Coates for 2m

Status
Not open for further replies.

You can always tell when people try too hard to let others know how clever they are

I presume that your comment is directed at me and I accept the point that you make. However, this guy really got under my skin and became an itch that I had to scratch. However, Savalon has now been applied and I'm soothed.

I have, for convenience chosen too use your most recent post to respond to, rather than the longer one from much earlier, I have done so because I do not intend to labour this matter with you any longer, save for making one point.

You don't want to labour it, but you decide to write three pages on it? Aye rightio....

In your earlier post, in response to my assertion that the "... actuality is that the fee paid represents the cost of having that player's services for that period of time...." you stated :-
"... The actuality is that the wages represents the cost of having that players services for that period of time. The transfer simply transfers the player to your club, just as you would have to pay for anything of value...."

However, wages do not represent the "... cost of having that player's services for that period of time..." - they only represent a part of the cost. Additionally, at the time a club acquires the services of player X, there may also be a need to compensate his existing employer for foregoing their contractual right to his services. However, the transference process in that instance is not the same as going to a shop and buying, let us say, a Ming vase - a thing of value that you are hoping will further appreciate in value and perhaps become a family heirloom - something of permanence to be retained within the family for generation after generation. In that transaction, you are buying the right to own the inanimate object (the vase) forever. It would be reasonable to describe this as 'an investment'.

The wages do only represent part of that cost, though you never suggested wages represented having that player for that period of time, you suggested the transfer fee alone did. The transfer fee may be wrote off over a period of time, but that's purely for accouting purposes. It actually represents buying said player, not anything to do with how long you have him for. The contract, wages you give him, loyalty payments etc are what represent having that player for x amount of time. The transfer fee only gives an insight into his value summed up by different things i.e. his perceived potential and ability, his age etc, hence any transfer of a young ish player on a decent contract is certainly seen as a footballing investment.

When a football club pays out a fee for a player, it does so in the full knowledge that it will not permanently 'own' the player, but rather it will have the contractual right to call upon his services during a specified period of time and at the end of that period there is no further right of 'ownership' of the player - he then has the right to move on and contract with alternative employers. It is accurate to describe this as 'expenditure' and not 'investment'.

WTF? You really took the time out to type that out?

Expenditure - clearly it is expenditure in terms of they have to look at it in terms of it being money need to run the business, which they may not get back.

Investment : the act of putting money, effort, time, etc. into something to make a profit or get an advantage, or the money, effort, time, etc.

So clearly it's also an investment in the playing staff as they clearly expect to get something back from it, be it performances on the pitch or resale off it. Seriously you're too locked up in the finances here you cannot seem to grasp it's a footballing investment - they're not just throwing the money away running a business, they expect something back.

But, that is it. As stated, I have no intention of persisting with this exchange between us any further. You seem either incapable of, or perhaps just unwilling to, understand the difference between investment and expenditure One last piece of advice. Do not buy milk as an investment.

:D :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back