Child benefit limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

It would make a difference to me having no Child / Working tax credits for 4 weeks, hence my problem with Universal Credits in general.

Don't mean to sound harsh but that's pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things and you have ample time to try and put something in place to prepare for it.

Why should I have to rely upon loan sharks ? they should simply pay folks a month in advance and there would be no problems.

Give over!

Don't mean to sound harsh but that's pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things and you have ample time to try and put something in place to prepare for it.
No its not, I have a young child and a home to support, heat, food and clothing to provide - what could I be "putting in place" ?

Why should I have to rely upon loan sharks ? they should simply pay folks a month in advance and there would be no problems.

I can see it from both sides, a month is a long time to wait for income, but if someone finds a job, that's exactly what they'll usually have to do. So if you want to supposedly help people transition into work (which is supposedly the idea behind UC) then receiving benefit monthly in arrears is the only way to do it.

Maybe a bridging loan for three weeks rental difference, or even a one off "gift" might be needed though.

It would make a difference to me having no Child / Working tax credits for 4 weeks, hence my problem with Universal Credits in general.

I think it would be more like three weeks, but obviously it's going to be very hard for people. I thought they would have a system in place seeing as it's been rolled out in some places.

I can see it from both sides, a month is a long time to wait for income, but if someone finds a job, that's exactly what they'll usually have to do. So if you want to supposedly help people transition into work (which is supposedly the idea behind UC) then receiving benefit monthly in arrears is the only way to do it.

Maybe a bridging loan for three weeks rental difference, or even a one off "gift" might be needed though.
They're going to have to do something Andrew, but until then I'll get paid weekly and budget weekly (as I've always done).

Its *tenant, and a tenant signs a contract and pays a bond, they don't pay and the bond gets spent on what they owe. They also need to give notice.
Aye a months notice isn't it? Do you reckon every landlord has someone quing up to move in as soon as someone moved out?

in my experience theres normally a of at least a few weeks, there's repairs to make, agent fees to pay etc.

No its not, I have a young child and a home to support, heat, food and clothing to provide - what could I be "putting in place" ?

I'm sure you can go 4 weeks without having to buy any clothing. You could put a couple of quid away a week to save up and tide you over for when/if it happens.

Aye a months notice isn't it? Do you reckon every landlord has someone quing up to move in as soon as someone moved out?

in my experience theres normally a of at least a few weeks, there's repairs to make, agent fees to pay etc.
Some do, and it just depends I guess.

They're going to have to do something Andrew, but until then I'll get paid weekly and budget weekly (as I've always done).

Not sure if you could afford it, but you could opt to get your CTCs paid four weekly now, then you wouldn't take the whole whack at once?

Lets be right about it, the idea behind it is that they'll save a month - 3 weeks worth of benefits payments.

I'm sure you can go 4 weeks without having to buy any clothing. You could put a couple of quid away a week to save up and tide you over for when/if it happens.
Why should I ? I get paid weekly, I budget and pay for everything weekly, I'm already having to put money aside to cover summer camp in the 6 weeks as my 28 days holiday doesn't cover my child's 13 weeks holiday. I cant claim childcare tax credits as the summer camp only runs 4 weeks and you need to claim childcare tax credits for 5 weeks or more.

Lets be right about it, the idea behind it is that they'll save a month - 3 weeks worth of benefits payments.

They won't save anything though, they'll just be paying it later? Both major parties back the idea of a monthly variable benefit payment, linked to that month's earnings. It does make sense in many ways, the current CTC situation is all over the place, you get awarded benefits based on a previous years's earnings, so your income could drop by loads and you have to wait for a long time to get more benefits.

The cynic in me thinks they like it because it'll mean zero hour contracts will become more normal, but it should actually help people on zero hour contracts as they'll have a more regular income (wages+benefits).

Yup, they'll be quids in.

Not sure if you could afford it, but you could opt to get your CTCs paid four weekly now, then you wouldn't take the whole whack at once?
I couldn't do it Andrew, I need my working / child tax credits paid weekly for week to week living expenses.

Do you pay your rent in advance or arrears?

Payment, monthly in arrears, is how most working people get paid already and may help a transition into work, I can see some logic behind making benefits the same, they'd have to put something in place though for people in your situation, maybe a bridging loan of sorts?
Agree. However the fact that people have been paid their benefits weekly for x years will cause difficulties for many given the "low income" nature of their existence. For workers moving from weekly to monthly wages it's a real ball-ache, but generally maneagable. For those on benefits, asking them to wait (in some cases) up to 6 weeks for UC (and any interim payments being paid back over time, thus reducing their "income" for a period of time) is tough.

I worked on UC for a year when I was in Social Housing and predicted big problems for Social Landlords in the collection of rent - every contract states that payment is in advance, but given the nany state of HB being paid direct to landlords, most were happy to "wait" for the claim to be paid, hence why 99% of social tenants could end up 8 weeks in "arrears" by the time they get their first UC payment.

I agree with the implementation of UC, it is a logical way to help transition people back to work, but it seemed (I've been out of it for 15 months) ill thought out and very badly planned. When I left SH, the first UC roll out had happened in selected Job Centres only, for single men, aged 25-26, called Colin, with brown hair and green eyes only../... The feeling was that the Govt were terrified of rolling out on a national scale as they didn't have a f***ing clue how it was going to work. My contacts at DWP admitted that they had no idea how Social Landlors were supposed to apply for switchback when a tenant fell into arrears. I'd imagine it's still utter chaos....

Why should I ? I get paid weekly, I budget and pay for everything weekly, I'm already having to put money aside to cover summer camp in the 6 weeks as my 28 days holiday doesn't cover my child's 13 weeks holiday. I cant claim childcare tax credits as the summer camp only runs 4 weeks and you need to claim childcare tax credits for 5 weeks or more.

Can't you take parental leave? You can take 18 weeks parental leave before your child is 5. Maximum of 4 in one year. It'll be unpaid though, but I'd presume summer camp will cost more than you earn part time anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back