Stokes
Pope
Foakes
Ali
Wood
Archer
Leach

Reserve, bess, curran, woakes, denly

Bess will start surely, think it should only be 1 of Wood/Archer and the other Woakes/Curran. Broad and Jimmy should be rested until the summer

Bess will start surely, think it should only be 1 of Wood/Archer and the other Woakes/Curran. Broad and Jimmy should be rested until the summer

Bess has pole position with regard to spin. After that, a lot may depend on Leach's fitness. He's not long got over sepsis.

Seamers - agreed with you but I'd be tempted to have Broad in the squad.

Wicket keeper - Foakes. Probably take Bairstow as back up and bring a halt to Buttler's test career, for now at least.

Batting - top 6 as other posts. Denly still in the squad.

Top 3 going to get a bit of a baptism, but I think Crawley could do very well. Not sold on Sibley yet ... Whichever does better holds their place once Burns returns.

Also need to leave Pope absolutely untouched at 5-6 and not bump him up the order to cover other deficiencies at 3.

Top 3 going to get a bit of a baptism, but I think Crawley could do very well. Not sold on Sibley yet ... Whichever does better holds their place once Burns returns.

Also need to leave Pope absolutely untouched at 5-6 and not bump him up the order to cover other deficiencies at 3.
Who's your other top 3 batsman for Sri Lanka, Denly or Jennings? I can't see anything other than a top 3 of Sibley, Crawley and Burns in the summer (unless one of the first two gets a string of ducks in SL).

Who's your other top 3 batsman for Sri Lanka, Denly or Jennings? I can't see anything other than a top 3 of Sibley, Crawley and Burns in the summer (unless one of the first two gets a string of ducks in SL).
Denly, but think he'll struggle.

I'd be tempted to blood an untried batsman like Northeast in place of Denly but recognise the risks in this. Ali should not be considered IMO due to lack of game time and I don't think he seems mentally ready to return. Rashid to be considered as third spinner or perhaps make a leap of faith in Root being third spinner to Leach and Bess.

I'd be tempted to blood an untried batsman like Northeast in place of Denly but recognise the risks in this. Ali should not be considered IMO due to lack of game time and I don't think he seems mentally ready to return. Rashid to be considered as third spinner or perhaps make a leap of faith in Root being third spinner to Leach and Bess.
Northeast has barely scored 1,500 runs in the last 2 seasons, not sure he's ever lived up to his potential. But then I looked at the Lions squad to see who was picked and there he is :) I guess, him Lawrence and Hain are in the selectors thoughts, might be a shootout between them, and possibly Jennings, to be the reserve batsman on tour.

Northeast has barely scored 1,500 runs in the last 2 seasons, not sure he's ever lived up to his potential. But then I looked at the Lions squad to see who was picked and there he is :) I guess, him Lawrence and Hain are in the selectors thoughts, might be a shootout between them, and possibly Jennings, to be the reserve batsman on tour.

Got almost a 1000 last season at just over 50. Hain looks a decent player but think 3 is too high for him.

Bairstow at 3 ffs 🤯
I don't think Denly's the long term answer but I just don't understand bringing Bairstow back again having had no first class cricket to work things out. Even if you think he won't be tested enough playing county cricket it would at least mean he'd be confident and hopefully in some kind of touch. Happier with Foakes being called up though, if Buttler wants to play tests he's got to ditch the IPL and get some games in with Lancashire.

Bairstow at 3 ffs 🤯
Seen murmurings of this from Dobell the other day. Advising due to Bairstow getting a hundred in Sri Lanka last time t number 3 coupled with and Denly weakness against the spin, they may look to Jonny at 3

Ed Smith can fuck off with his blinkered love in with Bairstow and Buttler

Back