Coates for 2m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello from a Liverpool fan.
Just wanted to wish you and Coates the best of luck.
Seb is a very good player, definitely better than Lovren and most of us are not very pleased to see him gone and at the same time we keep Dejan and Toure...
Playing for a competent manager / Advocaat/ will do him good.
He is slow, but intelligent defender, reminds me of Mertesacker.

Still a very questionable signing, looked ok defending backs to the wall at times but not convinced he is the answer.

Why do we need to push on this week?
full international for 2 million 24 yeear old and still moaning couldn't sign someone from league 2 for that

Would prefer to have signed somebody I had never heard of for 8 million.

I would have preferred for SAFC to have signed someone better for £8m.

This board's obsession with fees, elevated above the merits and qualities of the actual player, is really quite bizarre. As a fan, I want the team that I watch to be populated with the best players, not the cheapest. I have no interest in being able to say "Well, he's bang average, but at least (X club) didn't have our eyes out on the fee" or "OK, he's not that good, but at least he was cheap".

I am certainly more interested in the club's ability to play football and win games, than I am in the ability of the club's officials to negotiate or maintain tidy accounts. The latter abilities are nice to have, but are 'back-office' activities. I want to see the 'front office' (that is, on the pitch) performance to be improved with the acquisition of the 5-6 quality players, that Advocaat has suggested that we need.

If those quality acquisitions can be brought in at £2m a time, then all well and good. However, if we want 'next-level' players, in terms of the qualities they have, then we cannot expect to pay 'same-level' fees.

Coates seems to be of a similar level to the Gomez's, Graham's, Bridcutt's and Buckley's - that is, occasionally decent, journeymen players. As a player who couldn't get selected at Liverpool or at Sunderland (he has played a total of 1539 minutes of Premier League football in four seasons (the equivalent of 17 games), I don't think he can seriously be considered as being the 'next level' up. The lack of interest in him from other clubs is telling. Still, at least he was cheap.

The fee doesn't bother me at all, the quality of the player does, always, not just Coates.
I still have concerns over him, like I do all of our players who can do it when the shit is touching the fan blades.

Wish him well, but I fear the price tag is actually realistic for what we are getting.

Its up to him to prove the doubters among us wrong, and good luck to him.

I said a few weeks ago that 2milion was a fair price....any more than that then surely there would be better out there.

I would have preferred for SAFC to have signed someone better for £8m.

This board's obsession with fees, elevated above the merits and qualities of the actual player, is really quite bizarre. As a fan, I want the team that I watch to be populated with the best players, not the cheapest. I have no interest in being able to say "Well, he's bang average, but at least (X club) didn't have our eyes out on the fee" or "OK, he's not that good, but at least he was cheap".

I am certainly more interested in the club's ability to play football and win games, than I am in the ability of the club's officials to negotiate or maintain tidy accounts. The latter abilities are nice to have, but are 'back-office' activities. I want to see the 'front office' (that is, on the pitch) performance to be improved with the acquisition of the 5-6 quality players, that Advocaat has suggested that we need.

If those quality acquisitions can be brought in at £2m a time, then all well and good. However, if we want 'next-level' players, in terms of the qualities they have, then we cannot expect to pay 'same-level' fees.

Coates seems to be of a similar level to the Gomez's, Graham's, Bridcutt's and Buckley's - that is, occasionally decent, journeymen players. As a player who couldn't get selected at Liverpool or at Sunderland (he has played a total of 1539 minutes of Premier League football in four seasons (the equivalent of 17 games), I don't think he can seriously be considered as being the 'next level' up. The lack of interest in him from other clubs is telling. Still, at least he was cheap.

What a strange post

Coates is a full international with massive potential

Bridcutt and Buckley are championship plodder who would never of been in this league but for Poyet

They are in no way similar in way at all, bizarre to claim they are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back