for longer, as well.

If these teams did form an NEPL2 it would be good to see a shake up of the local leagues and different clubs playing each other on a regular basis.

Those running the DSL have had it coming for a long time and I hope they end up with a league of about 6 teams while the Coast and County Leagues continue to prosper, all be it with some new additions.

Without wishing to patronise VOR, this is an ideal opportunity for the likes of Brandon to be rewarded for their hard work off the field. They should be upheld as a fine example of how to run a cricket club.

I am not patronised my friend have followed some good debate on this and other relevant threads.

Thanks for your positive comments

Times change clubs move forward if they can

Bottom line is it's village cricket let's do our best and enjoy

Times change clubs move forward if they can

Agree completely, whats wrong with clubs having some ambition - for a lot of years that was blocked by the 'closed shop'.

If its true and this is the line up of NEPL2, it appears to me that both Brandon and Washington have benefitted from a bottom up (oooh err missus - nee pics) approach to building a club/team. Its not that long since either team was a level lower than their current level.

And while what Sweeper says about Washington and competing is true, who's to say that they won't be able to in a few years time. Over the years theres been plenty of Washington residents who have played for outside clubs because they wanted to play at a 'higher' standard.

The only problem I can see is if the new NEPL Div 2 teams try to compete with the big boys.

The last thing any of these teams wants to do is buy success. This is where they will struggle and get into trouble. Its a long term thing and if they do want success a good youth set up is a must.

Look at Brandon, it could potentially have all the best young players from the county league on its books. Then it could compete in a few years time with the addition of a couple of good pros (Turner etc.)

Chesters success is built upon, good youth set up and good experienced players.

Deadline passsed, a few clubs seem to be in two minds about whether or not to express their interest and were a bit "yes/no" by the look of things.

15 letters of interest in:

Boldon CC
Whitburn
Eppleton
Felling
Phili
Horden
Norton
South Hetton
Willington
Brandon
Crook
Murton
Seaham Harbour
Washington
Sacriston

The NEPL2 will take 12 clubs at the most, so assuming that they all do go on to make a full application, a few are going to be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back