Your car, realistic car and dream car

Current car: Ford Galaxy
Realistic car: Ford are due to announce an electric replacement, worth a look if it can go 200+ miles when fully loaded
Dream car: I have no dream car. Same as I have no dream screwdriver. Unless you count a fully automated car I don't need to think about driving.

Current car: BMW i4 M50.
Realistic car: Cant think of anything realistically priced I'd prefer over the M50 right now.
Dream car: Some form of Ferrari to take out on weekends.

Amazes me how many people want an SUV as their dream car. Even the Ferrari and Lambo ones are butt ugly.
It amazes me how many people want some sort of sports/racing car as their dream car.

The thing that limits my speed on UK roads is not how powerful my engine is or streamlined the car is.

I always think it looks funny if you do see a Ferrari or some other kind of expensive car roar past, then some fat bloke in his late 60s gets out. Similar to soft top cars, first day of sunshine and the roads are full of all these cars with the roof down and bright red sunburnt heads. I always feel they are a thing for younger people. Most of the powerful and expensive cars I see are driven by retirees who get to an open stretch of road and stick to 60.

It amazes me how many people want some sort of sports/racing car as their dream car.

The thing that limits my speed on UK roads is not how powerful my engine is or streamlined the car is.

I always think it looks funny if you do see a Ferrari or some other kind of expensive car roar past, then some fat bloke in his late 60s gets out. Similar to soft top cars, first day of sunshine and the roads are full of all these cars with the roof down and bright red sunburnt heads. I always feel they are a thing for younger people. Most of the powerful and expensive cars I see are driven by retirees who get to an open stretch of road and stick to 60.
Most likely young people can't afford them. Youth is wasted on the young, and wealth on the old 😁.

As for speed, it's not just about that, it's also looks, handling, sound, and other subjective qualities.

Having said that, why should old people not enjoy nice cars if they can afford them. Convertibles in particular are not well suited to fulfilling practical motoring needs, carrying people and stuff, but perfect for older people who may not need to do high mileage or drive daily.

Plus a lot of the time it's a nostalgia thing, eg with classic cars where older people buy cars they lusted after in their youth, and enjoy tinkering with them. No harm IMO, nice hobby and arguably less harmful to the environment than them buying a new one and barely driving it either.

Last edited:
Most likely young people can't afford them. Youth is wasted on the young, and wealth on the old 😁.

As for speed, it's not just about that, it's also looks, handling, sound, and other subjective qualities.

Having said that, why should old people not enjoy nice cars if they can afford them. Convertibles in particular are not well suited to fulfilling practical motoring needs, carrying people and stuff, but perfect for older people who may not need to do high mileage or drive daily.

Plus a lot of the time it's a nostalgia thing, eg with classic cars where older people buy cars they lusted after in their youth, and enjoy tinkering with them. No harm IMO, nice hobby and arguably less harmful to the environment than them buying a new one and barely driving it either.
Yeah, if they are enjoyable to drive, I get that. I've never really liked cars and driving and just see them as a thing to get you and your stuff somewhere, so probably why I don't see the fascination.

I do just find it funny when you pass an expensive sports car. I'm in my bog standard Ford and I never go more than 80 on the motorway (I know I should not do more than 70), but fly past a high power car pootling along at 50-60 with the lorries.

Got a Focus, would like some sort of noisy muscle car. Realistically, I will end up with a Land Rover or a German car when I'm older for practical reasons. I could ignore road markings, get right of way in very situation and won't need to bother renewing the licence when it expires.
My mate's boss had one of those. Spent money on mods like lights on the underside of the doors saying RS6. He sold it after 3 years with 3k miles on it. Must have made a dreadful loss on it :eek:

Back