4 kids dead in fire were left alone in the house

I remember when my oldest daughter was a baby and she was poorly, my husband (at the time) was at work and I had ran out of medicine for her. I waited until she had fell asleep in her cot and dashed to the chemist which was just round the corner from my house. I was there and back in 5 minutes but I was in a right panic the whole time I was out imagining things like the house burning down, someone breaking in and abducting her, all sorts of things. She was still fast asleep. I have no idea how anyone can go out and leave their small kids for any reason.
You've literally just explained it.

I remember when my oldest daughter was a baby and she was poorly, my husband (at the time) was at work and I had ran out of medicine for her. I waited until she had fell asleep in her cot and dashed to the chemist which was just round the corner from my house. I was there and back in 5 minutes but I was in a right panic the whole time I was out imagining things like the house burning down, someone breaking in and abducting her, all sorts of things. She was still fast asleep. I have no idea how anyone can go out and leave their small kids for any reason.

Just your post sums up the person you are.
Wonderful and caring. Must have been tough that x

Local social media is s bit of a mess on this. More than one go fund me page set up by people with no connection to The family. A mass balloon launch suggested for the 23rd. First time i have really seen social media in action this way locally. I know this sounds callous but i cant help feel that some people are getting involved for the attention.:(

Local social media is s bit of a mess on this. More than one go fund me page set up by people with no connection to The family. A mass balloon launch suggested for the 23rd. First time i have really seen social media in action this way locally. I know this sounds callous but i cant help feel that some people are getting involved for the attention.:(
Most will be trying to do a good thing. I think social media obviously has its fair share of attention seekers but equally I lament the fact that many people these days seem to go straight to cynical assumptions of attention seeking virtue signaling when folk are trying to help.
A healthy dose of cynicism can be useful but I can’t help feeling that society would be nicer if we all tried a bit harder to see the good in people. Not a criticism of you, merely an observation of how negatively society tends to perceive others as an immediate response and how divisive that has become in issues like Brexit for example.

Most will be trying to do a good thing. I think social media obviously has its fair share of attention seekers but equally I lament the fact that many people these days seem to go straight to cynical assumptions of attention seeking virtue signaling when folk are trying to help.
A healthy dose of cynicism can be useful but I can’t help feeling that society would be nicer if we all tried a bit harder to see the good in people. Not a criticism of you, merely an observation of how negatively society tends to perceive others as an immediate response and how divisive that has become in issues like Brexit for example.
I take your point and I agree with your sentiments.

However...

It's clear since the advent of social media that lots of people, not all, only do a good thing because its broadcast that they done it all over social media (by them).

I believe that the social media hounds don't do it because its a good thing, it's just another 'look at me' opportunity.

I take your point and I agree with your sentiments.

However...

It's clear since the advent of social media that lots of people, not all, only do a good thing because its broadcast that they done it all over social media (by them).

I believe that the social media hounds don't do it because its a good thing, it's just another 'look at me' opportunity.
Undoubtedly some do but I prefer to view people doing a good thing positively and suspect those that are “ attention seeking” are often doing so for psychological reasons rather than just cravenly seeking fame/ likes. Even if the attention is the primary goal the choice of means to get that attention can have positive outcomes and attention can be sought much more negatively.

The mother had been out shopping in Sainsbury's and retuned 90 minutes later. That's a long time to be supermarket shopping, especially when you know your children are home alone. So obviously she deserves criticism. But what annoyed me about the reporting though was witnesses said she had a cigarette hanging out of her mouth. They said she didn't look concerned or all that bothered about what had happened. Do they not know what shock can do to a person. I didn't think those witness comments should have been reported at that stage.

The mother had been out shopping in Sainsbury's and retuned 90 minutes later. That's a long time to be supermarket shopping, especially when you know your children are home alone. So obviously she deserves criticism. But what annoyed me about the reporting though was witnesses said she had a cigarette hanging out of her mouth. They said she didn't look concerned or all that bothered about what had happened. Do they not know what shock can do to a person. I didn't think those witness comments should have been reported at that stage.
Happens all the time, it's to make sure she gets found guilty and gets as much stick as possible.

Bannon was the siblings name. Eldest was called Sonia. The babysitter was called Sproates iirc. They have a big headstone in Bishopwearmouth cemetery. The house and the adjoining one were knocked down a while later. The site now has a new build house on it. It happened in the early hours of a Monday morning. The clothes they were drying in front of the fire were the kids school clothes. It was a day or two after my 13th birthday, remember it fairly clearly.
Seen that headstone while in the cemetery the other day and wondered how four young siblings of those ages could have died altogether,could remember a house fire in ford estate in early/mid 80s and one in pennywell in mid/late 80s but couldn’t remember this one in the original post ….RIP to those bairns who died that day

Back