Your bowling attack for the Ashes assuming everyone is available

Whatever it is I hope we stop resting and rotating Jimmy. He’s a rythm bowler and once he’s in a groove we should back him to play back to back tests.

Interesting to see if Adelaide is actually a two spinner game (if we’ve got one) given how the SG pink ball behaved last week.

Jimmy, Broad, Wood, Jack.

Archer has been massively underwhelming
Agree about Archer.

His excuse about bowling 80mph stood up to some scrutiny while playing under grey skies on a swinging pitch.

But he's producing the same tripe in India, where seamers need to hit the deck hard. Wood has to have overtaken him for me

Agree about Archer.

His excuse about bowling 80mph stood up to some scrutiny while playing under grey skies on a swinging pitch.

But he's producing the same tripe in India, where seamers need to hit the deck hard. Wood has to have overtaken him for me

100% mate. I think Woods interview before this tour was very telling as well. Showed he wants to give it all to the red ball.

Also he can swing the bat. Whereas Jofra looks hopeless

100% mate. I think Woods interview before this tour was very telling as well. Showed he wants to give it all to the red ball.

Also he can swing the bat. Whereas Jofra looks hopeless
Yep. Wood has absolutely a spot on attitude, and wants to give everything.

I like Jofra, but we've plenty of 83-85mph seamers who can get movement - and plenty of them are better at it than him
If he's in the side, it's to bowl fast. Especially overseas. That's it. If he can't be fucked to do that, then bring in someone who will - Wood preferably, but even Stone would've been more threatening.

His batting is such an odd one too! He bats OK in the white ball stuff and has a very solid FC record but come a Test match, he's like Monty with a blindfold on :confused:

Agree about Archer.

Tbh Stone was very impressive in his one game, id have him over this current form Archer

Stokes
Jimmy
Leach
Wood
Stone

Archer doesnt get in my XI, I've watched nearly every ball he has bowled in test cricket, and the majoriy of the time he is mid to low 80s

He isn't quick and he doesnt do anything with the ball

The problem is you can have all the talk, give him 4 over spells etc, but when a big series starts and Root gives him the ball and is first 2 overs he is bowling 83mph to 85mph, as a captain whats he meant to do?

Its too big of a risk

Last edited:
Stokes
Jimmy
Leach
Wood
Stone

Archer doesnt get in my XI, I've watched nearly every ball he has bowled in test cricket, and the majoriy of the time he is mid to low 80s

He isn't quick and he doesnt do anything with the ball

The problem is you can have all the talk, give him 4 over spells etc, but when a big series starts and Root gives him the ball and is first 2 overs he is bowling 83mph to 85mph, as a captain whats he meant to do?

Its too big of a risk

No Broad Roland?

Broad, Anderson, woakes, stokes, archer, wood, leach, virdi and Bess.

mentions in passing for stone, Overton, and any unknown who comes to the fore in our summer

these are in my squad and can mix and match when games come along

You have to bowl a spinner like mate, you dont need 5 seamers

Not as it stands, see how he does against India at home

He'd play in the series of course
Surely that depends on the quality of the spinner, compared against the quality of your last selected seamer and taking into account expected wickets.

Broad had Warner on toast last Ashes ( granted it was home conditions) would not want to leave a bowler of his quality out just to play any spinner

Last edited:
Surely that depends on the quality of the spinner, compared against the quality of your last selected seamer and taking into account expected wickets.

Broad had Warner on toast last Ashes ( granted it was home conditions) would not want to leave a bowler of his quality out just to play any spinner

It doesn’t

Leach is a good bowler

Playing 5 seamers never ever works you don’t need to

Surprised you’ve suggested this

I do think the Archer criticism is still a bit OTT. He’s never excited us as much as we hoped, but his record is still better than Wood’s.

id still go wood ahead of him in Australia. But it’s not like he’s averaging 40 with the ball or anything

I'm thinking more specifically. The Aussies think they're already 1-0 ahead with one of the tests in Perth. I'd love us to win there for the psychology of it all.

Back