Your car, realistic car and dream car

BMW M3 x-Drive (G80)
911 Carrera
911 Turbo S

My last car was a QV. Amazing car to drive, had no issues (may have got lucky) and ticks the Alfa box. Was easy to drive, unless you put it in the more dialled up settings and it's wet. Then, not so easy.

But they're years behind tech wise and the dealers are typically useless.
How does the M3 compare to the Alfa?

One dream car I would like among the classics (we never mention older supercars) is the Ferrari Daytona or Ferrari 308. I saw Roddy McDowall in a Columbo mystery and his character owns one. The 308 is better known by his moustach wearing owner Thomas Magnum. Gus Gorman in Superman III has one before he meets Ross Webster to tell him about his ideas for a huge super computer. I saw it today.

As for realistic cars I have always wanted an Alfa. Yet they are beset by problems people reckon. I just love them for the styling. I like the Giulietta. Plus it’s the closest thing I will get to a Ferrari of Lamborghini.

How does the M3 compare to the Alfa?

The M3 can’t match up to the looks of the Giulia QV, and it’s fair to say the latest G80 is a look you love, hate or grow to like a bit…..

In the dry both are brilliant. Very different, the Alfa doesn’t have the same torque say 30-60 but is probably more fun overall. In the dry anyway.

In the wet unless you’re in the most sensible driving mode the QV can be a bit difficult. I don’t pretend to be anything but a big standard driver, so could be that! But roundabouts and pulling out from junctions in the wet could catch you out.

The M3, and I haven’t driven the G80 RWD, is very quick in any conditions and feels like a modern cabin, with the tech you need/want and nothing beeping or pulling you into other lanes etc.. The interior of the 2021 QV (which was a refresh) felt tired and old fashioned.

Give me the looks and engine of the Giulia and the drivetrain and interior of the M3.

Got a merc c220 sport parked up, an Audi tt and works car Toyota avensis estate at the minute
Would like a Tesla in future
Dream car McLaren

As for realistic cars I have always wanted an Alfa. Yet they are beset by problems people reckon. I just love them for the styling. I like the Giulietta. Plus it’s the closest thing I will get to a Ferrari of Lamborghini.
Get one. The Giulietta is a nice car, not pricey, and said to be easy to live with. Their reputation isn't really deserved. I'm onto my third Alfa and none have ever let me down (yet), which can't be said of every other car I've had. In the 70s and 80s Alfas rusted too easily, but most modern ones are fine if you keep an eye on them, like with most cars. If you're buying an older car, whatever it is, you need to be willing to get the odd thing done to keep it on the road.

Last edited:
Pretty happy with my ranger tbf.
It's really to fit the dog in. He's a big fecker and obviously fit in the A4 with it being a saloon. My other half has a hatchback and there is room for him in the back, although that means no room for bags etc. He does tend to stand up the whole way no matter how far we are going. We do loads of stops on long journeys so he has a good work-out and a Humpty Dumpty on the way. I can fit his crate in a Ranger so I'm hoping he might lie down and get a bit kip.

It's really to fit the dog in. He's a big fecker and obviously fit in the A4 with it being a saloon. My other half has a hatchback and there is room for him in the back, although that means no room for bags etc. He does tend to stand up the whole way no matter how far we are going. We do loads of stops on long journeys so he has a good work-out and a Humpty Dumpty on the way. I can fit his crate in a Ranger so I'm hoping he might lie down and get a bit kip.
Ours will only lie down in the back seat. Doesn’t move if he’s on there and will happily sleep. In the “boot” he stands up regardless of the car, space or having his bed etc.

Got a Focus, would like some sort of noisy muscle car. Realistically, I will end up with a Land Rover or a German car when I'm older for practical reasons. I could ignore road markings, get right of way in very situation and won't need to bother renewing the licence when it expires.

My mate's boss had one of those. Spent money on mods like lights on the underside of the doors saying RS6. He sold it after 3 years with 3k miles on it. Must have made a dreadful loss on it :eek:
I'd love one...Fast and Practical.....not unlike myself.

Get one. The Giulietta is a nice car, not pricey, and said to be easy to live with. Their reputation isn't really deserved. I'm onto my third Alfa and none have ever let me down (yet), which can't be said of every other car I've had. In the 70s and 80s Alfas rusted too easily, but most modern ones are fine if you keep an eye on them, like with most cars. If you're buying an older car, whatever it is, you need to be willing to get the odd thing done to keep it on the road.

Really?! I see on AutoTrader they give it only 2 stars. The Guilia they give it 4 stars.

There's been a few on here with a 911 as their halo car. But you can get a decent enough one for £20k. They're a bit pricy to tax and maintain, but on the flip side they don't depreciate like a new Golf or Merc would.
I've never really been a car person and only do 5k miles a year anyway. My Citigo cost just over £8k new, a new Golf or Merc would lose more than that in derpreciation in the first two years:lol:

Back