4 kids dead in fire were left alone in the house

It's horrific, my bairn is in comp now and I get nervous leaving him a few minutes if I have to pop to the corner shop ffs :confused:

You have to worry @look out piano it’s horrific this World and sometimes feels it has got considerably worse.
Can only send you best wishes and luck but for certain look after your most precious gift xx
I think it will be common to lesser degrees, parents putting kids in bed and popping up the street etc
Also how many parents get proper bladdered in the house and go to bed .
If owt happened theyd be useless

All about standards mate.
Would never leave my kids like that.
They are now old enough and have earned the trust to be left. Both we consider sensible. The Lab on the other hand.

Last edited:
Tragic.
I remember back in 1980 when there were 5 bairns died in a house fire in Pennywell.
Rumours at the time was that their parents were in the club having a drink. :eek:

One of the "bairns" was a teenager/cousin who was babysitting the younger four who were siblings. Pretty sure at the time of the fire the parents were back home and the babysitter decided to stay at the house overnight.

Drying clothes in front of the fire.
I rember the fire, I'm sure one of the bairns killed used to hang about with my sister, Bannon rings a bell as a name, didn't they have to pull the house down because the neighbours could here screaming during the night coming from the house.

I’d suspect that this happens more than we’d hope (kids left alone ) single mother working as a carer was desperate for extra cash or covering for staff absent due to Covid on run up to Christmas might be tempted to put kids to bed and head out to do a night shift while they’re asleep. If she’s been out partying then that’s a different matter
I'm sorry but leaving four children under five, whether you are working or partying is just not on.

Edit: Not judging the story as I have no idea of the facts of the case, just commenting on the idea that leaving the kids alone is better if working than partying. It is just wrong.

Last edited:
I rember the fire, I'm sure one of the bairns killed used to hang about with my sister, Bannon rings a bell as a name, didn't they have to pull the house down because the neighbours could here screaming during the night coming from the house.

Bannon was the siblings name. Eldest was called Sonia. The babysitter was called Sproates iirc. They have a big headstone in Bishopwearmouth cemetery. The house and the adjoining one were knocked down a while later. The site now has a new build house on it. It happened in the early hours of a Monday morning. The clothes they were drying in front of the fire were the kids school clothes. It was a day or two after my 13th birthday, remember it fairly clearly.

Bannon was the siblings name. Eldest was called Sonia. The babysitter was called Sproates iirc. They have a big headstone in Bishopwearmouth cemetery. The house and the adjoining one were knocked down a while later. The site now has a new build house on it. It happened in the early hours of a Monday morning. The clothes they were drying in front of the fire were the kids school clothes. It was a day or two after my 13th birthday, remember it fairly clearly.
Aye Sonia was the name I remembered but wasn't sure, I lived just round the corner and remember looking at the house after the fire, awful.

I'm sorry but leaving four children under five, whether you are working or partying is just not on.

Edit: Not judging the story as I have no idea of the facts of the case, just commenting on the idea that leaving the kids alone is better if working than partying. It is just wrong.
I think the two are very different and both unacceptable but I think there will be plenty of people in that situation who feel the pressure to provide justifies the risks which in this case has had tragic consequences. I do think leaving them to party would be worse than leaving them to work though but I never said either were acceptable

Back