Zak Crawley

He’s fortunate that they have had so much faith in him but he has done OK this series and looks at home against high quality bowlers. He did the hard work today playing very well and his eyes lit up when Marsh came on.

He’s fortunate that they have had so much faith in him but he has done OK this series and looks at home against high quality bowlers. He did the hard work today playing very well and his eyes lit up when Marsh came on.
I’d say more than okay, he’s been good. Averaging 32.6 against the best bowling attack in the world, it’s more than any of us expected of him.

Which says it all really that he's been one of our better batters. Some serious under performers in there atm

I know some posters feel that stats aren't really that relevant but I think they are actually a very strong barometer of performance, cricket is arguably the most individual stat driven sport IMO. Anyway, I think we can all agree that averaging around the 40 mark for a batsman is considered "Good" and those touching 50 over a career are usually the greats.

Looking at the averages so far for the series we have Stokes averaging over 50, Root at 46 and Duckett just under 40.

Brook at 35 is acceptable and then you have Crawley at 32.67 despite some eyecatching starts. So based upon those that have played more than 1 test, he's 5th out of our top 7 but still averaging higher than his career average of 28.

The big worry would be Bairstow averaging 23.5 and keeping to a poor standard. After an excellent 78 in the first innings of the series, he's scored 63 runs at an average of 12.

We can quote averages etc etc

but with any player especially an opener it comes down to one thing imo.

And that is do we think there is a better opener alternative out there than Crawley.

Not sure there is tbh.

We can quote averages etc etc

but with any player especially an opener it comes down to one thing imo.

And that is do we think there is a better opener alternative out there than Crawley.

Not sure there is tbh.
Yeah, but I don't think anyone was clamouring for Duckett to be picked but he's outperformed Crawley since (I'm ready to be proved wrong but it feels like Duckett is more consistent)

I know some posters feel that stats aren't really that relevant but I think they are actually a very strong barometer of performance, cricket is arguably the most individual stat driven sport IMO. Anyway, I think we can all agree that averaging around the 40 mark for a batsman is considered "Good" and those touching 50 over a career are usually the greats.

Looking at the averages so far for the series we have Stokes averaging over 50, Root at 46 and Duckett just under 40.

Brook at 35 is acceptable and then you have Crawley at 32.67 despite some eyecatching starts. So based upon those that have played more than 1 test, he's 5th out of our top 7 but still averaging higher than his career average of 28.

The big worry would be Bairstow averaging 23.5 and keeping to a poor standard. After an excellent 78 in the first innings of the series, he's scored 63 runs at an average of 12.
I get your point, but personally in general for any batsman I think current form and confidence more important than career averages.

Probably not a good comparison but in other sports for example football a centre forward scoring goals would be judged of the here and now and picked accordingly not judged how many goals he scored 5 seasons ago
Yeah, but I don't think anyone was clamouring for Duckett to be picked but he's outperformed Crawley since (I'm ready to be proved wrong but it feels like Duckett is more consistent)
Yeah fair enough not saying somebody out there definitely better or worse but there is certainly nobody really knocking the door down in that position which imo is a reason why he has been given more time

Last edited:

Back