Your team for Sri Lanka

I don't see any reason to change the top 6. They all performed in SA and the only changes I'd make would be to the bowling attack and that is based purely on conditions.
Lot of talk about Jennings being a good player of spin, so I'd take him as back up but he's done nothing to warrant an immediate place in the team
I'd love to see Rashid back in whites, but think that ship has sailed

Sibley, Crawley, Denly, Root(c), Stokes, Pope, Foakes, Ali, Curran, Wood, Leach

Jennings, Buttler, Bess, Mahmood and AN Other pace bowler

I'd give Broad a rest and certainly wouldn't be risking Jimmy

I don't see any reason to change the top 6. They all performed in SA and the only changes I'd make would be to the bowling attack and that is based purely on conditions.
Lot of talk about Jennings being a good player of spin, so I'd take him as back up but he's done nothing to warrant an immediate place in the team
I'd love to see Rashid back in whites, but think that ship has sailed

Sibley, Crawley, Denly, Root(c), Stokes, Pope, Foakes, Ali, Curran, Wood, Leach

Jennings, Buttler, Bess, Mahmood and AN Other pace bowler

I'd give Broad a rest and certainly wouldn't be risking Jimmy

Not a bad line up mate. Do you not think root can play the role of second spinner and shoe horn another batter or quick in?

Not a bad line up mate. Do you not think root can play the role of second spinner and shoe horn another batter or quick in?
Not sure the quicks have any impact in SL. Someone with the pace of Wood might get something out the surface. We played 3 spinners there last time didn't we?

Not sure the quicks have any impact in SL. Someone with the pace of Wood might get something out the surface. We played 3 spinners there last time didn't we?

Yeah I think we did. Fair enough. Just didn't want us wearing out the few quicks that do play. It's not easy bowling fast for long spells in such heat. I guess the onus will be on the spinners to do the hard graft. Lije another poster mentioned before. I hope someone is trying to persuade Rash to don the whites again.

It's a tough one. I can see both sides. Rash has defo been messed about in test setup. In and out not been able to play his trade. Here's a good read on that very same scenario

Problem is our test team doesn't always require a leggie. Just on spinning wickets.

Sibley
Crawley
Denly
Root
Stokes
Pope
Foakes
Woakes
Bess
Leach
Wood

That would be my XI from that, spin options look weak
Woakes, foakes and stokes. Like that. The spin in there from Denly, root, Bess and leach, three seamers. You could not get more options into a team than this

Buttler is a freakish talent who needs time to settle in, he's only played 41 Tests FFS.

If you disagree you want England to lose.

ONLY played 41 tests? How come he gets so many tests to settle and prove worth and others are written off after a bad innings?

appreciate he’s a freakish talent (white ball dominant), but how many test caps does he have to have before a verdict can be drawn on him playing or not?

Back